Author Topic: DVII  (Read 2706 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
DVII
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
Remember when people said WW1 was boring because it was only Dr.I's?  That changed 3 years ago.
It's interesting how it evolved over time and the DVII came to dominate.

WW1 Tour 90 Statistics for all planes/vehicles/boats
Plane Name   Kills   Deaths   Kill/Death Ratio

Chute   0   1   0.00
D.VII           908   823   1.10
Dr.I           409   415   0.98
F.1 Camel   150   255   0.59
F.2B           178   158   1.12
Gunner   7   0   7.00
Totals   1652   1652   1.00

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: DVII
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:46:23 AM »
Perk it

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
It may be a popular ride but it loses to the dr1 and camel in a low altitude faceoff.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
It may be a popular ride but it loses to the dr1 and camel in a low altitude faceoff.

That has not been my experience.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
That has not been my experience.

I have tried DVII vs a dr1 many times with the same result. I was only able to beat the other player by matching the plane.

The DVII is a climby plane, but it does not shine on the deck where most of the action happens.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
I'm guessing you haven't thought about the advantages and disadvantages of rotary engine torque and how low altitude is an advantage for the DVII.

Training is available.  :aok

Illustrated without comment in the video.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:00:10 PM by FLS »

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
I'm guessing you haven't thought about the advantages and disadvantages of rotary engine torque and how low altitude is an advantage for the DVII.

Training is available.  :aok

Im gonna be stubborn about it because I played endless hours of DOA back when people used to actually play it, as well with countless hours of ROF. DVII is not gonna get you to the number 1 ranking in this environment, it just lacks the real turnability and the stuff you talk about is not gonna make up the difference, there is nothing you can do to change the modelling reality.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
I was FLS in DOA until late 2001. Was =Geff= still doing the aerobatic competition when you were there?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:27:32 PM by FLS »

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »
I was FLS in DOA until late 2001. Was =Geff= still doing the aerobatic competition when you were there?

I played when it first came out, as well as Raider Wars. It must of been 1998-1999 when I first got into it. I started flying the CL2 and me and a friend of mine used to sit there, him on the mouse and me on the joystick taking turns between pilot and rear gunner, that was a real hoot.

Later I flew DVIIs with -walt- and the gang as a squad and we avoided any turny fights unless it was a f2b or spad or we would try to outnumber them. We also got pretty efficient at killing zeppelins. I used to get 2-3 zeppelings per run on a good day.

After that, I flew the DVA exclusively and had a pretty good fighting chance against the Camels and Dr1s, which everyone classed as uber or overmodelled.

Concerning trainers, I wouldn't have the best memory. I went through a bit of time in the TA with them, but couldn't recall any one in particular except that they were all pretty cool.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:26:54 PM by AAIK »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »
Sounds like you were there when I was. CAS and I were Musketeers in DOA.  I flew the Camel or the F2B with CAS. We used to do base capture with F2b's and we did formation aerobatics with a Camel and DR.I or 2 F2b's.

If you'd like to fly a DR.I against my DVII let me know. TA or WW1, either is fine.  :aok

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
Im gonna be stubborn about it because I played endless hours of DOA back when people used to actually play it, as well with countless hours of ROF. DVII is not gonna get you to the number 1 ranking in this environment, it just lacks the real turnability and the stuff you talk about is not gonna make up the difference, there is nothing you can do to change the modelling reality.

FALSE I have accomplished that feat in a DvII. Flown to its strengths its almost untouchable in there.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »
The DVII is a fantastic plane. Basically fly it like a late model 109 than can roll really well. Lots of high yoyos, climb turns, and anything you can do to work the vertical.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »

Apples and oranges. You cant compare one game with another. The DVII has almost twice the kills as any other planes for the past 6 months. I'd go with FLS on this one.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »
Use it in the vert and use roll to your advantage, the DVII is amazing.  I've even been able to hang on for some great fights against some top ranked players in their DrI's.  The Camel is a bit unruly for me, but I've seen other people able to use it's roll to extreme effectiveness too.  All in all, I don't think any of the planes are really overbalanced, except maybe the F2B since it can just hang on its prop and snipe if you really want to...
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »
There's no stats or qualitative descriptions of the WWI planes on the AH website like for the WWII stuff?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234