Author Topic: You know something is not quite right when the best defence is to up a bomber  (Read 5580 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
I would think that a set of B-17's sitting on the runway (firing their guns) would be an easy target.
I believe the convergence on those are D-500.  Many planes have no problems shooting well before that.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
I would think that a set of B-17's sitting on the runway (firing their guns) would be an easy target.
I believe the convergence on those are D-500.  Many planes have no problems shooting well before that.

Coogan

Even easier considering you can't fire in a bomber until liftoff.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
Even easier considering you can't fire in a bomber until liftoff.

Wiley.

Yes - because we all know that disabled guns on the tarmac or until in flight was key to many bomber kills in WWII.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Bombers ripping fighters out of the sky is just stupid.

Not really.  That's what the guns were there for.

But you're right.  Using bombers to fight off fighters is pretty silly.  It would be like putting a tank or artillery gun on a bomber. (B-25H)

Or putting a bunch of machines guns in the nose of the bomber so it could strafe ground targets. (B-25, A-20)

Or throwing wine bottles filled with gasoline at a tank. (molotov cocktails)

Or capturing a submarine and towing it back to base behind an aircraft carrier.  (USS Guadalcanal and U-505)

:aok :aok :aok
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Not really.  That's what the guns were there for.

But you're right.  Using bombers to fight off fighters is pretty silly.  It would be like putting a tank or artillery gun on a bomber. (B-25H)

Or putting a bunch of machines guns in the nose of the bomber so it could strafe ground targets. (B-25, A-20)

Or throwing wine bottles filled with gasoline at a tank. (molotov cocktails)

Or capturing a submarine and towing it back to base behind an aircraft carrier.  (USS Guadalcanal and U-505)

:aok :aok :aok
Well, you've only been here since 2010 so you are still a new player and don't remember the days of the mobile B17 ack batteries or the B17 car bombs, which are the reasons that guns are disabled on the ground and bombs take 1000 yards flight to arm.

Bombers and GV take a lot of concessions to make them playable. This is why level bombers are more accurate than dive bomber, you get 2 spare bomber in tow, tanks can fire from the commander position while driving and get magically rearmed and fixed.

I accept some silly things for the purpose of the "game", just don't try to justify them historically. That is ridiculous.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Was wondering when the elitist mentality was gonna come out to play.

Well done, well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
I know it was a well used tactic in WW2.  So well used that they used to coordinate groups of bombers to ward of the enemy attacks!!!   NO WAIT, that was fighters.

Bombers ripping fighters out of the sky is just stupid.

So you want HiTech to change that because you were out gunned by a gunner in a bomber?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
So you want HiTech to change that because you were out gunned by a gunner in a bomber?

Where did he say this happened to him specifically?

You're projecting.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help

I think what he is saying is that the first line of defense SHOULDN'T buffs as low alt circling ack platforms.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Shouldn't be used.....how many times have we heard this in the last 15 years?

Ok then what does he want Hitech to do to those players who decide to up a box of bombers to fight fighters at an airfield? The MOD insta tower them and adjust their player account for that session so it can only up fighters? Or Hitech remove every ride from the game but fighters to make Fess happy while killing his game out right?

The presumption that something is wrong in the first place is "not right" since that player had 120 plus things he could have spawned out in with Hitech's blessings. The Melee arena is to do what ever you want that makes you happy. The DA is where you get a stick up your whatsis and tell other players they are scum of the AH earth and have no place in this community. Then they tell you to stick it and go back to the MA and have fun.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Shouldn't be used.....how many times have we heard this in the last 15 years?

Ok then what does he want Hitech to do to those players who decide to up a box of bombers to fight fighters at an airfield? The MOD insta tower them and adjust their player account for that session so it can only up fighters? Or Hitech remove every ride from the game but fighters to make Fess happy while killing his game out right?

The presumption that something is wrong in the first place is "not right" since that player had 120 plus things he could have spawned out in with Hitech's blessings. The Melee arena is to do what ever you want that makes you happy. The DA is where you get a stick up your whatsis and tell other players they are scum of the AH earth and have no place in this community. Then they tell you to stick it and go back to the MA and have fun.

but if that game play drives players away is it really good for the game?

Id bet that if everyone was having fun less people would leave. Like the NOE issues we had long ago nobody is saying to get rid of the bomber option, but curb it a bit along with a few other lame game plays.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:48:52 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
I think what he is saying is that the first line of defense SHOULDN'T buffs as low alt circling ack platforms.

Then I have good news for you:

It isn't.

There is no need to change anything with the bombers.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
For 15 years curbing other peoples fun under the cover of "good for the game" has been a holy grail by those who know better than everyone else. Hitech seems to never agree with them aside from enforcement adjustments of his own. NOE was curbed to make people stop hiding from each other in hoards. They still hid from each other after the radar change, and now there are less of them hiding from each other and no more missions. Just not hiding in hoards from each other at least. :rolleyes:

You make your fun in this game and if you can't, well, you leave or come here and whine about it. Or does Hitech have the MODs force us all to "just get along" for our $14.95?? I'd like to see the rule book those MODs would be forcing us from, wouldn't you? Kind of like the Internet was not broken in 2015 when it got MOD'd real good, and now AH needs rules so we will all get along together and "be happy"?? And the answer to not everyone being happy in primary education was to take away recess and sports for the greater good.

How much are you willing to take away from all those other paying customers who don't play the game your way?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
You guys have jumped the shark here.  The OP wasn't advocating for Hitech to change the game.  He issued a challenge for folks to up fighters vs bombers for field defense. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:26:29 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member

Coogan

Shoot, bomber gunners can hit me at 1.5K and do lethal damage. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -