Author Topic: common sense... a clear field of fire for defensive weapons.  (Read 1849 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
common sense... a clear field of fire for defensive weapons.
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
   Playing with the 37mm on the airbases.   found out they are  impotent against low flying deakakkers when the opforce figured out to line up with the trees around the gun emplacement. the planes can easily shoot You and You don't have a chance because the trees block  Your shot.   Why the love affair with trees anyway. also no base would have a tree where there is a chance of a plane hitting it while taxiing, taking off or landing  or blocking defensive weapons...   I have brought This up before and someone posted picks of an airfield in a forest. probably a Luftlaffe one or . That field was not an airbase and most likely stuck in the timber to hide It from Allied air attacks. Or a NATO Harrier Field and That would  most likely have air to air missiles for defense not guns.  Nothing like the "airbases" modeled here.    sidenote another reason trees weren't around WW2 bases was because the cut them up for firewood.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: common sense... a clear field of fire for defensive weapons.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:14:08 PM »
   Playing with the 37mm on the airbases.   found out they are  impotent against low flying deakakkers when the opforce figured out to line up with the trees around the gun emplacement. the planes can easily shoot You and You don't have a chance because the trees block  Your shot.   Why the love affair with trees anyway. also no base would have a tree where there is a chance of a plane hitting it while taxiing, taking off or landing  or blocking defensive weapons...   I have brought This up before and someone posted picks of an airfield in a forest. probably a Luftlaffe one or . That field was not an airbase and most likely stuck in the timber to hide It from Allied air attacks. Or a NATO Harrier Field and That would  most likely have air to air missiles for defense not guns.  Nothing like the "airbases" modeled here.    sidenote another reason trees weren't around WW2 bases was because the cut them up for firewood.

I can agree with this.  There are too many trees in this game.
Add to that, if you have shadows enables there goes your frame-rate...  Each tree needs one...

Coogan
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:18:56 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »
This reminds me of Solieri saying to Mozart...."It's got too many notes..." :bolt:
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »
This reminds me of Solieri saying to Mozart...."It's got too many notes..." :bolt:

You think all these trees are artwork.   :rofl

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »
The trees have little effect, at least when I use them. Seriously! Even with 88s AA rounds. Aim at nearest tree top and fire. YES the explosion goes off on impact BUT lean around and watch the round continue flying to set range and STILL GOES POOF. Same with wirb,37mm and tank rounds. The bigger tree trunks however will stop rounds but brush and leaves not so much. BEFORE you call BS...try it for yourself :uhoh Its just my observations. It looks like it explodes, but round carries on.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
The number of trees isn't affecting my ability to fight airplanes in another airplane. 

Oh wait Rodbuster, you want to sit on the ground and shoot at airplnes..................... ........................ppppf ffffffffffffffftttttttttt
Wag more, bark less.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 05:13:17 PM »
The number of trees isn't affecting my ability to fight airplanes in another airplane. 

Oh wait Rodbuster, you want to sit on the ground and shoot at airplnes..................... ........................ppppf ffffffffffffffftttttttttt

:rofl :rofl :rofl
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »
My beef is having tree leaves stop an 88mm shell flying at a tank that is shelling the base.  Give me a break.  If you can't model the trees being destroyed by the 88mm round so that the next one blasts him sky high, at least have the decency to make shells pass right through trees and brush. 

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:54 AM »
Hey rodbuster, you forgot to type that in CAPS LOCK..... :rofl :rofl
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »

I bet it was some fur-baller years ago who complained how unfair it was for a defensive 37mm AA to have an unfair advantage with a clear field of fire.......

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
Dundee is just stupid...just flat out stupid.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »
  Zoney. Trolling on Me for engaging in ground to air play is both laughable and sad...     From the looks of Your stats. I'm playing air to air more than You anyway. 

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »
    I didn't forget to use caps.   Kind trollish too.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »

"Salieri". You're confusing him with that guy from "The Sopranos".
Retired

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:45:37 AM »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:49:06 AM by BBQsam »
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP