Author Topic: A Terrain and Game Play observation.  (Read 1030 times)

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
Re: A Terrain and Game Play observation.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 03:10:48 PM »
I have a great respect for anyone who is trying to improve the game. I have only got to play Oceania once and it was a ball. Thank you for all you and Jinx are doing to make this game better and anyone else who is doing work to improve the game.<S>
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
WTG bustr............nice terrains.

Don't the super vocal minority squash creativity.

It's a big play pen to keep GV's from moving across the map is what it is

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »
8thJinx if 5x5 is allowed, they are so small for the MA, poorly designed and poorly painted will stand out like you haven't taken a bath in 6 months.

New and different is fun for the customer but, they start looking at everything else in a holistic relationship because you the designer are setting their brains to that expectation. So poorly painted gimmics won't feel right, nor will poorly constructed and painted terrain. Ever noticed when WT does a themed tank arena say for North Africa, the villages they keyston cops through are North African......

I'm not sure what the expectations are with these new land objects.  You can't do/make/construct anything more complex than what's currently done at the center of Ndisles, or in a town, or on the GV bases, as far as terrain undulations and textures are concerned.  The limit is right around a 5 to 8 foot vertex spacing.

If you're looking for explodable rock walls and the trees you can run over from World of Tanks, that is simply not possible in AH3.  I don't believe I promised that stuff. 

What I can promise as that these land objects will have more features than the simple, table-top flat, 1/8 mile terrain polys, painted with the basic atlas textures.  And this is all still a big "if", anyway.  I haven't submitted anything yet for approval.  I'm still setting up the templates for them, so anyone can play around with making them without having to re-invent the hierarchy wheel.     

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »
I always liked maps that was based on the real world (earth), if i lived on a planet called Pizza i guess the current maps would be immersive. Thats my personal gameplay observation  :cool:
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 02:02:37 PM »
The limitations of the polygon mesh are the reason terrains are like creating a haunted house. Everyone knows it's made of "illusions" and the best illusions within the framework of the house give the patrons the rush of excitement for a moment that the designer keeps elevated in the patrons by how the path through the house and it's gimmicks are constructed. The better the illusion the better is remembered that moment, so the house and gimmicks have to compliment each other and seem plausable. The terrain is the house and the feilds, ports, strats, etc and any other gimmicks like bridges over streams and hopefully, some of what you can gain acceptance by Hitech are the strawberries on the icing to the illusions created around them.

This is why the smaller the terrain the better from soup to nuts that terrain has to be or it's obvious you are trying to pull it off with strawberries only. And why our competitors may do smaller arenas but, if it's a North Africa arena, the clutter, villages and all the gimmicks are North Africa.

For the most part over the years our Melee arena terrains have been kludge themes and while being so gigantic with so many players, the size hid the kludgeyness. And the terrain editor was not our current one with the new tiles and slightly smaller polygons. There is still a lot of room to work with the micro terrain areas in the terrain editor, it's really time consuming because then I have to test each one and tweak them how ever many feilds have GV spawns to them. One 10x10 terrain can have up to 100+ micro terrains for GV combat that would work as arenas for at least one of our competitors. Oceania was an experiment in looking at some GV micro terrain features to see what the terrain editor's limitations are at that scale. Custom objects 1x1 up to 4x4 still have the limitation of laying down level while with hilly country and small mountain ranges you don't often get natural 1x1 flat level areas unless someone sent in a construction team to remove the top of a mountain or hill. I know individual objects are available in the object list and I've laid them down to create neat GV combat spaces but, I get the impression there are dangers to that concerning FPS and minimum spacing requirements that end up being FPS eaters for players.

Ultimately elevations in our game where GVers are concerned, are best showcased to what players want is on Buzzsaw at field A2 the north spawn on top of the large hill overlooking the airfield. They can take down the GV hanger from a safe position never needing air support while everyone on the field is yelling at each other. Then get down onto the field and stick it to the flyboys for hours because today very few players go shutdown the enemy GV's home hangers. 10 players with planes and GVs otherwise cannot stop three Gvers with T34\85 and a wirbel from screwing their airfield all night long. There is quite a lot of room for micro terrain still to be explored with the terrain editor.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
Oh!! not to forget the original reason for this post.

Hitech,

Have I given you enough information to consider 5x5 terrains for the Melee arena with the standard distance between airfields at 19 miles? I believe the AvA and Special Events terrain builders would be able to increase the numbers of "AH3 original terrains" for the Melee arena in the spirit of the new graphics engine, terrain editor, and new customers looking at AH3 for the first time faster than I can with 10x10. Paying more attention to the terrain details and how they look at a distance would be paramount on such small terrains. And if you accept some of 8thJinx terrain objects for GV combat, that will help speed up production time. I'm sure Easyscor and others probably already have many objects that may also fit the requirements.

I may be cheer leading myself out of a terrain job here since I like creating the kinds of terrains I do my way. I believe 5x5 well built is fairer to the current 150 on average in the Melee arena, and to new customers, will make the arena look jammed full of activity and people. You will always have the larger terrains and I'm an optimist, I think numbers will increase with the new tax code signed into law recently.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Yes at the left end of that valley is a 4,000ft deep crack which is the prototype for a massive crack system in the 5,000ft high green area at the back end of each country. I tested how narrow I can make the crack's floor to keep it flat to allow GV's to drive the length of it. About 1\4mile or slightly smaller......

Your saying that GV's can run the length of this? have you tried climbing out of this.......? It would appear any attempt to enter this tank trap would result in tumbling out of control and landing upside down at the bottom. It's designs like this that are frustrating the GV community what appears to be landscape that GV's can operate in....are nothing more than a big tank trap.....might as well fill it with water and be done with it