Author Topic: twin engine management question  (Read 4279 times)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
twin engine management question
« on: December 14, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
Gentleman I got to come clean. I do not know how to properly use my dual throttle when flying a p38, mossie or bf110. I think I can improve here a lot. I tried doing some research myself and tried a lot of things already but it just doesn't feel 100%. Any help will be apriciated.

Thanks in advance. <S>

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
Re: twin engine management question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
First, you'll need to map the controls.  I don't believe default has anything mapped but main throttle, so make sure you have engine 1 / engine 2 mapped.

Unfortunately I can't find a way to do left wing/right wing for bombers... but that's a different thread.

Anyways, once they're mapped it's as simple as turning 'em up or down.   Honestly, you don't get a whole lot of extra out of the plane using that.  In a P38 the only time I really use it is if I have myself screwed up in a maneuver and am stalling over onto the wrong wing, I'll dump throttle to torque it around the way I need it.  In almost every other instance, you're going to bleed more E than any advantage you may get out of dumping throttle.

My observations anyways...   :salute
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:39:45 AM »
An excerpt of my first P38 class;

Before we begin, I'd like to talk about dual throttle control. You do NOT need dual throttles to be able to fly the P38 effectively and the few cases it is helpful aren't worth the headaches in my opinion. I have dual throttle control but I do not use it most of the time. Here are the few cases dual throttle control is helpful;

1. Throttling down one engine to compensate for a missing wing, you can fly straight and level with this.

2. Great hammerheads, you can really squeeze every last bit of energy out of the plane and can reverse very quickly.

3. Immersion (AKAK quote).

4. Spin recovery.

5. Making great 'donuts' on the runway.

6. Out of plane, last ditch efforts (cut one engine and roll it hard).

Once I did the out of plane "fall from the sky" and the enemy bandit that bounced me ran into my falling leaf P38 and died. It truly is a last ditch effort though.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
I use dual throttles when in the P-38, and one thing that surprised me was that simple differential input on the throttles did not result much in yaw but instead a roll.   You have to counteract the rolling moment with aileron input.    I still haven't mastered a hammerhead...   

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »

Playing with dual throttles.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
I use dual throttles when in the P-38, and one thing that surprised me was that simple differential input on the throttles did not result much in yaw but instead a roll.   You have to counteract the rolling moment with aileron input.    I still haven't mastered a hammerhead...   

I'd expect that to be due to the torque no longer being balanced by both engines running at the same speed.

It was always my understanding the idea behind dual throttles was so you could do a tighter hammerhead.  Based on what I've seen, even without dual throttles the 38 already comes over the top more controllably and tightly than pretty much anything else in the game.  Other than that and if you're missing a wingtip, am I missing something else they provide that is worthwhile in a fight?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »

Pull off one throttle to start the hammerhead, pull off the second throttle to finish the hammerhead. Add both throttles together to resume powered flight.

Use minimal rudder as needed. If you want to use a lot of rudder use minimal asymmetric thrust.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:47:52 PM by FLS »

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 03:13:59 AM »
I thought i could get a little more out of my turn as well. I love roping planes so i will spend some more time on perfecting my hammer head is the 38.
Do you guys think there is any benefit using the dual throttle while preforming a rolling cissors?

"6. Out of plane, last ditch efforts (cut one engine and roll it hard)."
I never really thought about using it for a snap roll gonna incorporate that in my flying :)

Also i will show of some donuts on the runway at a capped field :D

Thank you all for the replies. <S>
DutchVII / ULDutch
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
In the mossie (likely in the 110 as well) things are more complicated than in the 38. The plane is asymmetric to begin with and thus left/right maneuvers are not the same. Recovery is also more sensitive because increase of engine power means you have to fight roll and yaw induced by torque with ineffective rudder at very low speeds, or use fine control of the throttles.

The mossie has very large inertia, so once this big body starts to rotate it is not easy to stop it. Unless you can quickly reverse the differential throttles (power up the other engine and cut put from the current one) the plane may keep on rotating past the vertical down attitude and into an uncontrollable spin.

I do not have a dual throttle, and so in order to pull off differential power moves in the mossie I have to juggle engine selection buttons. Without fine control over the throttles, this leads to spins as often as it results in a good move. Also, "good move" is often just as good as a move in practice as it would be without juggling the throttles and risking loss of control.

In asymmetrical planes, diff throttles can help pulling a hammerhead to the right. If you get too slow, the rudder cannot overcome the yaw from the engines and right side hammerhead is very slow or impossible without cutting power to the #2 engine.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »
To turn better with dual throttles when below corner speed keep both throttles at max power.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
The mossie has very large inertia, so once this big body starts to rotate it is not easy to stop it. Unless you can quickly reverse the differential throttles (power up the other engine and cut put from the current one) the plane may keep on rotating past the vertical down attitude and into an uncontrollable spin.

Very interesting, i sometimes use it for this as well but i never knew for sure this had any real effect on the way the plane handels or even worse harms me. Thank you for confirming. PS: i was kinda hoping you would reply bozon, cause of the amazing manual you have written about the mossie. :aok

To turn better with dual throttles when below corner speed keep both throttles at max power.

Will do that! Above corner speed do you think i should slow down with only 1 engine, both or does it not matter to get the best turn rate? Personally i think i both engines but i like this to be confirmed :uhoh
DutchVII / ULDutch

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
The only time I have ever used the dual throttles in a turn fight is a nose low split-s. You can afford to give up a little energy (generally), and it helps gently invert the P38. As for banking, you will want to keep your speed up or at least use the same power setting for both engines to prevent it from departing.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
The only time I have ever used the dual throttles in a turn fight is a nose low split-s. You can afford to give up a little energy (generally), and it helps gently invert the P38. As for banking, you will want to keep your speed up or at least use the same power setting for both engines to prevent it from departing.

Thank you for your insight  :salute

I also noticed you still teaches the p38, would you feel like some time to point out my mistakes and what i could improve upon? It would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:57:47 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »
I haven't flown in about a year or so, but I am planning on returning next year.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
Ah that's a shame. Well i for one am looking forward to your return :rock
DutchVII / ULDutch