Author Topic: Samsung Odyssey coming soon. Better than Rift and Vive?  (Read 4654 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Samsung Odyssey coming soon. Better than Rift and Vive?
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
Very soon the Odyssey is premiering and will run about $500 for the headset and controllers. It will ahve 1440x1440 OLEDs and IPD adjustment, integrated audio, and a number of other features.

Part of me was looking at the Vive and Rift after their current price drop, but I held off because I need to build a stronger PC before I do that. Now I guess I need to wait even longer. This Odyssey may change the game (or the market, at least!) on PC-based VR headsets.

Anybody else been following this?

Recent article:
https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odyssey-specs-price-release-date-windows-mixed-reality-vr-headset/

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Samsung Odyssey coming soon. Better than Rift and Vive?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
All the Windows VR/AR headsets use reversed tracking which seems to be a bit meh compared to the rift/vive tracking. I'd really want someone to try it first with AH (if it is even supported).

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »
I Have one in the office the HP mixed reality. So far I have not figured to how to integrate it into ah.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
According to Samsung the panels are 1440x1600 each, with a 110 degree FOV.

It looks like the software API's are not going to be available for a couple more months.  Right now it appears as these devices will only run on Windows 10 with the up-coming Windows 10 Update due around October 17, 2017.

Microsoft claims they will have some applications in the Windows store for these devices.  Steam has plans to support them in SteamVR, but they have not announced when that would be complete.  We do know it will not be ready on October 17, 2017.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »
Anything other than the Rift and Vive currently has been gimmicky at best.  I don't care if the resolution is 16K and the FOV is 360 degrees, if the tracking is not 100% natural then its trash.  Also, let's say the tracking is right on with the Rift and Vive, until technology catches up (PC Specs) you can only count on lower frame rates.  If you're getting frame drops with Oculus Supersampling what makes one think they can run a higher res VR headset with current consumer graphics and processing technology?  When beefier GPU's come out and SLI-supported VR headsets with hexacore processing optimization then we can talk, but until then, I'm happy with what we have.  The only thing good about it I see so far is that Samsung's name is on it.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:42:54 PM »
Interesting comments. I guess it will be a matter of waiting and seeing if it lives up to any hype or not. I recall the very prolonged Oculus development delay before much was ready for mainstream use.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 05:12:47 AM »
I have had very bad luck with samsung appliances and electronics I would not buy another samsung product.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
Anything other than the Rift and Vive currently has been gimmicky at best.  I don't care if the resolution is 16K and the FOV is 360 degrees, if the tracking is not 100% natural then its trash.  Also, let's say the tracking is right on with the Rift and Vive, until technology catches up (PC Specs) you can only count on lower frame rates.  If you're getting frame drops with Oculus Supersampling what makes one think they can run a higher res VR headset with current consumer graphics and processing technology?  When beefier GPU's come out and SLI-supported VR headsets with hexacore processing optimization then we can talk, but until then, I'm happy with what we have.  The only thing good about it I see so far is that Samsung's name is on it.

Do not count on SLI support.  NVidia will be phasing out SLI support.  AMD is also killing Crossfire.  This applies to the consumer product line, at this time.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
Do not count on SLI support.  NVidia will be phasing out SLI support.  AMD is also killing Crossfire.  This applies to the consumer product line, at this time.

No complaints here.  SLI has been nothing but a mess in my experience over the past decade.  I haven't had 2 video cards since the 8800GTX back in 2006 or 2007...What a waste of money that was.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
I've been using SLI since it came out back with the first  3dfx and Creative Labs cards.  I used SLI right up until the 1080 series, and had 1080 SLI across several gaming systems.  No more.  VR doesn't like SLI much, and honestly, nothing really does, not enough to make it worth it any longer, only a few FPS games and "AAA" titles that really, really put effort into the SLI profiles/drivers and get the support to do so from nVidia, truly make it worth any extra $.  I went to 1080ti and Titan XP single card instead, mostly for VR, but not only for that.

If someday SLI becomes more widespread with developers, and nVidia ensures that it actually WORKS well enough to make the bang/$ worth it, I'll start putting 2 or more cards into boxes.  Not until then though.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:05:46 AM by Gman »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 06:17:30 AM »
SLI is going away.  So is Crossfire.

I am certain the number of video cards sold, for those configurations, never surpassed the cost of supporting those options.

Now, due to cryptocurrency miners, they can sell all the cards they can build and support costs are lower for those miners.  Big win for NVidia and AMD both.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
SLI is going away.  So is Crossfire.

I am certain the number of video cards sold, for those configurations, never surpassed the cost of supporting those options.

Now, due to cryptocurrency miners, they can sell all the cards they can build and support costs are lower for those miners.  Big win for NVidia and AMD both.

Has that been announced anywhere? I only see talk about 3 and 4 way going away. With the move towards two display VR, I think we will see a further push for a card per display. If you have a source for your conclusions, please post a link particularly as it would apply to VR.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »
I know for a fact they announced they are phasing out Xfire.  Skuzzy is correct, they can’t build enough to support demand almost already.  They don’t need sli to sell cards anymore.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 06:29:25 AM »
I know for a fact they announced they are phasing out Xfire.  Skuzzy is correct, they can’t build enough to support demand almost already.  They don’t need sli to sell cards anymore.

If this is what you are referring to, I would say they are still pushing multiple GPUs but calling it something else under direct x 12. So the developer can now incorporate multi GPUs without having to wait on the vendor to create specific profiles. That seems to be a very positive move again particularly as it relates to VR where two images are being created.

http://wccftech.com/amd-bids-farewell-to-crossfire-mgpu/

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »
Any update on the samsung odyssey and how well it works with AH? The specs seem competitive.