Author Topic: 6 hours  (Read 11017 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 6 hours
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »
I always felt that 12 hours was the same as 24 hours because, it's rare to play for 12 hours straight. 6 hours would be the same as 24 hours for me if I ever came back. Log in at 6pm after work, decide to switch sides at 7pm and I can switch again at 1:00 am? Nope, I went to bed 2 hours before 1:00 am and won't log in again until 6pm the following day. At some point the number of hours between side switching is the same difference as "1 switch per day" for vast majority of players.
+1000000000 Good to see you still lurking around, would be fun to fight you again someday :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
I always felt that 12 hours was the same as 24 hours because, it's rare to play for 12 hours straight. 6 hours would be the same as 24 hours for me if I ever came back.

I agree.  Unless the time switch is 3 hours or less, it would make no difference to me if it was 6 hours or 24 hours.

Think long how this could be abused, I have said why at least 5 times over the past years.

And now I'm done with this topic. Unless something entirely new is thought of which I highly doubt will happen.

I hope you reconsider, I would be willing to be unable to use ord, troops, or GV supplies for 1-3 hours after changing countries. It would allow those looking for a fight to find one without terribly upsetting the balance.

I know I don't manage Aces High, nor have I ever owned a gaming company. However, it doesn't take an experienced coder to see the erosion of the population in here, is it not time to be more aggressive?

edit: Take a look in the scenario forum, I haven't seen this many maudlin individuals since the last funeral I attended.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,390546.0.html
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »
I know I don't manage Aces High, nor have I ever owned a gaming company. However, it doesn't take an experienced coder to see the erosion of the population in here, is it not time to be more aggressive?

By your logic I should change back to 24 hours when because that is when we were growing the fastest.

HiTech

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
Hitech, are you guys growing? Yipee!

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »
By your logic I should change back to 24 hours when because that is when we were growing the fastest.

HiTech

Grizz kind of nailed it.  More than about 3 hours is effectively 24 for a lot of people.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
It is a fact that folks on a country without a fight log off.  A lot of us will switch to find action... some wont.  Usually these two groups of people have a different definition of "action".

If you cant find fun, being because of a three country system, or long switch time.. you log out.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
I'm hoping 8thJinx will complete his terrain and it gets accepted by Hitech so I'm not alone here trying to figure out this small population generation of the game. I "think" up to a point I addressed the low population times "getting at each other" by ditching the older paradigm of trying to make realistic looking land blocks from a 50,000ft perspective and stuffing 3 countries into that willy-nilly. Oceania is better at that than BowlMA, and so I continue to learn with each offering. A formula is reveling itself but, it takes time building the next terrain with the next generation results gleaned from the current new terrain. BowlMA is a departure from all the AH2 formulas, most things worked on it and many didn't work how I assumed they would. The not working how I assumed they would provided a wealth of practical info on the current player paradigm, about half of it was surprisingly old school AH in how the community played with the environment.   

If Hitech didn't want three sides, he could have solved all of this with two sides and all the evils that will go with it. With three sides, the closer you get to switching sides at will, you reach the same evils that two sides creates. Convincing Hitech to reduce side switching to benefit finding fights at will is no different than convincing him to change the game to two sides.

The argument of your play time window is only 2 hours so a 3 or 6 hour change does you no good for that evening is "an indirect" to really wanting a switch time so short that it may as well be change at will. Ultimately change at will is the only thing that will satisfy Lazerr and other mostly ACM and furball type players. But then, the argument would end with Hitech's one word answer: No.     
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Bushmills

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 02:38:32 PM »
Hitech, are you guys growing? Yipee!

Nope, but they are dampening and oscillating  :old:

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »

I said to be more aggressive with sweeping changes and not continue the status quo. As much as us old farts want the return of the old days, they are long gone. You need to start appealing to the younger generation that does not want to wait for anything. Us old timers can indoctrinate them after they are customers, but we need to attract them into the doors first.

It is your company, so take my advice as you will. I was really hoping to return to AH early next year to a vibrant community. I am anticipating I will not get ny Christmas wish and it saddens me.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
For me, it's usually not an issue because Rooks are the low number team.  What sucks is when you look across the map and see 5 sectors of full dar, and not a single flashing base or darbar on your side of the map.  Fly over bases for an hour trying to drum up a fight, but no one comes up.   So you switch sides to the low number of the two fighting sides, only to watch those fights dry up and the horde move onto the easy front where no one is fighting for a quick base take.  I'm now stuck for hours more flying over bases where people refuse to up, or I log off...

Actually, I just log off.

Now there's one less player in the arena, making it look even less attractive -- times this by however many other people just say screw it and go do something else because they can't find a fight, and you end up with the numbers we see...  80 players, 40 of which are on one side rolling bases complaining about ENY and not being able to fly D-Ponies AND horde everyone, and 20 players on the remaining two sides trying to find a fight which dissipates before it ever gets started because the main driving force isn't trying to have any sort of fight, it wants quick base takes and a quick maproll for quick perkies to buy planes they can't fly because of ENY restrictions...

How about this -- We make a Co-op arena where the hordelings can all be on one side and fight severely limited skill and number AI pilots and they can roll bases unopposed as if they were playing offline, but they can do it with their friends so they feel special.  It seems to be the direction the game has been headed.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
but we need to attract them into the doors first.

Take a guess how many people have been attracted in the doors in the Last 100 days?

HiTech

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
Take a guess how many people have been attracted in the doors in the Last 100 days?

HiTech

1,000?  Smiley face for "more", no response for "fewer.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »

HiTech
2 weekers a few thousand with steam and a few hundred subscriptions
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

HiTech

Optimistically I'm going to go with around 5,000 2 weekers, around 200 subs.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
I'm hoping 8thJinx will complete his terrain and it gets accepted by Hitech so I'm not alone here trying to figure out this small population generation of the game.   

I prolly won't have it done for a while.  Very busy with work.  I'll try to bang it out by Christmas, but no promises.