Author Topic: New GV dar  (Read 42346 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
New GV dar
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
    Why not give GVs a big fat red icon too?  No I don't like It.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: GV DAR
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
Yeah.... I mean in WW2 you had to use your ears and had HOURS of warning as they clunked and clanked over the horizon. You'd see dust trails for miles behind them narrowing to a tiny point indicating exactly where they were, and then confirming that with a black smoke exhaust coming from the engine compartment. I mean, they were 10 ton tanks that were so loud people knew were they were any time they were ever in use, and they could never stand up to air power -- hence why the Germans, the yanks, the US, just about EVERYBODY that flew over battlegrounds that had armored tanks developed planes to KILL said tanks.

But.. I mean.. sure.. make them invisible. Pretend that they can have an effect on others without others having an effect on them.

Fighter planes kept you safe, not stealth. You were a target. Get in, get your job done, and get out. You linger, you die. Or get a friend or two to fly in your area and shoot any heavy, lumbering planes with bombs down before they get to you.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »

Minor correction, Krusty:  Even the Shermans were over 30 tons, the Tigers were like in the 60 ton range. 
Something of that weight is gonna be loud, and leave tracks. 
When they fire, they had "some" residual smoke, even with the smokeless charges of the time.
Having said that.......I miss the days when it was all about combat and fighting. 
The 6K icon range was a bit excessive, but something along the lines of 2.5-3K would be worth experimenting with, IMO. 
You "should" be able to either spot a GV on the ground, or at least follow their tracks.  Any vehicle of that weight is gonna disturb the ground in some manner.  What we have now is not "stealth", it's more of a Star Trek cloaking device.
I used to GV some back in the day, when numbers were high, and you had some visual reference to help you estimate the ranges. 
Now, just gonna leave the GV stuff to the "experten" who've had time to conquer that aspect of the game.  Been sent to the tower too many times these past few months with no sound of a shot, or hit, or anything.  Just poof back in the tower with a message of who killed me. 
I'm thinking as much about the potential new player who gets that done to them enough, and then decides it's not worth it.  The learning curve has always been steep, but how can you learn when you don't see the shot(s) that kill you?  Or where they came from?

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
And they never parked under trees and just waited for the bombs as they parked in the open or sped over open ground and roads. (sorry for size  width/height cmd wouldn't resize)
[img width= height=]http://www.veteransofthebattleofthebulge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/tank.jpg[/img]
Ground Pounders ...

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
Minor correction, Krusty:  Even the Shermans were over 30 tons, the Tigers were like in the 60 ton range. 
Something of that weight is gonna be loud, and leave tracks. 
When they fire, they had "some" residual smoke, even with the smokeless charges of the time.
Having said that.......I miss the days when it was all about combat and fighting. 
The 6K icon range was a bit excessive, but something along the lines of 2.5-3K would be worth experimenting with, IMO. 
You "should" be able to either spot a GV on the ground, or at least follow their tracks.  Any vehicle of that weight is gonna disturb the ground in some manner.  What we have now is not "stealth", it's more of a Star Trek cloaking device.
I used to GV some back in the day, when numbers were high, and you had some visual reference to help you estimate the ranges. 
Now, just gonna leave the GV stuff to the "experten" who've had time to conquer that aspect of the game.  Been sent to the tower too many times these past few months with no sound of a shot, or hit, or anything.  Just poof back in the tower with a message of who killed me. 
I'm thinking as much about the potential new player who gets that done to them enough, and then decides it's not worth it.  The learning curve has always been steep, but how can you learn when you don't see the shot(s) that kill you?  Or where they came from?

Why do we expect the GV part of the game to be simple for beginners when the AC part isn't?  A newbie has the same or greater issues with AC in this game.  I wouldn't want Hitech to dumb down the AC game, and don't want him to dumb down the GV game either.  Remember, AC have speed; GVs have stealth.  Take either away and it's a whole new ball game, and IMHO a worse one. 

With respect to not seeing the shots that kill you (i.e. the tank shot flying through the air), I got rid of that issue by reducing the max texture size to 1K (it had been at 4K).  That helped me see hit sprites as well.  Whether this is a bug or not I'm not sure. 

MH
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:26:47 PM by TDeacon »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
To equate sitting in a bush undetected until the cows come home with stealth and skill is just silly.  No one is wanting dumb down the game, they are wanting to motivate those who want to sit and hide for too long. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:49:11 PM »
To equate sitting in a bush undetected until the cows come home with stealth and skill is just silly.  No one is wanting dumb down the game, they are wanting to motivate those who want to sit and hide for too long.
Never till the sheep come home, but maybe just till the  hunting IL2, stuka etc.  runs low on fuel, gets bored or a friendly makes the skies unfriendly for the GV hunter. Usually barely long enough to even go get a brew and a sammich.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:34:17 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
Never till the sheep come home, but maybe just till the  hunting IL2, stuka etc.  runs low on fuel, gets bored or a friendly makes the skies unfriendly for the GV hunter. Usually barely long enough to even go get a brew and a sammich.

The GV hunter gets bored or runs out of gas because trying to find your cowardly arse in the bushes is an exercise in futility given the current GV icons.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »

This is fake news, it is a lie. Waystin has posted in the same thread where this statement was posted by HiTech:

The change was designed PRIMARILY for gv v gv play. But it will change to a sector ( size of sector to be determined) based system in the next attempt.

HiTech

The GV hunter gets bored or runs out of gas because trying to find your cowardly arse in the bushes is an exercise in futility given the current GV icons.

Good idea, stop being futile. Hopefully your ineffective hunter goes and does something productive, as opposed to attempting to increase his kill count by searching a stationary vehicle that is not shooting anything.

"Look mommy, all these bad guys I killed that were like ants under a magnifying glass and couldn't shoot back."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »
radar was lowered to what we have today because of all the people "hiding" from a fight by running NOE all the time. Now we have GVs making it the top tactic to "hide" all the time parked in the trees and bushes.

So we get something to make it easier to find GVs.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
This is fake news, it is a lie. Waystin has posted in the same thread where this statement was posted by HiTech:

Good idea, stop being futile. Hopefully your ineffective hunter goes and does something productive, as opposed to attempting to increase his kill count by searching a stationary vehicle that is not shooting anything.

"Look mommy, all these bad guys I killed that were like ants under a magnifying glass and couldn't shoot back."
Oh man Move over Flipth, Kildoi is wanting on my ankle too!  LOL  Somebody hand me the Epilady I can't see him through all those leaves...  :rofl
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:07:55 PM by Skuzzy »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
Actually used the "quadrant DAR" last night in a Storch to find a tank that had been hiding in the trees for 20 minutes.  It worked very well -- maybe too well.  Pinpointed his location (never saw his icon) and he started moving when I surrounded him with orange smoke.  By the time he got to the field I was in the air with bombs.

It will be interesting to see how the "GV sector counters" work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:51:21 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
Maybe I drove 20 minutes from the spawn through almost impenetrable forest to set up a position to try to take your base and I will lie quiet till you leave so I can shell your town or base.  You spout about any non (at every moment) combat, cowardly arses as most hordes aim is to destroy DAR/Ords/VH to suppress combat and set up the vulch light. That's almost as hypocritical as calling stealth move and hide for GVs cowards hiding from game combat or griping because they set up off field to blow your taking off/landing plane on your field as unfair cause it's not your kind of combat.  It's a game, we all play it differently. If we all played the same then how boring it would be.  You've made your preference for aircraft and disdain for GVs quite clear, but I think 'viva la difference' keeps this game going and fun. Hope to main gun your plane soon  :aok
Ground Pounders ...