Author Topic: 6 hours  (Read 10966 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: 6 hours
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 04:11:14 PM »
three hours sounds good to me, I dont have the time to sabotage and spies over 3 hours.

For a more factual basis of deciding time please consider,

How long does the average player play?
How long can game mechanics be affected by side flippers?

HTC has has a good idea about these two questions. APT is a coveted stat.  Game mechanics is limited to around two hours, scrap cv positions.  CV positions can take hours to move across the map, that intel would be most valuable to a side flipper.  Trolling a fight or mission should be punishable by death, I think this is where the multihour limit has its value, and for the trolls 12 hours is a good time.  :devil  :bolt:

:salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
Hitech,

So far are you seeing any problems with airfields 13 miles apart?

Quick side switching can be somewhat emulated by shortening the distance between airfields. The downsides are obvious if the attackers have superior numbers so the defenders can never put up a good fight. It's intoxicating in this game because one of the ultimate goals of the masses on all three sides is capping a field while harvesting easy kills. To a new generation of players used to quick action, it would be quick action regardless of the quality. That quality is complained about as much as ENY, hoards, and not being able to switch at will.

Closer airfields are working so far and from a short attention span centrist perspective visa direct observation with BowlMA and Oceania. So I've expanded the 13 mile separation again in a targeted but, limited conservative application to all three countries with my new project. It's easy for the community to demand change and any kind of change that they can throw out ASAP, damnd the consiquences. The only way to test change with a community is over time in baby steps. Shortening distances between airfields without killing game play is not easy because even a 10x10 terrain takes time. Still the months it takes to produce one is just about the proof of concept time it takes to observe the community and the change for results with a previous project. 

Inside the yellow circle are 6 fields, two are 13 miles apart, the rest are 19 miles from the next feild in the circle. I believe no GV spawns or only spawns into one of the 19 mile feilds for each country will repeat the success with close airfields and no GV spawns that has worked on my past two terrains. Putting the map room next to the tower will help keep them from being captured too fast other than late at night. Once again this terrain will last maybe 3 days but, lasting longer would mean a lack of activity or an interest in general. I suspect short attention spans need shorter term goals to stay interested. Then the same can be said for getting older and demanding things get to the meat of the issue ASAP versus all the meaningless rules and regulations that put you to sleep.

If anyone is confused, color coding is elevation topo bands from 5k down to the water. Those long elevated tan blocks of land are the building blocks of the wall mountain range to a rift valley. I'm carving the terrain while limiting myself to a topographical blueprint. Map design is as much to blame right now as low numbers. I find it easier to build a solution than waste my time attacking Hitech, he has gotten good at saying No.......

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »
Take a guess how many people have been attracted in the doors in the Last 100 days?

I'm guessing it is very similar to a job opening where less than 10% stay past 3-6 months. The lower number that stay will eventually acculturate themselves to the community and eventually give back to the community, or at least be added presence to the game itself.

It is the larger percentage that do not stay that I am focused upon. The desire for instant action is growing, as evidenced by the countless games that offer a 24 hour sandbox in a limited environment. I feel lowering the side switch would help alleviate some of the frustrations. It would upset some of the more paranoid members of this community, and their reaction would likely be have to factored into the equation.

I've been a part of Aces High (online flight sims as well) for more than 20 years. While I am seeing the massive influx of WWII genre games over the past few years, none of them has the scope that Aces High delivers. Please, Hitech, don't take our criticisms personally. You have invested more into this game than anyone else on the planet. However, we have invested time into the game as well, and I feel our passion filled pleas are proof positive we genuinely care about the future of Aces High.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »
Well, anecdotally speaking, I've seen people walk in the doors here and walk right back out after two weeks to WT where they still are. 

I don't get it. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
Take a guess how many people have been attracted in the doors in the Last 100 days?

HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:52:08 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
I'm guessing it is very similar to a job opening where less than 10% stay past 3-6 months. The lower number that stay will eventually acculturate themselves to the community and eventually give back to the community, or at least be added presence to the game itself.

It is the larger percentage that do not stay that I am focused upon. The desire for instant action is growing, as evidenced by the countless games that offer a 24 hour sandbox in a limited environment. I feel lowering the side switch would help alleviate some of the frustrations. It would upset some of the more paranoid members of this community, and their reaction would likely be have to factored into the equation.

I've been a part of Aces High (online flight sims as well) for more than 20 years. While I am seeing the massive influx of WWII genre games over the past few years, none of them has the scope that Aces High delivers. Please, Hitech, don't take our criticisms personally. You have invested more into this game than anyone else on the planet. However, we have invested time into the game as well, and I feel our passion filled pleas are proof positive we genuinely care about the future of Aces High.

Don't mean to jump on ya but on this rare occasion I want to point out how mistaken almost all people on this board are about the dynamics of AH.

In the last 100 days aprox 40,000 people have installed Aces High, 20,000 new people have created accounts and entered an arena. Of the people entering the arena 65% are gone and do never reenter by the 10 minute mark of being in the arena. 75% are gone after 30 Minutes.

So when some one makes a claim that changing to 3 hours will have a measurable impact on attracting new subscribers it makes me  :rolleyes:

Don't begin to think I don't that I ignore the issues.
The release a few weeks ago was a huge change to how the mouse system works, in an attempt to improve the 75% leaving before 30 minutes of play.

So were the new training video systems. Also not only about 15% of people who try AH have Joy Sticks. Right now Aces Highs biggest issues is conversion rates of players trying the game to players subscribing. For some reason I am not setting the hook quickly enough that a player is having fun when first trying the game.

We used to run between a 10 to 12% conversion rate from entering an arena to subscriber. My goal currently is to substantially raise my current conversion rate which is around 1%. And I do not think the driving forces of that conversions are things like how long between country changes.

My next attempt is to try get free Match play populated. I am doing so by creating tournament structures. With prizes in the future.

HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »
What about on-screen prompts that overlay the clipboard and cockpit. 

Click here to select a vehicle ----->

*Click*
__

Scroll here to choose a Vehicle Type ----->

*Click*
__

Press a square to launch -----> E W

*Click*
__

For full throttle press (9) or use your slider. 

[ ] Do not show these messages again
--

I've seen other games, apps, websites, etc. do that.   Maybe folks are just lost. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:34:41 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
We used to run between a 10 to 12% conversion rate from entering an arena to subscriber. My goal currently is to substantially raise my current conversion rate which is around 1%. And I do not think the driving forces of that conversions are things like how long between country changes.

My next attempt is to try get free Match play populated. I am doing so by creating tournament structures. With prizes in the future.

Any attempt to grant the newer players instant action I feel will raise the conversion rate. You aren't dealing with the population that grew up (or aged with) Airwarrior or Warbirds, you're dealing with the younger generation that does not like to wait, or read a manual before diving in.

Have you considered adding a mission to play when the game first runs? It could be like a training flight that allows the new user to get used to the controls with voice narration. Something that puts them right into the cockpit immediately, with autopilot control. After reviewing the basic set up and controls, the new pilot would be encouraged to take control of the plane against AI enemies. Of course, the ability to go straight to the Main Arena would be available for the new pilot as well but I think starting in a fighter would help draw them in, rather than starting at the clipboard and tower.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »
Easier Drones in an arena that's free might hook people, too.   The current drones are too tough for new players if they were used.

"The Japanese are attacking the field.  Get in your P-40 and defend!"
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
In the last 100 days aprox 40,000 people have installed Aces High, 20,000 new people have created accounts and entered an arena. Of the people entering the arena 65% are gone and do never reenter by the 10 minute mark of being in the arena. 75% are gone after 30 Minutes.

Wow.   Just, wow.    :eek:

This first idea that pops into my head is for squad leaders to make sure that squad members are welcoming new players and helping them out.  I know a lot of squads are doing that already, thanks to those who are.

I have another idea percolating, which I will post in the Wishlist forum.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »
20,000 installs, 1% conversion rate, so around 200 new subs.  I get partial credit! ;)

Interesting numbers.

Also interesting that 20,000 people can rotate through fast enough players don't even register seeing them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 11:48:01 AM »
I will do whatever is humanly possible to get new folks to stay.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
I would think some form of free play involving the MA would be the best way to attempt growing the player base.  Hang something in front of them while they get there feet wet.

Right now at two weeks.. they dont even know what they are missing before the trial ends.  Some folks are lucky to log into any game once a week.

Im going to mess with default mouse settings this weekend to see if i can suggest any ways of making it easier.

It sounds like most of the new guys downloading the game dont even have gear.  I think making life as easy as possible for them should be a priority.

The last mouse control change was a huge step in the right direction.

Time switch and ENY might not be as big of an issue when numbers swell a little.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
Seems the problem is setting up the game (UI) and then getting into action?

HiTech...why are the defaults that a controller(joystick) have so far off from what would actually make sense for playing. Example when I first setup my new computer with my CH combat stick the hat switch was all off...Im sure most use there's the same as me with the hat being their views but the default has the views all sorts of backwards.

Is there anyway to get some players controller layouts for different sticks/controllers and make better defaults so players can get into action faster?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"