Author Topic: Please rate "Target Rabaul" scenario  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Please rate "Target Rabaul" scenario
« on: November 20, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
Please rate Target Rabaul.

If you played in it, please rate this scenario by giving it a number in the range of -5 (absolutely hated it), to 0 (could take it or leave it), to +5 (absolutely loved it).

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
Re: Please rate "Target Rabaul" scenario
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
+4   

-1 for extra hard targets.. ;)

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
I would definitely rate this a 5, just from the perspective of the changing tactics on both sides between frames to try and thwart the other side.  So often you end up with people trying to do the same thing repeatedly hoping that it will eventually work and ending up in disaster.  The allies really tried to mix things up, especially in Frame 3 that made it a lot more fun and difficult to keep up with.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline DmdJJ

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »
+2 only because of the Japanese plane set. It was just too early in the war to have that many 61's and 84's involved. It was a lose lose every week for the Allies. We were at a disadvantage every frame in numbers and performance. Had there been a limited number of 61's and 84's maybe 5 of each, with the zero being the prime fighter, then the sides may have bee more balanced, and more historically accurate. Disabling the DAR bar would have made the Japanese use more aircraft in the scouting roll. The way it was set up with a 5 minute delay, still was a major advantage. They knew as soon as the big DAR bar showed up where we were coming from. Please realize this is not a flame post. I'm just adding some input that may be of use in later scenarios. Thank you to all that put this together, and that flew this event.  :salute
DmdJJ   
"The Damned"
"Damned if we do, no fun if we don't"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Target Rebaul-----> VMF-214   Fjord Fury RAF----> 315 Squadron

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
Definitely +5!  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
DmdJJ the N1K2J also didn't show up until the last year of the war also.  This is what unfortunately now has to be done to get 60 to 70 people to play.

I did have fun I'll give it a 2.  Reason..........we were flying strafers for no reason to do so.  What we could strafe with our guns gave us so little it wasn't feasible to strafe targets.

We were a push as far as scores go.  If we could actually strafe objects and get a reasonable amount of points it would have been more fun.  We had to glide bomb moving targets.  Also difficult to do on moving vessels with a B25 with no bomb site.  Jabo instead of bomber.

Again I did have fun but before I sign up for another scenario I'll check more thoroughly on plane sets and scoring. 

Again, because so few actually participate in Scenarios this is the result.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:17:03 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »
+2

I must confess this one was a disappointment.  I had high hopes for a Rabaul Scenario.  It was hard to get into the mood when I was seeing mostly 84s and N1Ks with just a small number of Zekes and Tonies.  Those were Rabaul birds.  I understand the reasoning for them, but it kills any resemblance to the fights that really took place over Rabaul.

Should it get redone, name it something else with an appropriate historical setting and time frame for that plane set and lose the 38Gs and make it Js and Ls.  It was my mistake to push for the Gs.  If we are going to fight a 44-45 war, find a spot where that plane set fits so the history makes a bit more sense.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:08:51 AM »
+5

Joined in as a walkon and had a blast in a Ki61. Axis ground ack seemed too strong for B25 to me. I would have been happy with a browning on a Jeep or some other machine gun GV on base and LVT guns near ships.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 07:45:18 AM »
+3

Just a reminder that there were 6 nikis and that we were destroyed every frame except frame 2...even then there were only like 3 of us left

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »
Should it get redone, name it something else with an appropriate historical setting and time frame for that plane set and lose the 38Gs and make it Js and Ls.  It was my mistake to push for the Gs.  If we are going to fight a 44-45 war, find a spot where that plane set fits so the history makes a bit more sense.

It was my mistake as well. When Brooke asked me what was more common, the 38G or the 38J, I informed him it was the G. Had I known they would have given the Axis later war aircraft, I would have raised some objections but the design matter was already closed.

I agree with Guppy and Hajo on this. If you want to run a "what if" event, promote it that way. Don't attempt to recreate history while rewriting it, it makes the amateur historians in here cringe even if it does draw more people to the event.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
Overall as a week-to-week experience: +4. Room for improvement but good!.

However, looking at it as a scenario, I too have major qualms with voting for Rabaul then having 1944 late-war planes. +2 final vote.

Too much of a what-if. I'd rather have had A6M5bs, Ki-61s, less B-24s, F4u-1s, P-38Gs, and F6Fs in different ratios so that while the Japanese planes weren't quite as capable they would have a slight numbers advantage and be more of a threat. To be honest, that's what I imagined when we originally voted in the "vote for the next scenario!" thread.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
+4

My squad had lots of fun during the event. A good mix of action and searching for the best spots to patrol. For me it was not as good as the Battle of Britain but certainly more fun than FSO. I really enjoyed the the 2 lives. Also the time of day was excellent for a European player like me.

Once more. Thanks everyone for the event and looking forward to the next one <S>.

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »
+4.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

The only thing missing was the marching bands and confetti after landing successfully.   :D

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
+5

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
I am going to rate this one a +4

for the same reason those allied guys are rating it poorly.

I want to say that I do not look forward to PTO scenarios or FSOs. I actually hate them....usually.

This scenario was a real blast. I had a lot of fun and flew with some great guys.

The Ki-84 is a very capable plane and I enjoyed flying it and I did not turn into a torch, not even once!  I did die a couple times to 38s, loosing sight of 15:27:35 Was shot down by Soulyss (exploded).can prove to be a frame ending mistake.   :o

I am sure the allied guys would like nothing but zeros to face in a big barrel and sling those .50s at them setting them on fire.     :D

I am sorry that you allied guys did not enjoy it, I do understand the concerns about "what if" aspects of it.

I always say that the score does not matter to me, and even though the axis won, I still feel that way. The score is irrelevant to me. Nobody is going to remember the score. I hope you are going to remember the fights and the fun and maybe even the narrow escapes by overwhelming numbers.

:salute

Hope to see you all in the next one

Ditto
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54