Author Topic: Clouds, ....Trees of the sky.  (Read 4068 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
Clouds, ....Trees of the sky.
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
     As stated before with trees, If increased interaction  and better play is sought on the ground, minimizing trees is a good start.  I   observe  a lot more negative  comments about Them than positive.  lack of mobility. tree magnets, visability issues and slowed frame rate.      many of the same issues  voiced and stated about trees are the same with clouds.  especially frame rate issues.   I don't know if Hitech has  or could correlate stat  with dropped subscriptions to slow frame rate issues do to such problems.     I was working as a mechanic and auto body tech as a teen and my best friend and coworker learned how to paint flames.  He put flames on everything he could find.  his car the owners race cars, His motorcycle, helmet , gas cans, tool boxes, shop refrigerator and water heater, bikes of the neighborhood kids.  Even  a pet Chester White pig.   They looked good, even on the pig, but there were far to many of them around... Maybe the logic of the tree and clouds are similar to the flame story.... Have a blast.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Clouds, ....Trees of the sky.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:07 AM »
Latest version of clouds look great to me, with minimal frame rate hit.  The occasional cloud fight is fun.  I think they enhance the game. 
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
 :headscratch:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
Hiding in the clouds is fun now that they don't flicker and kill the frame rate any longer. I like trees for the same reason.

Then again, I come from a country whose warfare tactics always have been based on hiding from the much bigger enemy and do sneak attacks. At least that's what they taught us in the army. We aren't prepared to fight in deserts or prairies where you can see and be seen for miles and miles. Truth to be said, the AH woods have always looked very sparse to me. Also, the weather is as bright and calm as the summers of my childhood memories.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
I never thought to ask this until now, but does everyone see the same cloud in the same position during their sorties?  Is there a variance in position or configuration that two separate pilots would see?  Reason I ask is fleets can be out of position relative from one player to another, by 50 to 100 feet sometimes.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:50 PM »
I want to know how to stop my plane in a cloud bank to hide.....

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
HISTORICALLY THERE WERE LESS CLOUDS IN THE SKY
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:46:18 PM by Pluto »

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
I love a good cloud fight but unfortunately there are ways to game it

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
If increased interaction  and better play is sought on the ground, minimizing trees is a good start.

The trees are great the way they are, 100% better than AH2.

If you want to fix game play for GV's, do something about the open field spawn points.  Make them so they cannot be camped.  If I was Hitec, I would make  spawn points so that you never spawn in any  closer than three kilometers from the nearest enemy vehicle.  That way the vehicle spawning would always have plenty of room to maneuver and the defenders would actually have to setup battle positions and not just a surround the spawn.

Cav

Oh... and remove the GV Dar    It is a combat simulation --- Combat is hard work. All this easy mode stuff is killing AcesHigh
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
HISTORICALLY THERE WERE LESS CLOUDS IN THE SKY

Except on cloudy days.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
 :rofl

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »
If you want to fix game play for GV's, do something about the open field spawn points.  Make them so they cannot be camped.  If I was Hitec, I would make  spawn points so that you never spawn in any closer than three kilometers from the nearest enemy vehicle. 

That's not doable.  You can adjust the randomized spawn-in circle radius, but not move the center point based on a player's location.

That way the vehicle spawning would always have plenty of room to maneuver and the defenders would actually have to setup battle positions and not just a surround the spawn.

The battle positions idea is a good one.  In AH2, we had spawn areas where a single vehicle couldn't cover the entire spawn area due to the roll of the terrain or features on the terrain.  Compello was great in that aspect.  The spawn in circle seemed to straddle either the crest of a hill, or a wooded area with berms.  It was tough for one single vehicle to control the spawn area.  Grinder was another one.  Montis, with the field 34 spawn area, and the 28 spawn on the hill with the barn.  Even with 135/136 on Ozkansas, one or even two vehicles couldn't hold a camp down for long.  Those were fun spawn areas.  The closest thing we have to that now is when the spawn is placed at the edge of or inside of the little villages, but it's just not the same as having a good tanking area.

Give it some time, a bunch of folks are working on these little details.  Maybe we'll see something different in 2018.   

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »
That's not doable.  You can adjust the randomized spawn-in circle radius, but not move the center point based on a player's location.

But can the code be written? That is what we pay Hitech to do... is it not.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »
In the terrain editor when you lay down a spawn, it shows as a white circle the diameter of the random spawn area. When you paint the spawn area, just paint the random spawn area to favor blocking the view of tanks waiting in ambush to give the spawned in tank a chance to get his bearings and fight back. Some of the tile sets have agrarian tiles with farmland and villages, I used those villages on BowlMA as the spawn area so the houses protected the just spawned in GVs. On Oceania the agrarian tile had some good spots and some bad spots so I ended up adding trees at some locations. On those two terrains it's now very hard to spawn camp and more fun for the guy who just spawned in.

Hitech doesn't need to reprogram anything, in AH2 the trees were less dense than in AH3 and the terrain builders chose to make spawns death traps. When the AH2 terrains were converted to AH3 the conversion assigned the new tile sets to replace the AH2 tile sets. That's how the original nightmare with thick trees came about. It's up to the terrain builder how he wants to configure each spawn location on a new terrain like I did. The spawn locations on most of the converted terrains could have used a bit more thought by whom ever did the touch up.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:24 PM »
  I have frame rate issues when a lot of clouds are around... And this game to me is about combat not hide and seek. One reason or place It would be nice to have cloud cover though is at Strats above 25,000 feet.That would make the Buffs attack from a lower altitude.   No WW2 bomber could hit anything but the ground with a bomb at that height anyway.   Even the B29s.  I think It was Haywood Hansell the Comander of 21 bomber command. And Comander of the B29 Joltin Josie. Tried bombing from 25 to 30,000 feet and couldn't hit anything.... In comes Curtiss Lemay and stopped that technique.   also the only way a B17 could get to 36,500 feet was if It weighed 40,000 pounds or less.