Author Topic: No hit sprites?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
No hit sprites?
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »
I just started playing AH again, and this is my first time with AH3.  Although normally I do GVs, I am trying to learn to fly again, and I am not noticing hit sprites (or whatever they're called), even when I subsequently got a kill.  My new PC allows me to use a higher resolution, but I should still see something.  Is this something new for AH3? 

BTW, my ping using Comcast is 30-60, which is pretty much the same as it has always been. 

Advice needed. 

MH
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:56:24 AM by TDeacon »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: No hit sprites?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
This is probably due to  your Settings. FOV, whether you use Anti Aliasing and Gamma settings. Those are usually the culprits in my experience. One other big one could be how you have your monitor set up. With Nvidia Graphics cards and using HDMI hook up, the monitor is set as a Hi-Def Television. It will use a limited color palette in stead of FULL. Easy to check. Go to the Nvidia Control Panel and under    Display settings, make sure your Resolution is set to monitors specs and that the FULL shows in color range. May not be your issue, but doesnt hurt to check.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »
Video settings seem to be as they should be, so that's no likely it.  Anyway, I see today I'm seeing hit sprites when practicing offline. 

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:16:08 AM »
Video settings seem to be as they should be, so that's no likely it.  Anyway, I see today I'm seeing hit sprites when practicing offline.
What do you mean as "Video" settings?  Well if that wasnt the culprit, at least seeing them off line can give some hope That you will see them again  :uhoh Eh,your not seeing hit sprites could be that you are missing! A bit rusty but now your gunnery is coming back as you get back into the groove lol   I have those days myself  :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
What do you mean as "Video" settings?  Well if that wasnt the culprit, at least seeing them off line can give some hope That you will see them again  :uhoh Eh,your not seeing hit sprites could be that you are missing! A bit rusty but now your gunnery is coming back as you get back into the groove lol   I have those days myself  :x

By video settings, I am referring to those in Nvidia Control Panel.  Although the version installed on my PC uses different terminology than you used above, there appear to be equivalents. 

Yes, I need to practice shooting, but remember, I have gotten air-to-air kills, which implies hits (I got 2 kills yesterday for example).  In AH2, I was able to observe hit sprites even at long range, but so far not in online AH3.  I typically operate with tracers off, and to check my aim at longer range, will tap the fire button looking for the resulting hit sprite.  So if there isn't one, I am at a significant disadvantage compared to AH2. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:49:18 AM by TDeacon »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
Yes, was just picking at you :x What FOV are you flying with? Also in game graphics settings? Its been awhile since I have played in non VR, but Anti Aliasing had an effect on some things visually.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
FOV is currently 105 degrees.  BTW, I am currently using a 144 Hz monitor, and my frame rate never goes below 100 fps.  Hence I had everything at max. 

Someone suggested I revert to max texture size of 1K from my current 4K; will try that and report. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:56:44 PM by TDeacon »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:03:34 PM »
105 isnt that xtreme. I dont know,Bud? Could be anything I guess. I had Gamma at 1.2 with NO AA earlier flying non VR. Saw sprites just fine. My FOV was at 120 down to 83 same. At around 1.4 gamma sprites were getting lost with in tracers? I saw more at lower FOV, but with VR I am used to being that tight...so I dont know what to tell ya?

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
My understanding is that the higher the resolution setting, the more pixels.  The hit sprites, enemy dots in the sky, tracers, etc. have a pixel size and the more pixels you have in your resolution, the smaller they are going to be.  If I am right, then HTC has to find a pixel size for an object that works for all.  For example:  I have a real difficulty seeing gv round markers in the air.  I see wirble round tracers, but they completely vanish when I go into zoom.  Personally, I wish these things were a bit larger in pixel size.  With this thinking, those with low resolution see these things much better and see enemy dots from further out.  Many times others say they see a plane dot and I can't see the dot until it gets closer.  Again, this is my understanding and may not be completely right.  Any experts out there that could shed light on this?

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 01:36:26 PM »
I can't say if you're right or wrong, but your statement makes sense. If two monitors are of same size physically, one being 1080p and the other 4k, a single pixel on the latter is 1/4 of the size of that on the former.

I suppose that if, say, a distant dot is coded to be one pixel of size to start with, making it 4 pixels on a 4k screen would at least add complexity to the code which would slow down the game. Not to mention that a suddenly appearing 4 pixel dot would look quite extraordinary on a large 4k screen. My eyes aren't any more good enough to see a single pixel if the contrast is too low. Actually, I barely can see the red stuck pixel against a black desktop on my screen...

A one for all dot size will always be a compromise. It's not only about 4k vs. 1080p, there's also monitors whose native resolution is 720p or even less, all available as 15" laptop screens and up. It means that on a 720p screen a single pixel is 9 times as large as on a 4k screen of similar dimensions. Notice that we're talking factory default settings here.

A good enough for most is what we most likely have now.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni