Author Topic: how long would it take?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
how long would it take?
« on: October 15, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »
To move the strats back to a central location, like the old days?

Online 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: how long would it take?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »
No thank you...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »
 :furious  :bhead  :headscratch: :old: :(

That about covers my thought about the whole state of the strats/resupply system
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »
Who are you nominating to be forced to go through this? It will have to be done by hand and the new location sculpting and old location clean up time has to be considered or you end up with old location scars in the terrain. Lately I'm seeing terrains where things were simply plopped in with no terrain blending so you have verticle inside corners and squared off edges 200 feet high. The worst, a 1x1 mile airfield object's elevation was set lower than the ground it was moved to with it at the bottom of 100ft deep square bowl. Now it sucks landing there.

you can build your own terrain and place all the strats near each other with the minimum 3 mile separation. My terrain BowlMA you would screw it's pooch if the strats were pulled off the main island of each country. That is 1\3 of the reason to get to each main island. And I put those there to make it easier for bombers to attract defenders with out everyone having to waste their time off in the back field of each country away from the main activities. If your strat gets whacked, and it's that close inside your country, you deserve your inconveniences. I even put spawns to them for the Lazyboy resupply generals. And you can see the bombers coming for a very long time to get setup to attack them.

Build your own terrain and go through all the problems with terrain design and how what looks easily moved around to suit whims was really put together with some rational by the designer. The terrain editor is a free tool supplied in your game folder.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:41:11 PM »
Who are you nominating to be forced to go through this?
How long would it take? Is a question. And with your clear knowledge, one that could have been answered. but thanks for the flack.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
Bustr did not give you any flak, yet you implied that he did by quoting only some of Bustr's post

When he simply offered you the chance idea of messing around with the terrain editor, to see for yourself and get an idea of how much thought, time and redo's it takes to just create some of the simplest of terrains....

How long would it take? Too Long to even attempt to do it....plus why do you want to move backwards in terrain design, when HTC,  the terrain builders, etc.... are moving forward for better improvements of the terrain, objects, weather systems, improved strats/strat system...etc.....

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Opinions vary i guess.. Never mind then. Keep doing what you are doing... Let me know how that turns out for you.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
Opinions vary i guess.. Never mind then. Keep doing what you are doing... Let me know how that turns out for you.

It takes some time, can it be done? Yup they did it once before. Each map would have to be rebuilt. To Bustrs standards it could be a weeks work per map. Quick and dirty, maybe a single day per map. The point however is "would they?".

My guess is no, they changed it for a reason and it has been this way a long time which tells me it works the way they wanted it to.

Send Hitech an email, he might answer you in a private email.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:52:52 PM »
It would take me a day to arrange all of the strat with the HQ in a grid with the required 3 mile separation. Then I would have to come up with solutions to patch the locations I took each strat from. I would have to adjust the location I would be expanding strat into along with painting both locations to blend in the the localized painting the conversion person did when he converted the AH2 terrain to AH3. Only my BowlMA and Buzzsaw are original AH3 terrains.

Would I do all of this for you, no. Would I do this for Hitech, I suspect he dosen't have a good enough reason at this point to ask for a volunteer. When he does ask for help he has a good reason. Anyone on the AvA terrain team and the CM terrain team can do the same one day conversion. Will they do it for you, yell at them and see if they are interested.

Open the terrain editor and build your own idea of a Melee arena terrain. Place the strats in a grid with a 3 mile spacing between the boarders of each object. The HQ and 4 of the objects are 1x1 mile objects, 2 are 2x2 mile objects.

I decided to see the shortest time I needed to spend on a whack job which is what these changes have ended up doing to terrains over the years. Since they are not part of the original designer's allowance for the terrain design and field spacing's, which are mandated for Melee arenas. So the objects get slung around with very littel work on the underlying terrain to match the original intent at either end of the object move. 30 minutes to whack my test furballing arena with painting thrown in and no "logical shoreline". I already have 10kft cliffs so I won't run the shore creation tool. I opted for speed of the whack job not to finesse a good looking shore line by hand. Looks clunky don't it.....

The area you can stuff the HQ\City and 5 strats is 11x11 miles to have the 3 miles spacing.

I would have had to create a logical topographical decline from 1000ft down to the shoreline or make some cliffs so it would not look like a whack job. Kind of like the shore line here. Just build a terrain, Easyscor is an excellent teacher and advisor for terrains. Put all of the strat on your terrain inside of a 11x11 area and have fun bombing it when your terrain comes up in rotation. And why did I do all of this and these screen shots, most of you have no idea what it takes to make the changes you that only take you a few moments to write about.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 01:52:19 AM »
That was the answer USCH was looking for in the first place....it is unfair to say he can't ask that just because he's never messed with the terrain editor or doesn't have the time or the skill/technical ability to....Ive tried and yikes I couldn't do anything for like 2 hours so I gave up.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:33:50 AM »
They deserve to give him a hard time. They work, he complains. This is the typical modus operendii of the whiners. They want everything to be the way THEY want it to be, with no concern to anyone else's desire, or the work involved for those who do it, many of them for free...
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »
It would simple I would think to just increase the hardness of the strats.  The strat play has gotten ridiculous, and heavily favors the large country during side imbalance.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »
It would simple I would think to just increase the hardness of the strats.  The strat play has gotten ridiculous, and heavily favors the large country during side imbalance.

Tying downtimes to side numbers might help:

Bish 50, Knit 30, Rook 20.  Nominal downtime = 30 minutes.

Bish kills Rook radar, downtime = 30 minutes * 20/50 = 12 minutes.
Bish kills Knit radar, downtime = 30 minutes * 30/50 =  18 minutes.
Knit kills Rook radar, downtime = 30 minutes * 20/30 = 20 minutes.

Rook kills Bish or Knit radar, downtime = 30 minutes (does not increase beyond nominal).

Doesn't account for local number imbalance, or 2-on-1 gangbang, but does mitigate the overall advantage of outnumbering the opponents (without depriving anyone of their favorite ride).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:14:22 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
They deserve to give him a hard time. They work, he complains. This is the typical modus operendii of the whiners. They want everything to be the way THEY want it to be, with no concern to anyone else's desire, or the work involved for those who do it, many of them for free...
That's just not true, look at his OP...its not a whine it's a question and Bustr could have just said 2-3 days of work...I love bustr to death but his walls of text can be frustrating lol.

And he's a paying customer...and entitled to an opinion just like you are.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 11:37:18 AM »

Some where between 0 and an infinite amount of hours.

HiTech