Author Topic: A throttle to drool over!  (Read 2732 times)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
A throttle to drool over!
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
This has just been announced:

https://virpil.com/en/blog/89-introducing-the-vpc-mongoost-50-throttle

Also Virpil and Baur have joined together.  I have a Baur BRD-DN and could not be happier.  Flight sim equipment is finally getting SERIOUS!

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: A throttle to drool over!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:45:17 AM »
Bad design in my opinion, as the user's arm will constantly rest on the buttons. If you look at any other throttle available, they do not extend the control panels beyond what a normal resting hand would "tent" over.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:09:16 AM »
I'm kind of in agreement with Del.  It might be alright mounted properly on a platform mounted on a chair though or in a simpit.  Those two dials in particular look like they're in prime position to get bumped constantly by your forearm though.

Another thing I've noticed in the last couple years with the higher end sticks has struck me as odd.  I see a lot of toggle switches.  At the end of the day, every flight sim I've seen only seems to interpret things as either buttons or analog controls.  So for example, if a button is tied to "raise/lower gear" it raises the gear when it's down, and lowers the gear when it's up.  It seems to me with a toggleable switch if you mapped it to gear, for example, it would switch your gear state when you flicked it either up or down, is that correct?  What if you had it switched to "up" then got shot down, then launched a plane?  At this point the switch is now in the "up" position and to raise your gear you'd need to flick it down, wouldn't you?  Or are they all single position switches?  Or do they work differently than I describe here?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:29:33 AM »
Not only do I agree with the above assessment, in today's environment I don't trust anything offered online from Russia (as well as most Eastern European nations), China or Ethiopia.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
Bad design in my opinion, as the user's arm will constantly rest on the buttons. If you look at any other throttle available, they do not extend the control panels beyond what a normal resting hand would "tent" over.

I see your point.  In my case the throttle is mounted low so that my forearm is at a 90 degree angle when my hand rests on the throttle handle.  A higher/desktop mount probably would result in a button conflict.  These are expensive controllers so most who are interested would mount accordingly.

I shared Arlo's concern about ordering anything from Russia.  Having been disappointed with the cost and constant maintenance required for TM and other mainstream manufacturers sent me looking elsewhere. My orders from Baur and MFG both went smoothly and they were very good with e-mail notifications.  Virpil is currently making their products available through Amazon UK and they are preparing to launch on Amazon US soon.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »
Oh, I do not like that at all.  I like the X52 throttle better than that one.

Not only are the controls under your arm, you also have to remove your hand from the throttle to use any of them.

It looks cool, but it is not a practical design for most.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »
I see your point.  In my case the throttle is mounted low so that my forearm is at a 90 degree angle when my hand rests on the throttle handle.  A higher/desktop mount probably would result in a button conflict.  These are expensive controllers so most who are interested would mount accordingly.

I shared Arlo's concern about ordering anything from Russia.  Having been disappointed with the cost and constant maintenance required for TM and other mainstream manufacturers sent me looking elsewhere. My orders from Baur and MFG both went smoothly and they were very good with e-mail notifications.  Virpil is currently making their products available through Amazon UK and they are preparing to launch on Amazon US soon.

Well, that might make a difference, in my opinion. As far as the design issue, I suppose mounting it on some sort of wedge to tilt it to 40 - 45' might help mitigate switch issues. I've been planning a simpit for .... ummmm .... 20 years. It's the dream that never dies (or lives - zombie dream?).

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
I could kinda picture it in:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
All that work and cables coming in through the cockpit?  Appalling!

I'll never have a simpit.  I do like my modified recliner though with platforms off the arms for my stick/throttle.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
I want mine with a canopy. Reduces distractions (wife/TV/other).

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
About the only thing I really want is an Oculus but it's going to have to wait for my next computer.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
Oh, I do not like that at all.  I like the X52 throttle better than that one.

Not only are the controls under your arm, you also have to remove your hand from the throttle to use any of them.

It looks cool, but it is not a practical design for most.

For AHIII I would agree that the base buttons are somewhat superfluous.  For other sims, both flight and space, I think they will be quite useful.  As far as removing your hand from the throttle to activate a switch or lever, even a Cessna 150 requires that. ;-)

This throttle is certainly designed for those willing to make or buy mounts to accommodate.  That is why the base has mount holes.  The same can be said of the BRD and Virpil joysticks.  These controllers are as high end as you can get without going for military/commercial training gear.  For me, any controller that gets away from the cheap plastic/pot metal offered by TM, Saitek, or CH is a plus.

TShark

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 12:55:51 PM »
Yeah I don't like how all the buttons are under your arm either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
Not only do I agree with the above assessment, in today's environment I don't trust anything offered online from Russia (as well as most Eastern European nations), China or Ethiopia.

It the last few years, the best joysticks and pedals have come from Russia or other places in the former Soviet block.  For example, VKB, excellent joysticks and pedals that blow Thrustmaster and CH gear out of the water and they're Russian.  Excellent customer service as well.  I was a die hard CH fanboi (used to work for them as well many, many years ago), thought nothing would replace them.  Then Chuck Hayes went out and sold the company to some French industrial firm and the product and customer service nosed dive afterwards.  My CH pedals were wearing down (had them for about 18 years), looked at the VKB T-Rudders Mk. IV, saw they fit the needs I had and bought them and don't regret it.  Great product.  I've heard similar things with Bauer and Virpil, but they're more suited to the jet sim type games than old warbirds.

As for the MongoosT-50 Throttle, I agree with Del.  It's not very ergonomic, the user will become fatigued because they'll try and keep their arm and wrist of the buttons.  That's why I really do love the CH Pro Throttle design.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »
It the last few years, the best joysticks and pedals have come from Russia or other places in the former Soviet block.  For example, VKB, excellent joysticks and pedals that blow Thrustmaster and CH gear out of the water and they're Russian.  Excellent customer service as well.  I was a die hard CH fanboi (used to work for them as well many, many years ago), thought nothing would replace them.  Then Chuck Hayes went out and sold the company to some French industrial firm and the product and customer service nosed dive afterwards.  My CH pedals were wearing down (had them for about 18 years), looked at the VKB T-Rudders Mk. IV, saw they fit the needs I had and bought them and don't regret it.  Great product.  I've heard similar things with Bauer and Virpil, but they're more suited to the jet sim type games than old warbirds.

As for the MongoosT-50 Throttle, I agree with Del.  It's not very ergonomic, the user will become fatigued because they'll try and keep their arm and wrist of the buttons.  That's why I really do love the CH Pro Throttle design.

Well, I do respect your opinion. Now it's down to Rubles.