Author Topic: New GV dar  (Read 42589 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: New GV dar
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »
That statement is true any time I drive near a base you're patrolling.  :aok

You sir are always a challenge, and when I'm successful, which is not near all the time, I have a real sense of accomplishment. :aok
 :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
Problem would be drawing the trails from the individual GV's would be a huge hit on the system. That's what the simple icons are supposed to represent: the ability to accurately spot and track the enemy at realistic ranges beyond the capabilities of the game.

Like you said, restoring the 6K icon would solve many of the problems.

Perfect statement, right there.  Not sure about the 6k icon thing.  Were icons once visible 6k out?

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »
Perfect statement, right there.  Not sure about the 6k icon thing.  Were icons once visible 6k out?
Up until the Storch was put in the game in 2012 they were.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Problem would be drawing the trails from the individual GV's would be a huge hit on the system. That's what the simple icons are supposed to represent: the ability to accurately spot and track the enemy at realistic ranges beyond the capabilities of the game.

Like you said, restoring the 6K icon would solve many of the problems.

I don't know a lot of detail about graphic engines, but I would be curious how much processing power it would actually take.  In simplistic terms, I don't know that it would be that much worse than the amount of craters an airfield can be covered in if a task group gets on it with guns for a while, or when a B29 unloads a full bay of the tiny bombs.  I could be wrong, but I don't think it would be that horrific on your system.  Like I said, the only tricky thing I can see would be making it so you couldn't "roll up" your 1000 yards of tracks under you by rocking back and forth.

I think the best things to add would be the visual things that were actually indicators IRL.  Dust in motion, smoke on firing, and tracks.  But I could be wrong and it might be too much of a performance hit.

But dear God the screams of the GVers would be biblical.

Might've been 3.  I remember when they were long you could see an icon, set up for it, and bomb him in one pass.  TBH I felt it was unfair for the GVer.  Problem is,  with it as it is now, I feel it's too far the other way.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
I will help with base takes or defense and I hunt GV's all the time, and have had no issues doing so in AH3 with the old icon no radar.  I just find it funny that there's a group of people willing to leave the game because the mechanics have changed to try and assist in fights as opposed to helping avoid them.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:52 PM »
I don't know a lot of detail about graphic engines, but I would be curious how much processing power it would actually take.  In simplistic terms, I don't know that it would be that much worse than the amount of craters an airfield can be covered in if a task group gets on it with guns for a while, or when a B29 unloads a full bay of the tiny bombs.  I could be wrong, but I don't think it would be that horrific on your system.  Like I said, the only tricky thing I can see would be making it so you couldn't "roll up" your 1000 yards of tracks under you by rocking back and forth.

I think the best things to add would be the visual things that were actually indicators IRL.  Dust in motion, smoke on firing, and tracks.  But I could be wrong and it might be too much of a performance hit.

But dear God the screams of the GVers would be biblical.

Might've been 3.  I remember when they were long you could see an icon, set up for it, and bomb him in one pass.  TBH I felt it was unfair for the GVer.  Problem is,  with it as it is now, I feel it's too far the other way.

Wiley.

But a bomb crater is a single object. They all are the same. With vehicle tracks, you would need to somehow draw a unique object for every vehicle.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
I will help with base takes or defense and I hunt GV's all the time, and have had no issues doing so in AH3 with the old icon no radar.  I just find it funny that there's a group of people willing to leave the game because the mechanics have changed to try and assist in fights as opposed to helping avoid them.

I agree, GVs are pretty reasonable to see without the dar if they're pressing an attack.  If they're just getting into an area to sit and flash it though, it can be nigh unto impossible to find him.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »
You want to make GVDAR irrelevant?

Waystin and I in HurriD and IL2 find 98% of all GVs we up to defend a field from. The 2% we cannot find are players who have bothered to learn what tree types cloak them best on the different terrain tile sets. It tends to be the same 2% of very talented players, GVDAR does not help with locating them.

So offline up into the different terrains and take screen shots of how you hide in the best kind of trees to turn your tank invisible with your engine off. Then post those and an explanation here in the forums on how to be invisible and the trees that help you. But, then it would give away some of the secrets to back shooting other tanks with impunity.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2017, 05:07:44 PM »
But a bomb crater is a single object. They all are the same. With vehicle tracks, you would need to somehow draw a unique object for every vehicle.

LOL I love spitballing this kind of stuff.

To a certain degree, I see what you're saying.  It would be a bit more complex than a crater in that it would need a location and an orientation as well.

But other than that, all it would need to be is a pair of lines.  In simple terms, every time you moved a tank length, you'd drop a track object.  But we have ship wakes, I don't know that it would need to be be that much more complex than them, just longer?

Obviously it would have to disappear when you die.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline DurrD

• Zinc Member
Re: GV DAR
« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
     Mark me down as another thumbs-down vote for the new gv dar.  I don't think that vehicles should be able to be completely invisible, and while I prefer complete historical realism as much as possible, I understand the need for game-play concessions in some cases.  I just think that this one goes a little too far. 

Here is my proposal for what I would like to see instead:
- Yes to sector dar for vehicles that have their engines running (distinguishable from sector bar for aircraft).  This simulates that the invisible people that theoretically inhabit our maps are reporting the sounds of engines.
- All vehicles with engines off should be effectively invisible to dar of all kinds (still can be seen relatively easily if somebody ups a Storch).  This allows some degree of sneakiness and ambushes for gv-ers that are so inclined.
- If within a certain range of an airfield/vbase/port, say within the range that acks would normally shoot at you, then I'm ok with some kind of more specific mark on the map (even if the acks are down).  This could simulate the idea that if an enemy tank is on your base that you have people on the base reporting it's location to you.
FBDurr -- A Freebird since 2013, been playing Aces High since 2001.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
How about go back to no dar, but add auto 8Lbers in Towns, Cities, Strats and Bases?

Planes have to deal with autoack when going against any of these objects...  shouldn't GV's deal with the same thing?

As is, unless you're in a very light vehicle, the most autoack will do to you is possibly track you, maybe knock out your turret MG, or knock your rockets off.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2017, 06:05:35 PM »
They put the trees there to make it harder for GV's to maneuver on the map and it came back to bite them in the (you know what) get rid of some of the trees add the convoys and trains back.........like in AH II. Will some one explain how this radar and gv icons have helped improve the game..........how.

Why don't you build a terrain, you have an incredible amount of control over the trees like I have done on my first two terrains for GVers at every spawn on each terrain. That's hundreds of micro GV combat terrains I tweaked for GVers specifically. Mostly the terrain and all features on it is up to the terrain builder, most of them who built the original AH2 terrains are gone. The AH2 tree densities were sparse compared to the AH3 densities and when the conversion process of the AH2 terrains ran through the terrain editor, it updated to the best of Hitech's programing a 1:1 for all the tiles. So where GV spawns once had wide open vistas that you could fly through at grass level, and spawn camp to death. AH3 had eye candy realistic trees that no one touch up with a grass tile to keep the original terrain builders intentions for GV combat because no one knew how the trees would end up affecting the GVers.

No one had any clue what the now gone early terrain builders had intended at each GV spawn and it wasn't worth looking at the same terrain in an old copy of AH2 at every single spawn to try and Sherlock out some long gone player's rational. Many really didn't have one more than wanting a GV spawn near some place to have a tank fight. And it's taken me two MA terrains and several hundred GV spawns to understand how the new terrain tiles impact GV's and how to fix it for them. It's a few minutes to even an hour per spawn to fix them. So how many terrains are in rotation from AH2 and how many GV spawns on each terrain?? Do you know how to do any of this??

Nothing Is Broken..........stop attacking Hitech without knowing a lot more about all of this then you do. Online games release patches all the time to keep their product working because there is no way to account for 100% of all problems when it comes to computers. And as the technology and OS the players use changes, patches are needed constantly to account for that. Every company that sells software applications or operating systems is constantly releasing patches. This game is just another application like any other computer application. Good software companies work all the time to keep their software patched as part an parcel of the profession or they close their doors.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2017, 06:24:53 PM »
They put the trees there to make it harder for GV's to maneuver on the map and it came back to bite them in the (you know what) get rid of some of the trees add the convoys and trains back.........like in AH II. Will some one explain how this radar and gv icons have helped improve the game..........how.

It makes it easier for the "I want it now/instant action" type gamers we have coming in to find the action they are looking for in the game.

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »

The point is that GVs are pretty much at the mercy of bomb****s. The GV dar doesn't assist in starting a fight: it facilitates the death of the GV that caused it, probably WITHOUT a fight. GVs need a stealth advantage because they are so killable.
Base and town flashes and red end sortie/green end sortie made for a level playing field. I don't know why "improvements" were thought to be needed, but they weren't.

Offline buddyshamrock

• Zinc Member
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2017, 09:47:04 PM »
Love it ...
Utah