Author Topic: issue with Fraps AVI  (Read 542 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
issue with Fraps AVI
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
I've posted to youtube for years with few issues, but am now having a issue.  I record with AHFilm software, view in the AHfilm viewer while running Fraps to capture the view and produce an AVI of the original AHfilm.  When I attempt to open the Fraps AVI in Windows Movie Maker to edit the sound is there, but no video.  if I open the same AVI file out of Fraps in Windows Media Player it plays as normal with sound and video.  Anyone else have this issue with Movie Maker?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: issue with Fraps AVI
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
It's possible that WMM is having issue with multiple sound tracks in a video file, or something. It's not a very complex or robust video editing tool. You've been doing okay for some time now, but WMM is at the whim of Microsoft updating codecs and drivers and such and possibly FRAPs' latest update changed how the encoding is done slightly. See if you can find any options in FRAPs regarding the sound capture. It's been a while since I looked at that so I can't give you any specifics.

I know I have some issues with DXtory, which records my microphone on its own track. That microphone track won't play on normal players because it's a second audio track. I have to import it into an editor and then I can play it with the track and hear my vox.

Sounds a little like what you've got, so I would guess (just a guess, mind you) it has to do with the audio channels or the settings in FRAPs as to how the audio is encoded.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »
My issue is not with the sound, it's the video that is not showing, I hear all of the sounds fine.   If I open the Fraps AVI in Movie Maker there is no video, just sound.  if I open the Fraps AVI with Media player it works fine, but I can't edit.  I'll move on to a different editor.  Thanks
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
Whoops, I swear I read it, but my mind read it the wrong way.  :bhead

I'm going to lay the blame on this one mostly on MS and/or windows CODECs. I know they've done a windows update or two in the past that had some impact on my installed CODECs and some files no longer play on my default preferred viewers anymore. However I can still open them in a video editor and then save-as whatever format I can get when I'm done.

I know a number of people use WMM because it's there, and mostly it works. While I would recommend getting something a little better, I totally understand if you can't. Have you checked for the latest version of FRAPs lately? They might have fixed/tweaked something that would resolve the issue.

Troubleshooting list, off the top of my head:

1) FRAPs at the latest version?
2) video settings in FRAPs? Try another compression and see if that works?
3) VMM up to date? Were there any windows updates you installed around the time it stopped working?
3a) Got any old files you know worked that you can reimport into WMM as a test? That would confirm WMM and not FRAPs

I don't know about how WMM is integrated into windows, but if it has an uninstall/reinstall function that might be a way to go. If you had a CODEC pack before this happened, can you reinstall that CODEC pack?

Other than that, maybe some other software might serve you better.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »
I did have an old WMM project that I always imported to every video that I created, it contained the squad logo and 113th info header and trailer info, I just used editor to insert my new video and perhaps some music and save it and export the finished product to youtube.  That old WMM project also has the same issue, sound but no video.  I picked up Filmora for a $57. lifetime fee.   I can accomplish my editing needs with that.  Thanks for your input.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
Sorry there wasn't a cheaper fix. Good luck.  :aok

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
Sorry there wasn't a cheaper fix. Good luck.  :aok

Time will tell as it is just a one time price tag and the effects and music base allows me with much greater options, besides the cartoon environment of Aces High I do a lot of video and photo editing which this product will also do.  So not to worry.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes