Author Topic: Created a test map, tried to load it  (Read 1713 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Created a test map, tried to load it
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
I followed Kanth's video to a tee.  But when I go to load the terrain and click offline practice, the CraterMA map loads, not my test map.  My test map is in the list.  Any suggestions?

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Created a test map, tried to load it
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
Click on "Choose Terrain", choose your terrain name. If it is longer than 8 letters small case, go into the terrain editor, export it. Create a new terrain properly named and import that height.raw file.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
Oh, and no special characters for the name just letters or numbers (no under scores, dashes, etc.).
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
Got it.  Fixed.  Thank you.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »
New question.  Why do I have the ability to drive straight through rubble piles, tank revetments, and bridge embankments.  Also, some of the objects have weird colors.  Such as: the ruins, windmills, and farmhouse buildings are all bright blue.  Are we allowed to edit these colors?

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:04:54 PM »
No the standard objects provided with the editor you can't edit. You would have to the uncompiled files for them to be able to edit them. By this I mean while you can make a new airfield layout the standard fighter hangar object can't be edited. You only can place that in a different position in a custom tile.

We would need more information about where and how you are seeing windmills, ruins, and farmhouses, since they shouldn't be bright blue. in AHedit or in the built terrain. Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?
CM Terrain Team

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
New question.  Why do I have the ability to drive straight through rubble piles, tank revetments, and bridge embankments.  Also, some of the objects have weird colors.  Such as: the ruins, windmills, and farmhouse buildings are all bright blue.  Are we allowed to edit these colors?

Some objects, mostly speedtree, are meant to be installed in the OE instead of the TE and will appear blue. To clarify, they belong in terrain tile sets such as terrset00.
In the case of ruins01-04, the texture for these items was never completed; maybe that should be a bug. You can export the objects from the OE and you'll see a single tiny texture named 'collision' or something like that iirc.

As textures were allowed in AH2 MA terrains, you might be okay to created and include a set of textures to replace the single 'collision' texture. How are your skills in Blender or AC3D.

Be sure to set your objects as Can collide except for Map rooms and Entry points. That should fix rubble. Anticipating why you want it, I have no idea if it would be accepted in an MA terrain.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:29:04 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »
Ah, Easy I think hit the nail on the head. I never thought of placing certain objects manually into the terrain instead as part of a tile. Generally placing objects individual via the Terrain editor is frowned on since if you place to many this way it used to cause issues. Not sure if it still does. You can place bridges manually (like bustr did for his latest map). In some SEA terrains I placed ships manually (Pearl ... which would not be accepted for a MA terrain) and some planes manually to provide static strafing targets (again in Pearl and would not be accepted as a MA terrain). But there is not much else you should place statically.

If you wanted to create say new area for tank battles it is best to do that by making a new tile in OE than manually placing things like Windmills and farms in the TE.
CM Terrain Team

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:39:05 AM »
If you wanted to create say new area for tank battles it is best to do that by making a new tile in OE than manually placing things like Windmills and farms in the TE.

This is what I'm trying to do.  But I don't know if new tiles would be allowed in the MA.

I see shapes in the terrain editor list called tanklndne, tanklndnw, tanklndse, and tanklndsw.  These are the things I want to make.  But I won't even bother if they won't be approved for a main arena terrain.  And I'll set this effort aside if adding individual objects into the terrain won't be approved either.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:48:28 AM by 8thJinx »

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »
I don't have experience in creating new tiles others always did that for the SEA terrains. That said if you are using just the existing objects in the OE you have a better chance of it being acceptable for the MA. Remember that HTC would have to review and approve the new tile for the terrain. So you might want to ping them first to make sure they will even accept a new tile submission (8thjinx's tank town) and what their guidelines for a new tile would be.

CM Terrain Team

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »
I'm trading emails with Skuzzy on this subject.  I'll post the outcome.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
I talked briefly with Hitech about "one of objects" and it got around to something I had not thought about. There is a minimum spacing for objects from each other that Hitech mentioned to me if I was going to pursue this. FPS impact by objects in a small area is the concern in the MA because the MA has so many objects in any 40 mile field of view for your PC to process. If you get a go ahead to try this, you will need to find out how Waffle tests for FPS impact when he creates new objects like the 1x1 feilds and the 2x2 tank town. Or Hitech may have a way he can do it himself once you have a prototype to test.

This may be why he suggested using the new tank revetment objects as berms. If you bribe him maybe Waffle can fill in the revetment cutout and make it a mound of dirt so there is a revetment02 object. Then you would simply get a rule for how many and how close they are spaced inside of a given area. I can already see a possibility if you pull up a 50ft hill, then add some of these in a pattern around the hill. Also bridges don't have to cross anything, they can be legacy aqueduct segments.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »
Forget the existence of bridges and revetments and buildings for a minute.  I'm still coming back to this: if somebody had the means to make the terrain that currently exists on the GV bases and towns, why can't the same means be employed by other interested parties to make the ride from a spawn to a base more interesting game-wise (i.e. - tank fights) than what's being offered now. 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »
From my experiences with Hitech and AH3, object count for a given area. You should really just ask the question straight out and wait for Hitech to answer.

Hitech, can the small hill like berm objects Waffle placed onto the Tank Town object and the vBase objects be turned into their own one of object for Melee arena terrains like the bridge objects?

If this is what is holding you up from building new terrains.....hmmmmmm. Adapt and overcome, work around it, AH2 is dead and gone.

Here I'm in the middle of testing things for my next terrain. This is the smallest combat structure you can build with the limitations of the polymesh. After testing this I would raise the bottom of the ditch a bit so a tank doesn't stop against the other wall needing you to restart 1st gear to get it to nose up. The bridge static object is not the one with the berms at each end and why I sank the ends in the ground. You can drive over it so it acts as a high point for sniping but there is a limitation in bridges now. If you drive either forward or in revers under the bridge, once more than half of your vehicle is under the arch, your commander view is popped onto the road bed above until you clear half of your vehicle out the other side. I have not got the time to wait on Hitech to solve my problems so I test a lot. I've found if he likes what you want with your terrain he answers right then. If what you want to do has FPS or program issues he tells you quickly. If he is not into your idea or your request, he ignores you. So I quit hitching my happiness to him answering my demands and just started testing until I came up with something.

For anyone wondering what is in the air in the background, a mistake with blending the edges of two bands of gray for the heightmap. Happens sometimes and a lighter gray border is generated one pixel wide between the two bands of darker gray. Tops of those are about 25k... :O 

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »
I know it takes a lot of work to put terrains together, I mean no disrespect, but if I was a tanker that used to play AH2 and came back to see what was cooking, and I saw that, I'd say that was an order of magnitude better graphics wise, but not as good as the terrain we had on the approaches to the bases in AH2.  So in a nut shell, we made a great leap in the visual presentation, but left some of the ingredients on the counter because they don't fit in the pot.

Here's my list of things we had in AH2, that we don't have now:

1. Long, clear lines of sight from a dominant, commanding, somewhat concealed position (read that as elevation) to areas where the enemy spawns in/approaches from/sets up at.  The distance from position to enemy varied from 1.8k to 5k. (Think of the hills at the 85 spawn on Compello, 135/136 in Ozkansas, the center of NDIsles, etc).  These areas were fought hard for, and it was difficult to knock the enemy off of.
2. Areas of prime, excellent cover that you fought over. (Think of the center berms at 85 spawn or 135/136 or 34+26/Montis.)
3. Opportunities to rush a gauntlet to gain an advantage. (Think of the beach at the 85 spawn, or the hill in front of the main lines in the Crater, both of which had cover you could leapfrog from and to.)
4. Confining terrain features that channeled or bottlenecked GV play, like the mountains in the Crater, or the ocean and the hill at 85 spawn, or the water at 135/136, the skinny islands on tagma.