Author Topic: Thinking about 4k... what would I need?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Thinking about 4k... what would I need?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 06:13:44 AM »
Thanks for correcting that, Skuzzy. It was the single pixel I was thinking of.

I suppose two pixels still don't make a plane, or even four? I mean, at what pixel count you start drawing a "full object"?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
It may not be a full object being drawn, as we have many levels of details available, but once it is not longer a pixel, then some level of detail is being drawn.  It may be a line, but it is no longer a pixel.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
I see... So would a distant approaching plane be drawn with four pixels on a low resolution screen, like this:   .:. but on a hi res screen with more details in the same scale? Like   ...:::...  ?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Exactly.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 02:36:06 AM »
One last (bunch of) question(s) on this somewhat of a side track:

If I understand you right, the image of a plane will diminish to a single pixel before disappearing, independently of the resolution. Does that mean that when the pixel disappears on a lo-res screen, there'd still be a few pixels visible on a hi-res screen and a coarse image on an ultra hi-res screen? Like 720p: . , 1080p ... and 4K ..:.. ? If so, how long of a distance are we talking about, and further, how many (milli)seconds are we talking about in case of a plane flying towards you? I.e. is the advantage of seeing a single dot sooner or later significant?

Or is the disappearing point set according to the distance rather than along the number of available pixels?

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 05:52:21 AM »
Once the object is being rendered as a pixel, it will be a pixel on any monitor.  The distance at which that occurs is the same, no matter what the monitor resolution is.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
I realize it's not worthy of a sticky, but I"m copy/pasting/savubg Skuzzy's post related to resolution and game/target sizes for future use, this comes up an awful lot still.

Ever since Drex famously reduced his res to 800x600 from the typical 1024 res many ran back then (myself included, although sometimes a bit higher), when he beat all comers, there has been much discussion, disagreements, etc, regarding what reducing the resolution does to the size of the targets on the same screen/monitor. 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:51 AM »
Reducing the resolution will increase aliasing, which in certain distances, could make a target easier to see, but it is not due to the target being a different size.

If you want to increase the percentage of monitor real estate, a target takes, then decreasing the FOV is the most effective method.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 11:54:51 AM »
Perfect, thanks Skuzzy - again, this does come up very frequently, often when new monitors and their sizes come up.  I've put your posts here together into one single post and saved it so I can cut/paste it for future reference, as this will be coming up again, and it's your description is obviously accurate and also concise, so I hope you don't mind if that's done when this subject - and it's an important one so far as the experience in game - returns again.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 06:25:04 AM »
As long as information provided is accurate, I do not care who the source is.  Anything which helps expedite getting accurate information, to someone asking for help, is a good thing.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 08:16:19 AM »
I have 1k, 2k and 3k 27 inch Gaming monitors and I like the 2k the best. The 3k bogged my system down and didn't see much of a difference between it and 2k. I think 2k is perfect for AH. I am playing with my VR now and its pretty cool.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
^^^^ that.

Note that 4K will literally quadruplicate the load on your video card. The 1060 is very good for 1080p @ 60Hz but not much past that.

Also, if you get an "über" card, you'd probably also need a better power supply.

For what it's worth, a couple of my friends managed to get used info monitors, 46" and 54". They say the pixels don't show so there may be some difference in the panels and the pixel size compared to a regular TV. I've seen the 46" and can confirm the pixels didn't jump out at some 4 ft.

1060 6gb playing every game 144hz fine. Just saying :)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
Reducing the resolution will increase aliasing, which in certain distances, could make a target easier to see, but it is not due to the target being a different size.

If you want to increase the percentage of monitor real estate, a target takes, then decreasing the FOV is the most effective method.

I was about to question the line logic until this post.  The increased aliasing must be what makes the difference for me.  I was on a 32" 1080p monitor and I switched over to a 32" 1366x768 monitor, and the difference was night and day for me seeing planes both at dot distance and when it becomes multiple pixels.  I've a sneaking suspicion depending on DPI stuff that renders as 1 line of pixels before it becomes 2 the lower res makes a difference.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
1060 6gb playing every game 144hz fine. Just saying :)

Thanks for telling, I'll add that to the chaos in my mind, trying to remember it when someone asks this kind of things.

Kotisivuni