Author Topic: VR prescription inserts  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
VR prescription inserts
« on: October 11, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
i know a couple other players have mentioned using these, I've been using them for a short while too now as my contacts were just getting too dry using the Rift.

I bought both sets from the VR Lens Lab group, and the WIDMovr company.  Both have their positive attributes, but i'm satisfied with both.  The VR Lens ones are VERY cheap, and if you live in Europe come quickly, I waited 10 days in Canada after ordering, and that included a 4 day long weekend where no mail moves here, at all.  They are easy to insert, although the Widmovr ones do this a bit better due to the nature of  their design.

I have a fairly light/average script, -2.0 right and - 2.5 left, but a pretty significant astigmatism in the right, but that wasn't an issue at all, they got the power in just the right place with both companies.

I'll put up some pics later on of the Widmovr lenses, the VR lens lab ones are like so -

With the basic lenses, without various coatings, which is what I got for the VRlens lab ones as their rep was a bit more spotty, and I didn't want to waste $ on stuff that had little effect according to what reviews I've read, the cost is only 40 Euros/$48USD.  They work fantastic for me, absolutely PERFECT.  The Widmovr models cost about $75 USD including shipping, and there was no duty at least into Canada, likely the same for the USA as well, and they took 9 business days to arrive, not bad considering.

Once I play around with the Widmovr ones, which are of a bit better quality, I'll post an update.  I'd recommend either if you wear glasses or contacts, these things keep your regular glasses from damaging your lenses, or not fitting well, and if you can't or don't like wearing contacts for any reason, this is the solution.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

https://widmovr.com/

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:22:59 PM by Gman »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: VR prescription inserts
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
+ 1, I got the Widmovr set - made a huge difference.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »
I have a Widmovr pair. They work well, are easy to install, and reasonably priced. I was surprised how quickly they arrived in the U.S. from Poland.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:25:15 AM »
I have the VR Lens Lab ones and am very pleased with them. Occasionally one of them may become displaced but usually only after a good few hours of wearing the Rift and constantly raising it to see outside of it.   The lenses definitely make a huge difference and I would recommend them to anyone who normally need glasses.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline germ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »
I need to get some. :(

My frames are relatively small, so I'm getting away with just wearing glasses. But it is just a touch uncomfortable.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Germ, I had narrow frame glasses I bought specifically for VR myself, as contacts I can only stand for a few hours wearing the headsets.  Similar experience as you're describing with them, plus the risk of scratching the VR lenses was always a concern, every minute I had them on.

I have both the types listed by myself and others here, and both were surprising effective for their cost.  IMO I'd go with the Wdmovr as they tend to stay in place a bit better, but as Flossy said, I too have had good luck with the LensVR set which aren't connected to one another, and only had one pop out of place once so far, and it was because I twisted the headset a bit taking it off.

Well worth the $, you won't regret buying either.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 03:11:55 PM »
I was wondering what part of the spectrum is the problem. After my eye surgery, I have the eyesight of an eagle but up close, I'm practically blind without "reading" glasses.

Would I need a set of these to use the Rift?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
Its kind of weird, but VR is almost the same as REAL. I am near sighted :uhoh I think thats it. Close OK far prescription lenses, never can get it right, or did I :huh Anywho, if you need glasses to see at distance, then you will need them with VR and probably the same if can see far. Least thats how I understand it :old:  I put some serious scratches on my Rift lense(left eye) and didnt even realize my glasses were even in close proximity :mad:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »
I was wondering what part of the spectrum is the problem. After my eye surgery, I have the eyesight of an eagle but up close, I'm practically blind without "reading" glasses.

Would I need a set of these to use the Rift?

You should be fine if you are long-sighted as it is short-sightedness that is the problem.  As far as I remember there is some advice on the VR Lens Lab website Gman linked in the OP.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »
Thank you, Flossy and 1stpar3 for your replies. It makes sense now.

I was very disappointed in Facebook not upgrading the Rift to 2560 screens and didn't intend rewarding the man for his decision. Now I'm still holding the money for the purchase and it's burning a hole in my pocket.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001