Author Topic: HQ - No Longer Needed  (Read 1949 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: HQ - No Longer Needed
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »
And how could the war end any better than an epic battle for a hardened target, deep in enemy territory?  :x

They'd still have to protect what bases they have, while sending a large enough of a force to take down the HQ.  Much better than the current system of steamrolling any old undefended base for the win.
It would give the HQ a reason for existence and give everyone reason to fight over it.

Without the object and function change for this alternate war win, I can create this scenario right now with the existing objects and functions. The real question about how this will be received when the rubber hits the road won't be possible until the terrain is in rotation. That whole thing about actually building terrains that get into rotation and as the builder you observe how the community really utilizes them versus all this forum spitballing. When Oceania was up on day1, the bish and knights ran through the rook territory and inside of two hours took 37% of their feilds. The majority of the rooks furballed and spawned a tank division into the center island and never put up a fight. Even that evening during prime time with the evening rooks they never really recovered the ground and the knights and bish ignored them.

Creating the conditions to place strategic locations in constant peril may only get you indifference in the MA and then the usual long term complaint posts here in the forums. It's more fun to greif something like this and then abuse it because it creates a 24x7 non-stop peril forcing a country into a constant posture of responding to initiatives against that location or whine on 200, whine in the forums. You saw it in AH2 with the Fester map and the HQ. Everyone knew after a point when that map was up, their HQ was going to be down no matter how many times they defended it or resupplied it. They burnt out on the whole issue and logged off, quit playing, or joined the long term complaint posts here in these very forums.

I think there is room at least to move the HQ and city closer to the country body of feilds to reduce the transit time for strat runners and bomber missions. And there is positive evidence from CraterMA and Buzzsaw that creating a capture path and carefully setup spawns to attract GVs to attack the HQ and city while having spawns for defense against those spawns is attractive to GVers and will create activity. Creating all of this and not simply handing over the HQ and city to greifers is what has to be worked out. The HQ and city on Fester were too easy to reach and too far away from where he funneled all of the player activity that the majority of customers look for in the MA. The community was faced with only two options, ignore defending the HQ and the long transit times to resupply the city while constantly playing the game blind. Or allow a handful of griefers to dictate how they would and where they would spend their evenings on the Fester map.

With an HQ object that responds to being taken down by reducing the percentage needed of feilds to win the war, I would make that HQ as hard to reach and take down as I did with my terrain BowlMA to balance the game play and greifer urges. The current HQ, I'm thinking about exposing it and the city to create more activity since Hitech has balanced it to control greifer urges. Games like ours even need to be attractive to greifer mentalities, you don't have to give away the game to them. Otherwise they have as much self control as an alcoholic and will eventually be just as destructive to the overall fun of your game community. We ended up with the HQ hardened for reasons like this and it's down time at 5 minutes but, the city still increases it's rebuild time if you make the effort to take it down. So with the next terrain I will make the HQ\city\strats more vulnerable.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »
I don't understand this type of thinking.... What's so bad about not wanting to waste my entertainment time watching an altimeter climb...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Thndregg, does that mean you're unhappy that we have such "simplified" controls for our aircraft?  How dare we not know the start-up sequence of the B17 because it's convenient to auto-takeoff? Automatic calibration of bombsites is an affront to your play-style? 

Should the match play arena be removed because it's too convenient to get into action? lol I MUST be out to lunch.....

Aces High 4
Where you place the bolts into the airframe in the factory before taking command of the transport ship to drive REAL-TIME across the atlantic to MAYBE make it to an airfield, where YOU the player, can help load ammunition into the airframe you built, don't forget fuel or 10 years from now when you actually get to fly, you'll be sorry and have to start ALL over. Convenient? No, but hey change is bad...  :devil

Ridiculous ironic rant over...

I just don't understand i guess.  :salute

No. What you state is delving way too far into my thought.

What AH2 had in its game was a nice balance, and I played it a lot. I play AH3 far less because I think there is too much convenience (fine for the instant action folks) gradually creeping into the picture for my taste, and the player-base's attitude in general is one demonstrating much less patience and forethought than the community I knew in roughly the first decade of this century.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »
No. What you state is delving way too far into my thought.

What AH2 had in its game was a nice balance, and I played it a lot. I play AH3 far less because I think there is too much convenience (fine for the instant action folks) gradually creeping into the picture for my taste, and the player-base's attitude in general is one demonstrating much less patience and forethought than the community I knew in roughly the first decade of this century.

Fair and level headed response... must be a bomber pilot... I was just cheesed and your post got me going is all... hyperbole is my goto crutch... :old:

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life