Author Topic: Skin Display Page  (Read 13672 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Skin Display Page
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:58 AM »
Ahh, the default map.  There is no way for me to know which map (Power or Alpha) is being used as a default.

Hmmm,...maybe I should just combine those two (i.e. Power/Alpha) as they are mutually exclusive.

The "quot" error is in the text itself.  It may have been passed through the filter twice as the & has been converted to & which is causing the "quot" to appear as text, and not the ".

You should be able to fix it yourself and see the change instantly take place.  If not, then let me know.

Will ddo, thanks, Skuzzy.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »
Here are the rules, in a nutshell.

If there are no maps supplied with the skin, then the game uses all the default normal, specular, power, and environment maps.

If there is only a normal map, then the game uses a fixed value for the specular, and no other maps are used.

If there is a normal and specular map, no other maps are used.

I'll have to check when I get home from work, but I think the way I just described it is how it is actually working. So far too glossy with no other effects files present, but this goes away with any one file added.

Wouldn't a blank or minimal Normal map cure most of this issue for the orphans?   It's not ideal, but it is better than the glossy finish we have at the moment.  Just an idea.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
Yes, it would fix the issue and blank maps would add practically nothing to the download size as they would compress to virtually nothing. However I have made that suggestion before and it isn't going to happen. If the game is supposed to use the default effect maps if none are present with a skin then it is a bug for it to go as glossy as it does and hopefully that will get fixed.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
Yes, it would fix the issue and blank maps would add practically nothing to the download size as they would compress to virtually nothing. However I have made that suggestion before and it isn't going to happen. If the game is supposed to use the default effect maps if none are present with a skin then it is a bug for it to go as glossy as it does and hopefully that will get fixed.

Well, here's my take in a crude or unrefined form.   Since most of the orphans were optimized for AH2 graphics then less is more.   So a blank Normal would eliminate some of that "panel line overkill" we see since the older skins were using artistic effects to achieve the illusion of lighting and 3D.  (Sorta.)   And I think the default setting being turned down a hair might also help.   Lower the Spec, Env, and Power levels some.

This is based purely on playing with stuff offline.

The Normal map is really screwing with the visuals on those orphans, which is too bad, because a lot of them are still viable with a little help until something "better" comes along.   :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
Ahh, the default map.  There is no way for me to know which map (Power or Alpha) is being used as a default.

Hmmm,...maybe I should just combine those two (i.e. Power/Alpha) as they are mutually exclusive.

The "quot" error is in the text itself.  It may have been passed through the filter twice as the & has been converted to & which is causing the "quot" to appear as text, and not the ".

You should be able to fix it yourself and see the change instantly take place.  If not, then let me know.

Well, this seems to be a problem with the OPERA browser on smart phones.   My other browsers (so far) render it properly but Opera is trying to spit out HTML code.  Since that (Opera via "smart" phone) is the only place it is messed up I guess it isn't a big deal.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:40:15 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2017, 10:01:53 AM »
I'll have to check when I get home from work, but I think the way I just described it is how it is actually working. So far too glossy with no other effects files present, but this goes away with any one file added.

I am just going by what Hitech told me how it worked.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »

Okay so.........  On the Skin Update page it displays normally but on the Skin Display page it shows the &quot thing again.  I'm using Firefox.   Will give Explorer a try and see...

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/skins/index.php?skobj=p51d&display=P51D0108022014&skinname=325FG/319FS%20by%20Vraciu

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2017, 06:03:37 AM »
Let me rifle through that code and see if I am passing the text through the filter twice.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »
Let me rifle through that code and see if I am passing the text through the filter twice.

I think I found a work-around for that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
I think I found a work-around for that.

Thanks, man.   :aok
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Looks like it's working.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
The page is looking very good.

I'll also suggest that the skins be displayed in skin name order instead of .res file order.   That way, multiple skins for a particular fighter group will be displayed next to each other, rather than spread out over the page.

btw, one of Fencer's 3 4th FG skins is named incorrectly - its listed as 334FS/4FG (squad listed first) rather than 4FG/334FS (fighter group first) as the others are.   

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2017, 11:28:29 AM »
The page is looking very good.

I'll also suggest that the skins be displayed in skin name order instead of .res file order.   That way, multiple skins for a particular fighter group will be displayed next to each other, rather than spread out over the page.

btw, one of Fencer's 3 4th FG skins is named incorrectly - its listed as 334FS/4FG (squad listed first) rather than 4FG/334FS (fighter group first) as the others are.

I PM'd him (Fencer) about that nine months ago. 

There is a B at the top of the list with the same problem. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2017, 05:08:32 AM »
I PM'd him (Fencer) about that nine months ago. 

There is a B at the top of the list with the same problem.

May 10, 2017. 

I cannot get Skuzzy to respond to my question, he obviously has too much to do to fix something as minor as that.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2017, 05:47:50 AM »
I really do not remember hearing about it and I could have easily just put it off as it really is a minor issue.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese