Author Topic: X55 Flaws and Solutions (Must Read)  (Read 445 times)

Offline LTCClark

• Copper Member
X55 Flaws and Solutions (Must Read)
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »
Ok X55s by Saitek have been discontinued and there are some flaws with the software as well as the hardware.

So lets go through this.

Ghosting Issues Missing Buttons and stuff
the X55 will ghost if you have them connected to USB 3.0 ports on the same hubs.  So dont use USB 3.0 and also dont have them connected to the same hubs.
The software and IRQs will conflict every now and then causing ghosting issues with the throttles.

Simple fix there.

Throttle not working or intermittent issues etc.

Requirements:
    Soldering Iron
    Phillips Head Screwdriver (Long shaft #1)
    heat shrink tubing

You can take apart the throttle and you will find that some of the wires have bent or are cracked on the right throttle.
Simply take the throttle apart fix the wires and heat shrink tubing the wires and set them back in.  This may take you a few times to do.

Second fix

In the base of the controller you will see a long black wire going to the switch ( this is a ground wire)

This wire has been known to get caught in the gears on the base of the device as well as the tension gear on the left of the throttle base.

Take some hot glue and hot glue it to the top of the base and keep it out of the way.

Replacement Parts
for just about everything (non cosmetic) you can visit Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com) and order just about anything you would need.
Get VoiceBot and Use Speech for game commands
www.voicebot.net
AutoHotkey and Software repo maps etc for AHIII

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: X55 Flaws and Solutions (Must Read)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:49 PM »
they are not discontinued--Logitech bought Madcatz out which had bought Saiteck. X-55 and X-56 available thru Amazon- but not available Amazon Prime
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: X55 Flaws and Solutions (Must Read)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »
The only issue I have ever had with my X55 is the hat switch shafts flat spot over time. With the small tolerance between the shaft and the buttons it makes for a lot of "non contact". My solution was to dismantle the handle and remove the hat switches. I then filed a groove around the shaft at the spot the flat spots were at. I then used a plastic friendly epoxy to fill the groove back in. Once the epoxy had set I filed the shafts back down to the starting diameter. It works well.

I wish they would sell replacement stick handles to just screw on the base, or at least sell the hat switch shafts.