Author Topic: Is VR good in this sim?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
Is VR good in this sim?
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
Hi wondering if VR is like track IR can you look around the same way?

Is VR a more immersing experience than a large monitor ?

Is it worth it?
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
Re: Is VR good in this sim?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
Well, was the $700 Asus GTX 1080 FE and the $600 Oculus Rift worth it? HELL YES!!! And now that prices have gone done and options up, it's even more so. It's not the same as TIR, you can only look around as far as your neck and chair allow...you know, like REAL LIFE. You look out over the side of the cockpit and you have a 3 d view, with actual depth perception. You actually get airsick. You have to get used to it. It improves your dogfighting all around, and it gives you an advantage over someone on a screen, because you have actual depth so you can judge where your opponent is going to be more accurately. The person in 2d is at a disadvantage, IMHO.
 So, if I were to have to make a decision based on my experience so far, I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »

Great thank you for taking the time and sharing the info!

I will get some barf bags too.

Saadi

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
Vulcan has been using VR in this game for...well, forever, and he knew something most of us didn't trip to until the Rift and Vives came out.  I was an early adopter of both the Vive and Rift, and couldn't believe what HTC had done particularly with the Rift.  (PS, if you like cockpit games/driving more than stand up games to impress your wife's friends during dinner night, buy the RIFT instead of the Vive). 

HTC IMO was the first flight sim to really make VR worth it, there are a couple others now that have done a good job too, but HTC especially, and HT incorporated the hat/kp view system with VR in a way to make it possible to be competitive and still look behind yourself as easily and quickly as non VR players, something pretty much every other sim lacks still.

Every person, including a couple over at Flamewarriors who read my early review of the Rift early on there, who I have recommended the Rift to has picked one up, and NOT been sorry.

They just made the $399 price with the controllers a fixed price now too, as of yesterday.

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-rift-and-controller-bundle-gets-a-permanent-price-cut-to-399/

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
Vulcan has been using VR in this game for...well, forever, and he knew something most of us didn't trip to until the Rift and Vives came out.  I was an early adopter of both the Vive and Rift, and couldn't believe what HTC had done particularly with the Rift.  (PS, if you like cockpit games/driving more than stand up games to impress your wife's friends during dinner night, buy the RIFT instead of the Vive). 

HTC IMO was the first flight sim to really make VR worth it, there are a couple others now that have done a good job too, but HTC especially, and HT incorporated the hat/kp view system with VR in a way to make it possible to be competitive and still look behind yourself as easily and quickly as non VR players, something pretty much every other sim lacks still.

Every person, including a couple over at Flamewarriors who read my early review of the Rift early on there, who I have recommended the Rift to has picked one up, and NOT been sorry.

They just made the $399 price with the controllers a fixed price now too, as of yesterday.

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-rift-and-controller-bundle-gets-a-permanent-price-cut-to-399/
Yup, exactly...NAILED it :aok   Copperhead TOO :rock   There is A LOT of info in this forum about optimal settings for VR, some other items in here as well. This Game, the Makers and better yet THE PLAYERS make this game worth while. Always Johnny-ON-The-Spot with answers and tips for just about anything. Sorry Lusche...EVERY THING :x
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:38:42 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
The easiest way to describe the difference for me is... I can no longer play the game on a 2D monitor. Before AH3 I used a couple of mods to play AH2 with VR, there was a small gap where there was no VR support and the mods wouldn't work - I had to stop playing AH during that time.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
Thanks Guys I appreciate the feedback

Saadi

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »
$399 is a great price, that's close to 1/2 price from the original cost if you include the controllers which now come with the Rift for that deal.  Good timing to get into VR Raven.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »
That is a great price now. Too bad my current system can't really run it. Good enough for the 2D widescreen, not powerful enough for VR.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »
That is a great price now. Too bad my current system can't really run it. Good enough for the 2D widescreen, not powerful enough for VR.

I run an I3-6100, with a GTX960 just fine.

Offline germ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
Well I just got home with my new Oculus Rift. I'm running a 1070 Nvidia card. Been using TrackIR for about 6 years now in the game.

My immediate thought now that I'm currently downloading the rift software is that this isn't going to be a simple take it out of the box and start playing effort. haha.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »
If you want to get the most out of it, then it does take a bit of time to setup and configure, but I think you will find the returns are worth the investment.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
it really wasn't that bad. The setup from oculus is really quite handholding with good results and once you get into aces high it's also not terribly difficult to get to where you are comfortable.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline germ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »
If you want to get the most out of it, then it does take a bit of time to setup and configure, but I think you will find the returns are worth the investment.

So far about 1.5 hours into this I still haven't even figured out the basic setup and I'm about ready to throw the thing through the wall..

Offline germ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »
So far about 1.5 hours into this I still haven't even figured out the basic setup and I'm about ready to throw the thing through the wall..

Got it to work.. can deff see a huge difference. Need to tweak all the setting though. The depth perception is cool.. looking backwards in my fav plane (P-51) is a bit of a pain.