Author Topic: Differences between AH2 and AH3  (Read 4497 times)

Offline NavyRigger

• Zinc Member
Differences between AH2 and AH3
« on: November 24, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
Greetings all,

I have been out of game for a few years now, but I recently learned there was a new version of AH available now and I am curious as to hat improvement have been implemented.  I see that skin deep, the graphics for many aspects of the game have been improved, but beyond that I was curious as to what else has changed. 

Respectfully,

NavyRigger

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Differences between AH2 and AH3
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
The graphics are different but not a big advance forward.  They do require a very strong video card.

We have some new innovative maps like Bustr's map that are quite impressive.  Many of the old maps have been redone with some interesting features.  Most notable, the towns have changed quite a bit.

The game interface on the clipboard is much improved.

VR still has a few rough spots but it is well implemented.

GV play has taken a  turn for the worse I am afraid.  Not a graphics issue but more of a map design issue.

Give it a go.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »
Flight models are the same, alot more trees makes a difference in how capture is/used to be, long range tank shooting have made long range shooters rare. Some planes have been graphically updated since version 2.

A big difference is HUD ( I have it turned off), and the eye-candy you already have seen.
You can adapt your experience to your hardware limits. Much of the CPU load has been moved to the graphic card.
You can use VR headset's now with DirectX version 11.

Some users complain about micro screen freezes in DirectX version 11, but not in DX9.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
The biggest change is in the graphics. Not only does AH3 look better than AH2, it also moved the load from the CPU to the GPU. That has been somewhat of a shock to those who could run AH2 on a home office laptop. The current version needs a gaming level computer - just as almost any other game in the market! However, you don't need a top notch gaming monster, AH3 still is reasonably moderate in its requirements.

What else? Whiners still whine, Main Arena (now called Melee) is still the most popular one despite the totally free ones, scenarios still get their rosters filled... Some minor changes here and there but if you're mostly into aerial fighting there's not much that has changed except a new default FOV which makes the planes bigger in your crosshair.

Try the free arenas to see if your system can handle the game and if it does, reactivate your account.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline germ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 12:40:56 PM »
GV play has taken a  turn for the worse I am afraid. 

As someone who was a real "tanker".. I gotta say I think the opposite is true. I found GV play vastly improved in AH3 over AH2.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
As someone who was a real "tanker".. I gotta say I think the opposite is true. I found GV play vastly improved in AH3 over AH2.

Not sure what you mean by "real tanker", if as in real life M1A1 Abrams, Iraq or Afghanistan, then I defer to your superior knowledge. I would also thank you for your service. If however, you are referring to cartoon tanking, I think Randy1 is right, AH3 is not as good as it was in AH2. That being said, I am sure that Hitech and the map makers are working on trying to turn that around and reach a good balance for everyone.  Hopefully that includes the elimination of the quadrant for GV's. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »
FOV default view is different in AH3 compared to 2.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
If you find the field of view bothersome.. change it at the main screen settings tab.  106 is a popular number to change it to.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 03:14:39 AM »
Terrain graphics are vastly improved in AH3. To really enjoy them you'll need to run the game in DX11 mode and enable the bells and whistles in the graphic options.  Much of the computation load has been moved from the CPU to the GPU (graphic card) so now your card really matters a lot more.

The most visible improvements include terrain lines (a lot less straight lines and large polygons in the terrain), clouds, trees, shadows, and reflections from many surfaces. Also nice things like haze and the night sky (real arrangement and colors of the stars).
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
FOV default view is different in AH3 compared to 2.

I find this to be very problematic. New players that don't know how to adjust their FOV and position on the seat are at a huge disadvantage. I did not think the new "start view" was a good adjustment at all. Plus it literally cuts off half the cockpit.... I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:33:28 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
Violator, what is your FOV set to?

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »

I find this to be very problematic. New players that don't know how to adjust their FOV and position on the seat are at a huge disadvantage. I did not think the new "start view" was a good adjustment at all. Plus it literally cuts off half the cockpit.... I just don't get it.

Spot on.  I don't get it either.  As Lazer says, try something like 106.  I have tried a number of options, I found the default setting very hard to be competitive at. 103 is good for gunnery, 106 good for spatial awareness in the dogfight.  I am currently on 105.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »

I find this to be very problematic. New players that don't know how to adjust their FOV and position on the seat are at a huge disadvantage.

If the new players have played any other flight sims, that's no issue. Actually the FOV in other games is even tighter, HT widened the default a tad for us old farts. And to be honest, I really like the new one. It allows me to shoot without toggling zoom at every turn. So the huge disadvantage may only be in your thinking. We tend to stick to what we've got used to.

As for not knowing how to adjust something, that holds true to most any game with advanced physics. A PC player should already be prepared for some studying of the settings, the console players on the other hand...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:58:06 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
If the new players have played any other flight sims, that's no issue. Actually the FOV in other games is even tighter, HT widened the default a tad for us old farts. And to be honest, I really like the new one. It allows me to shoot without toggling zoom at every turn. So the huge disadvantage may only be in your thinking. We tend to stick to what we've got used to.

As for not knowing how to adjust something, that holds true to most any game with advanced physics. A PC player should already be prepared for some studying of the settings, the console players on the other hand...
You are just wrong on both your points....first, we aren't getting any players coming from console to Aces High 3....they are coming from War Thunder and other steam games and they are PC gamers....and their biggest issues judging by the steam comments is UI...which includes the ability to change FOV...why it isn't in the same tab as Graphic Detail is beyond me....its just annoying watching you old guys hate on console gamers and younger generations...because guess what they are the only people who have a chance of bringing the numbers up.

Next they are right it sets you up at a disadvantage, you can think it's a matter of preference but I can show you my screen at a smaller FOV and my normal field of view and the only noticeable difference is I can see more with AH2s FOV settings. He changed it because its closer to other games...but those other games also have rear view mirrors and other different settings where you can't use them as a comparison(such as no icons ect ect)
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
Changing FOV in this game requires exiting the game then coming back in after you make the change in the menu. If it was in the Graphic settings UI, then a new complaint would happen that it is misleading to put it there when nothing else in the Graphic setting UI requires a game reboot.

To a point some things in how the GUI is setup in AH is counter intuitive. I've begun to wonder why so many children seem to have no curiosity about how things work and not be interested in adapting and overcoming adversity. I know it's their $14.95, but the complaints about AH3 verge on wanting to be spoon fed if Hitech wants them to play his game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.