Author Topic: Refurbish high use, refurbish AH1/2 models, or add new?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Refurbish high use, refurbish AH1/2 models, or add new?
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Let's imagine that you're the co-owner of a large MMO - or, imagine you're Hitech. 

You have three distinct issues to address with respect to in-game player-controlled objects.

1. You have a list of planes/vehicles/ships that are essentially using the same design model from AH1/2. They're in desperate need a refresh. I.e. Tempest.

2. You have a list of high-use aircraft that players love, they were updated in AH2 recently, and get a lot of use in the MA. I.e. P-51D, Spitfires, La's, etc.

3. You have a gap in your player game-set or ideas from other players to add net-new objects. Japanese tanks. Landing ships. Flying boats. More Italian playables. Other allied objects (tanks/ships/aircraft). Interesting gameplay options (i.e. Submarines). 

So, where do you focus your limited resources? Do you update really old objects, focus on your higher use playables, or introduce new objects?

Discuss!

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Refurbish high use, refurbish AH1/2 models, or add new?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
1 3 2, if it were me.  With 3, ignoring new things like subs, focus on improving what's already here.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
Add a Japanese cargo delivery vehicle.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »
Add a Japanese cargo delivery vehicle.

We already have the Betty.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
Type 1 Ho-Ha!!
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
We already have the Betty.

hehe don't tell JunkyII I said this but we already have the M3 hehe.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Add Kamakazi loadout for Japanese planes so we can crash them into ships for more immersion.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
Add Kamakazi loadout for Japanese planes so we can crash them into ships for more immersion.

I did the "Red Leader Yaaaaaaaaah!" on a CV the other day.   Was pretty cool.   But it didn't damage anything other than my ego.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »
You buy 3D professional models today and adjust them for your game engine. There are a number of 3D artists who specialize in 3D aircraft models for games and simulations. I suspect only if something is very rare does Waffle get into the ground up 3D creation business for rides anymore. They even have tanks in the links below.

Check these two sites as an example:

https://www.turbosquid.com

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft

Why do you guys always try to town hall format force Hitech to do what you want?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
please explain to the dummy(me) how do you up grade a P-51D-LA-7-Spit16 if these planes were the last versions  used in WWII, not arguing or dissing anyone. so how can the planes be up dated if they are the latest historically correct version's to be used-you know plane counts-kills etc.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
3 could bring in more new players.

(hint hint   subs,  combat troops...)
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
please explain to the dummy(me) how do you up grade a P-51D-LA-7-Spit16 if these planes were the last versions  used in WWII, not arguing or dissing anyone. so how can the planes be up dated if they are the latest historically correct version's to be used-you know plane counts-kills etc.
They're just using the old AHII environment models - the new graphics engine allows for much more detailed aircraft. The idea is to then take a P-51D, and update the cockpit and 3D model to the new settings.

It would be handy if Hitech could take advantage of pre-made models like Bustr pointed out.  Is that even an option?

Bustr - check out the Ju-52 model: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-junkers-ju-52/737330 :x

Or the Ju-288: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/historic/junkers-ju-288c

SM-79: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/historic/savoia-marchetti-sm-79-sparviero

PBY Catalina: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/historic/consolidated-pby-5-catalina-38093dc9-c9c7-41c4-afc3-04fc434835da
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:34:25 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »
If the creator of the 3D model has a version in the 3D format used in our game or, a conversion can be requested. At least one of these guys who is prolific with WW2 aircraft Chip Basschao seems to take requests. 3D art now days seems very standardized cross platform. Or our world may be using a scale that forces Waffle to build everything from scratch. So far Waffle is my 3D art Hero..... :x
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »
Some rides (like the Tempest) really scream out for updating. 

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
Even if a 3D model exterior shape for a new aircraft is bought from an outside source there is still a huge amount of work to be done in creating the interior cockpit 3D shapes and art as well as any gun positions, this was one of the reasons HTC dropped interior art for GVs. Then there is low level of detail work, damaged parts modelling and art, ordnance and so on.