Author Topic: FREE Aces High? New way to get fresh players?  (Read 17005 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: FREE Aces High? New way to get fresh players?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
I'll paint a big "Red Bull" logo on my plane if they give HTC money for that :)

AH already has free arenas, it is just that they are not the main arenas.

I do belive that HTC need to hand out more free trials. They can have special "Free weekend" login to the main arena, or a free Scenario or some other free special event in the SEA.
These should run in parallel to advertising pushes.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
A promotion campaign is very much in need. A new approach to promotion and getting people to stay in the game longer. I for one was disssapointed by the steam site. The opening video showed very little intensity, 0 actual air combat, 1 plane, it had very little effect. There were 3 thumbs down reviews only (two of them were written by 8 years olds). 0 actual information in the news thread besides in-game updates that looks like it's from a computer. No list or advertisement of special events. 2 weeks free isnt enough time these days. I honestly think a real marketing team working with actual hard core players will make a much better impact. The current site on steam is doing very little to attract most players, if they don't decide to play the game first. 

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
*****sigh*****
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »
There is no magic fix for getting more players but IMHO you essentially have 3 key problems:

1) Steep Learning Curve - AH is a fantastic sim and if players are patient enough and get to know the ropes then they may consider sticking around.

2) Diehards vs "Gamers" - You have too many "gamers" that are used to console type games, and not able to (or not wanting to spend the time) adapt to something more complex such as AH. The "diehards" are the ones that generally have a passion for this type of game (WW2 based, multiplayer online) and after they have tried a number of others see the value in staying here such as many of us have done over the years. The gamers are the challenge and unless we continue to improve making the learning curve easier we will stay much as we have been.

3) The Cost To Play - The reality is $15 a month is not too much by some peoples standards but too much by others. When there are other sims out there that are not as good...but 'good enough" because they are free to play this is where we lose players. If they don't see the value in AH based on the cost or get hooked in those 2 weeks as many of us have then they are not going to come here.

There is no simple answer and I sure don't have any on how to fix the problem...but I think the above are 3 starting points. HT & crew have definitely noticed the #1 problem and they continue to try and develop better informed tutorials, etc. Many of us can also watch for new players and take them under our wing to assist with training. That will help. Otherwise...I have no other answers but like everyone hope to see us grow again.

Cheers!  :salute
Elec1

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »
Complex?

If i can play AHIII i am sure a millennium can pick up the game :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
I think trying to dumb it down so the ADD gamers like it is the wrong tactic. Instead, I think providing more access is the key. I felt like I didn't get my first proper "kill" kill -- like I totally earned it and got it myself and it was worthy -- took 2 years for me to get.

I would suggest getting people hooked is a matter of giving them access. More than we have now.

So, I suggest: 1-month free trial, instead of 2 weeks. Also, the trial is not once-only, and you can try again every... let's say... 6 months to get another month trial. Good way to get newer players hooked. Then if they're playing in free rooms or offline and such you'll give them a taste of full access and get them hooked again.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »
I have always thought the two weeks a little short... only for the fact that you can...but will not play 24hrs a day and every day...thus your two weeks can go by and you only clock up a dozen or so hours of play time.... I think a hours / minutes time frame could be a go.... you get so many hours and they only clock by when you are actually online..that way you can get TA time during without wasting online game time..gives the time needed to set the hook.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:55:09 PM by SPKmes »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
I have always thought the two weeks a little short... only for the fact that you can...but will not play 24hrs a day and every day...thus you two weeks can go by and you only clock up a dozen or so hours of play time.... I think a hours / minutes time frame could be a go.... you get so many hours and they only clock by when you are actually online..that way you can get TA time during without wasting online game time..gives the time needed set the hook.

Good idea.
There are 336 hours in two weeks.  It may take a month or more to actually use up online gaming hours.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
I think that, while this is a magnificent game, it's a niche game. There just aren't as many WW2 junkies as there used to be, and also there is always new eye candy out there to seduce those who have the attention spans of a dog in a yard full of squirrels. I hope it gets better, but as we get older, I'm afraid the numbers may continue to drop.
Who is getting older :uhoh OH,RIGHT, I see...had to put my glasses on. I agree, its VERY MUCH a Niche game. Its not really set up for Gamers,per say, either. To really get the most out of this you really need the TIME and EQUIPMENT. Both of these can be a struggle for most. Sure as price goes, this is a cheap-ish price to pay..especially for what all we get. It is just that it takes so much time and effort to compete! Most games are quick to understand and pick up. All First Person Shooters use pretty much the same controls from one game to another. If you are good at one, another one is pretty much plug and play. Aces High...completely different! Yes you can fly with a mouse or key board, maybe even an Xbox controller,. MAYBE :uhoh I dont think, however you could even compete in a short time period, with some one using a Joy stick and or Rudder system. That also costs money. It can be a big investment, and unless you have a DRIVING Force or reason to play this type of game., it can be too much. I have no idea how to change that,or even if it is something that COULD be changed. Its just a different age I guess. Most of us started with Atari or Nitendo, so this Game is the STUFF we dreamed about growing up! These new gamers had PS3 and Xbox1  and never went through the PONG is great era :D Just hard to compete. it takes a special sort of gamer to enjoy what we have with Aces High. Wish there was an easy way to help new players,that are REALLY into the game, to get their feet off the ground easier(as in setting up with equipment). For example buy 6 month subscription and get 15 dollar gift card towards a cheap Twisty Stick. Logiteck or other in same price range.High Tech couldnt do it all, but perhaps if we really want to change how it is, maybe add 5 bucks a month to help out? Just thinking out loud here. I for one, would be more than willing to give it a go. I just believe that some times we have to be the CHANGE we are looking for. :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
Good idea.
There are 336 hours in two weeks.  It may take a month or more to actually use up online gaming hours.

Coogan

yeah...that's why it would have to be cut 100 /150 hours...that side of things is for the stats to work out
Other side of being forced to use your time within two weeks though is yet another way to hook people I would say...makes them need to get on and play more intensely so as not to waste the free stuff....so who knows....times have changed..as have attention spans....you really need to offer as much free to get them to spend these days.
I know when I first started...well more after my two weeks....I was clocking up stupid amounts of hours...between work and eating....there wasn't much time left for sleeping hahaha
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:58:47 PM by SPKmes »

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Funny how some people feel free to want to give away somebody else's game/livelihood paycheck.
HTC already gives away 2 weeks free play- the WWI arena AVA arena and I think the SEA arena's are free
you can make and play in your own arena for free.

it seems to me that we have had a lot of new and steam players come and go.
I believe to the ones that leave find it to technical and hard to play. I may be wrong.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
'Our Base Is Under Attack' in-game warning could be replaced with audio advertisements.   :banana:

*Edit* Almost forgot.  Add real-time bill-boards in towns.  :aok

Coogan

if you are already playing in the game why do we need in game advertisements?
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
Why dont we put AHIII on stream?
unless you are being scarcastic--HTC-AH is already on Steam-don't know what Stream is-except for running water

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 06:07:35 PM »
i last played on here under a name other than kingpen a year ago tried to play and my system could no longer work the program  that was disconcerting but guess i just need to update  anyone know if 0Rick still plays  Notar sfox  all my old squaddies :cry
NoTar does Sfox pops in 3 or 4 times a month

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »
if you are already playing in the game why do we need in game advertisements?
The advertisements would be for other products, not ads for AH.
This Buds' for you.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear