Author Topic: WTH is up with video cards?  (Read 27451 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: WTH is up with video cards?
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:09:03 AM by Skuzzy »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Right.  And I’m happy I’m invested in it.

Can’t wait to see what 5 years brings
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:09:17 AM by Skuzzy »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2018, 06:16:59 PM »
Yes and I heard recently in Iceland a bunch of aces higers got together and stole every graphics card and computer on the continent.  I love iceland. :bolt:
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline save

• Gold Member
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2018, 09:20:14 PM »
If you want to put your money in a market outside of the traditional banking systems, then you should buy gold. Put your money into anything that is not tangible risks a zero value crash as new, improved technologies emerge. Don't forget the rush to get into the .com market.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2018, 07:36:58 PM »
Time wheel tail the tell
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »
Del, check out the reviews of the new AMD Ryzen 2400G - this CPU has built-in Vega graphics, and it is able to play some high end games at low/medium settings with decent frame rates.  I am hoping somebody will try it with AH3 out and report results to us.   You could add a video card at a later date with a system built around that.

Otherwise I think a $250 1050Ti would be a reasonable starter card you could get by with until prices come down.  I have an 4Gb Radeon RX 480, prolly roughly equivalent to the 1050Ti, I get 60 fps at default graphics settings - which include shadows, reflections, etc.  I am running at 1080p.   The miners aren't going so much for the lower end cards, so the prices aren't so outrageous and stock should be available.   You still have options.

I just tested the laptop verson of the new CPU.  Its the 2500U in the Envy x360, 8gb ram, 2ghz processor.  With all sliders maxed, disabling reflections and post processing I was getting 40 fps looking around the tower.  When I logged in and sliders around the middle it was capped at 60fps.  I can only imagine the desktop versions will be much more powerful and will have no problems playing 60fps with maxed sliders.

Unbelievably I just moved over my my other dauther's alienware laptop with a GTX 970M, aftermarket improved memory 16gb, and i7 2.5ghz, SSD, and I'm only getting ~29 fps with the same settings.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:36:38 PM by haggerty »
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Cool Haggerty, glad to hear it.  Just curious, what do you get in the same situation when you click the "Default" graphic settings button?   This include POST processing options, shadows, reflections, ENV slider = 1, but the rest of the sliders are at middle or lower I think.

Also I often get better frame rates after I go to the runway - sometimes the tower is harder on frame rates than being in the cockpit on the runway.  Don't know why.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2018, 07:21:14 PM »
Looks like GPUs are finally returning to MSRP prices. Wonder how the crypto investments are paying off now.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »
Crypto is down overall from the time of the highest GPU insanity, anyone can see that looking at the charts.  Still, people do make $ off mining still, and with the GPU market somewhat "normalizing" now, I'm wondering what's going to happen with the 1180/2080/whatever the new nVidia GPU coming in a month or three...

There are dedicated mining units coming which the GPU manufacturers are hoping will alleviate any strain put on the new GPU cards coming from both nVidia and AMD, but will that be enough?  Hard to say, I'd bet on most of the initial founders edition 1180/whatever cards getting snapped up by the miners unless some sort of preventions are put in place to try and mitigate this.  That'll disrupt the GPU market all over again.  Worst case scenario anyway.  I'm hoping it doesn't happen, I really want to grab the new nVidia cards right away, a couple Founders and then a couple more of the non Founder versions rumored to be out in July/August. I'm not holding my breath, and will count myself lucky to get to upgrade just one system with a new GPU.  The up side to this is that the $ I have in the 3 1080ti and 1 Titan XP should stay around long enough to sell them for some value while upgrading them.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
Ill be curious to see what the used 1080 tis will go for in the next year or so.  Might be worth upgrading my system. Though id be worried about their reliability if they were run 24/7.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2018, 05:50:39 AM »
Been waiting a year to upgrade my home video card.  Went ahead and got a new monitor.  Still not happy with video card prices.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
Me either. I won't even consider coming back to AH until the price becomes reasonable again. Not that I can't afford it, I just don't want to pay big money on a card for a game that I have little impulse to play right now.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »
The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB that at $229, I bought September 2016 has now, after a $30 mail-in rebate, finally almost come down to the price I paid for it, about $210.

This card btw, runs AH3 well on the Oculus Rift.