Author Topic: Nothing can keep a Dickweed down  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
Nothing can keep a Dickweed down
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
The year is 1943. After the loss of CO Vega, I disappeared from the Air Corps and joined up in the Armored Division of the Bishops. I fought many fierce battles, lost many tanks in the battlefield but my tank crew and I always came out on top.......till our last battle of Mindano......
So many planes shot down. So many lives taken. So many bombs dropped. All in a days work :salute

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
Re: Nothing can keep a Dickweed down
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »
It was a hot Summer of 1943. My tank crew and I were scouting the jungles of Mindano, looking for any signs of the Knights. We found cities in ruins, air and vehicle bases destroyed and pillaged, bodies of fellow service members everywhere, aircraft and vehicles destroyed beyond repair. My tank crew and I stopped at A47 to salvage what we could for ammo that might have been missed by the Knights. We couldnt find anything so we decided to move on. As we were leaving A47, we seen a large dust cloud in the horizon and it appeared to be getting darker and bigger. Thinking it was an incoming storm, we decided to take refuge with our tank inside of one of the B-17 hangers and close the hanger doors to protect from the incoming storm.
So many planes shot down. So many lives taken. So many bombs dropped. All in a days work :salute

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:58:55 PM »
After shutting the hanger doors, my tank crew and I found a B-17. still intact but appears to have sat for centuries. Well, since I knew my way around a B-17, I decided to get closer to it to look for some type of insignia on the nose as it was covered in dust. I started wiping the dust away and came across a very familiar insignia. It was the insignia of the Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group. My eyes popped wide open as I stared down the insignia. One of my tank crew members had found me staring at the insignia. He thought I had found a ghost, which, I actually did. He then asked me what was wrong and I told him that this plane was from my old squadron. None of my tank crew knew I was a former pilot of a B-17. I had all of the other tank crew members gather at  the B-17. I then explained the story of the greatest Bomber Group that ever lived and how proud I was to be a part of it then. They were shocked and wondered why I left to join the Armored Division. I explained to them what happened, that we were in a large bombing raid and we had many casualties. A few of us barely made it back in our bombers. It was also the day that the greatest CO the Dickweeds ever had, was KIA. After that, I lost the will to fly.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
After telling my story to my tank crew, I was curious to find out who's bomber this belonged to. I opened up the belly hatch and climbed in. I looked around inside the plane and came upon the navigator's charts but didnt find anything of significant use. I then decided to move up to the Cockpit and have a look around. I then looked under the pilot's seat and found a squad picture of the Dickweed Bomber Group. I showed the picture to my tank crew as I was in the picture as well and so was the original CO and crew. I havent seen this picture in years and then it dawned on me.....this was my B-17 that I last flew but wondered what it was doing here, it was parked at Dickweed HQ last time i flew it. The only thing i could come up with was that they were short on planes and had to use mine for a bombing run but why park it at a destroyed airfield, fully intact and flyable? That question remains unanswered.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:19 PM »

I decided to run some preflight checks just to see how good of condition this thing is in:

Flaps: Check
Aleirons: Check
Fuel Status: Half Full
Wheel Brake: Check
Oil: Check
Radiator: Check
Tail Rudder: Check
Battery: Check
Hydraulics: Check

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:53 PM »
The only thing I could think of was this plane was stashed here to hide it from something or someone. I decided to see if this thing will start up. I called my tank gunner to the cockpit and had him sit in the copilot's seat to help me get this thing started  up. I had him activate the switches from his side while i activated mine. Props turned a bit but didnt turn over. I kept turning the switch to start the engines up again and the props began turn but engines chugged and didnt start up. I said "Come on Ol' girl, daddy's back" and then I turned the switch one last time and she started up without any hesitation. I then decided to have my Tank loader take command of the tank while my tank gunner and I decided to take this old bird for a flight once the storm has cleared.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
As I turned off the engines to my old B-17, I heard a faint rumbling noise that sounded like another tank outside. I had my tank crew get into the tank while I investigated the noise. I looked out the window to the hanger and noticed another tank. As I was looking at the tank I noticed there was a Rooks insignia on it. I said to myself "Didnt the Dickweeds annihilate the Rooks before our big bombing run?" after I said that to myself, another tank pulls up next to it and it had a Knights insignia on it. I was like "I thought the Knights and Rooks were sworn enemies. Why would they be along side each other?". A few seconds later, here comes a whole Army of Knights and Rooks tanks. I knew then that we were in serious trouble and not in a good position to do anything. I saw a Knights tank commander and  Rooks tank commander meet up and I happened to have over heard their discussion. They were looking for the last remnants of the Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group which included crew and planes. The Rooks wanted revenge and figured that if they joined forces with the Knights, it could happen.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
Fearing this could be a new threat, This info had to get out to Bishops HQ right away. We covered up the bomber's insignia with an old parachute. Tail number was also covered over as that would also have been a give away once they traced it back to the Dickweeds. After we covered those parts up, tank crew was ordered back in the tank and not to make a sound or whisper. I then went back to the window and continued to monitor the Knights and Rooks. Then I came up with an idea......we needed a distraction and our tank was the perfect one for it. Once the Knights and Rooks tanks started up and began moving away from the air field, I ordered my tank radio operator out of the tank and had the tank driver wait for my signal to leave the hanger. My radio operator and I climbed into the B-17. I had him operate the gunner positions while I was in the cockpit. I then showed him the radio area and asked him if he knew how to operate a B-17 radio and he said he did. I then gave  the signal for the tank to leave the hanger and distract the Knights and Rooks. Once they were distracted by our tank and not near the hanger or runway, I decided to start up the B-17 and taxi it out of the hanger and onto the runway. I then moved the throttles to full and the plane began moving down the runway. Once the plane started down the runway, the Knights and Rooks saw the plane and the parachute covers coming off the tail and nose. The Knights and Rooks then realized that that was a Dickweed Bomber and focused their attention on my B-17 to stop it from taking off and alerting the Bishops. As the B-17 was getting close take off speed, a lone Rooks tank was on a collision course to am the plane and stop it from taking off so they could capture us. Not gonna happen. I activated the WEP to give it a boost of speed to reach the take off speed. Once the take off speed was reached, we took off and just barely made it over the Rook tank. I then flew the plane like a gunship and told my radio operator to hang on tight and get ready to let some lead out.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »
I turned the plane port side in circles and had my gunner start shooting at the light armor vehicles. Several of those vehicles were destroyed. I then had my radio operator get on the radio and contact Bishop HQ using the tail number to identify. Bishop HQ noticed in their records that the B-17 was considered lost/destroyed and thought it was some kind of Knight trick. Once I had the radio operator use is callsign and the callsign of his commanding officer, they then knew it wasnt a trick. He then radioed the knights and rooks position at the airfield to HQ and even they  thought the Rooks were annihilated as well. They were even more surprised that the Knights and Rooks joined forces. HQ advised high command that this is a dangerous threat. HQ was authorized to send all available resources to the airfield to fight the Knights and the Rooks. HQ advised us that help should be arriving within 30 minutes and asked us to hold our position. HQ  was also advised that we have 1 friendly tank on the ground and that they were in serious trouble. HQ radioed nearest Vehicle base to roll out all Armor to the airfield ASAP.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
As I am flying my B-17, I had my radio operator tune into the frequency of our tank so we could monitor them and advise them that HQ has been notified and that help is on the way. When I had done my preflight checklist, I noticed that we had bombs in the bomb bay so I decided to put them to good use. I didnt have a bombardier but i wasnt worried about that cause it was all low level bombing runs. As I flew over the enemy tanks, i dropped a bomb on some of the tanks chasing our friendly tank so I could slow the enemy down. It worked but then the Knights had radioed a flight of Me-109's to intercept our bomber. They were 5 minutes out. I had my radio operator man the guns to the bomber. 2 Me-109's had arrived and started shooting at our bomber. My radio operator started shooting at them. It was hard to shake the enemy planes so we had to out smart them. I decided to fly towards the direction of a friendly airfield to see if I could get any friendlies that were inbound to A47 to help get those planes off of us. My radio operator managed to shoot down one of the planes so we only had 1 to deal with. As we got closer to the other airfield, we came across a whole massive squadron of P-51's that were enroute to A47. We called out on the radio for them to assist us and they gladly joined in. Once the Me-109 realized he was getting shot at from behind, he peeled out of there really fast. HQ advised me to RTB to HQ so nothing can happen to the bomber. I advised them that I was having radio issues and that one of the Me-109's shot the antenna and damaged it (it was total BS but you know how that goes). I then had my radio operator turn off the radio and I set a course back to A47. I was not leaving my tank crew behind. As we arrived at  A47, the P-51's were joined by other Bishop aircraft. Numerous tanks were seen destroyed all over the airfield. I was looking for one particular tank. I tuned in to their frequency and called out for them......nothing. Beginning to worry, I tried again and finally got a hold of them. I was glad they were ok but they were crippled really bad. I advised them that air support is here and incoming friendly armor should be here in about 10 minutes and asked them to hold out a bit longer. They stated that they will fight to the death and hold their ground.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
As we fly around A47, we saw the friendly armor starting to roll onto the airfield and chase off the remaining Knights and Rooks tanks. Once the airfield was clear of enemy vehicles and the skies were cleared, I landed my B-17 and headed for the hanger I found her in. I knew I wasnt a pilot anymore and that I had no right to keep flying this bomber anymore. As I exit the B-17, a commanding officer from HQ was waiting for me. I knew I was in trouble for disobeying an order to RTB. I knew for sure I was gonna be thrown in the brig for a long time. I then advised my radio operator that my tank gunner was now in command of the tank and crew and to pass it on to him. He exited  the plane first and then I came out of the plane and stood in front of the commanding officer of the Bishops. I stood at attention and saluted him. He removed his sunglasses and thats when I realized who he was. My eyes popped wide open and it was knob.

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
After being debriefed by knob, I then advised him that I disobeyed a direct order from HQ. He knew it would happen and realized that if I hadnt have done what I did, this plane would have fell into enemy hands and my tank crew would have been killed. He did note the disobeying of orders and pulled out my file and said, "Looks like nothing has changed since you left for the Armored Division. Off the record, when the I was a part of the Dickweeds then, we heard rumors that you were KIA shortly after joining the Armored Division. But your alive and we are happy to see you again." I then asked him what happened to the Dickweeds and why my bomber was at A47 and not at Dickweed HQ? Knob said we were short on bombers and had used my bomber for a special mission that was compromised and had the plane had to be ditched. I asked him who flew my plane here and he said the name of Grnegle. I asked him what happened to Grn and the others. He said Grn was captured by the Knights shortly after flying my plane here to hide it. He further said that the others were wounded and killed in combat when the enemy hit the Dickweed HQ and leveled it. He further said that the Dickweeds have a new HQ now but have about half of the crew they use to have. I then thought to myself and knob knew what I was thinking and said that my spot is still open and if i wanted to come back. I let him know that I needed to get things in order for a new tank commander before I came back to fly. He understood and I walked away to join my tank crew and told them what I was gonna do. Then I thought to myself that This crew could continue on without me and still come out on top. My tank Gunner would make a great tank commander so I grabbed my backpack, my firearm, and my rifle, and went back to General knob. "I then stood at attention, saluted and said, "General knob!! Permission to report for duty to the Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group sir!!!". Knob then looked at me and smiled and said......

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
 :salute Bandit, great story!
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Bandit92

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 05:15:51 PM »
Thank You steely. I always think of you guys all the time  :)  :salute

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
The DHBG was always a force to be reckoned with... and always a class act.  Would be great to see more of groups like that. <S>