Author Topic: Another Monitor question  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
Another Monitor question
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:33 AM »
I recently bought a new computer with an Intel I-7-8700 processor, ssd, 16g of ram, and a NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB graphics card.  I'm still using my old Asus 24" 1920 x 1080 ips display.  I am thoroughly confused by all this refresh rate stuff.  I assume for the best I would want to buy a g-sync monitor, but I don't want to spend 500+ dollars for one. 

I would like to step up to a 27" to maybe a 32" monitor.  Will one of the cheaper freesync monitors work?  Now I know that I will not get the benefits of freesync doing this but what refresh rate would I get or even need?  Is a 60 hz refresh rate all I really need or what? 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Another Monitor question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
As I understand it, there is no benefit to a Freesync monitor with an Nvidia GPU.

Some say there is an advantage to higher monitor refresh rates.  I have never had a monitor that will go faster than 60Hz, so can't comment.

I use Nvidia "fast" sync with vsync turned off.  "Fast" sync is an advantage when the game render rate is faster than the monitor refresh (which would probably be your situation if you use a 60Hz monitor).  On my system, the AH render rate varies from 60ish to 150+ -- usually around 80-90.  What "fast" sync does is buffer the frames and wait until the monitor is ready for a new one, then send the most recently rendered frame.  This provides low lag and eliminates "tearing".  Gsync is an advantage when the monitor refresh rate is faster than the render rate, it will slow the refresh to match the render rate.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:17:12 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »
Your old monitor is still valid by all measures as long as it works flawlessly. 24" is also a very good size for 1920 x 1080. So if you're happy with it there's nothing to be ashamed of.

However, your video card is capable for much more than what your monitor can display. There's two routes you can choose and even mix to a certain extent.

Route 1: More pixels and size. You've most likely heard about 4K. It literally is as tough for a video card as four of your current monitors. If the image quality of your current one pleases you, a 48" 4K would give the same level of sharpness with quadruplicated details. Small 4K screens are somewhat of a waste of resources since the details in pictures would be too small for you to see. If you want something between 24 and 48 inches, there's resolutions like 2560 x 1440 which according the same math would suit a 30 - 34" screen. Also, there's 30 - 40" ultra wide screens at 3440 x 1440, all of which are easier to the GPU than 4K. Notice that size doesn't matter, the pixel count does.

Route 2: Higher refresh rate. The refresh rate of your monitor is what limits your frame rate. Although some people used to say that everything past 30 FPS is overkill and can't be seen, mostly based on the movie frame rate, it's a fact that in real life there's no frame rate or it's infinite. In either case anything less only gives an illusion of fluency. Back then players with better hardware claimed they could see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, now it's between 60 and 120 FPS. So the better the equipment get, the less we allow our eyes and brains being fooled.

For a GTX 1070 Ti 4K should play quite nicely at 60 Hz, maybe with some details cut. A 1440p or an ultra wide at 100+ Hz might be nicer for fast paced games.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
I was thinking of a 2K monitor. I guess my question was can I run it faster than 60 Hz refresh rate but not at freesync levels. All the stuff is Greek to me
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
Freesync is not supported by NVidia.  It is a wasted feature for you.

Whatever the native vertical sync rate is of the monitor will be the frame rate the game is going to run at.  We do not recommend disabling vertical sync.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
Rondar look at 27", 2560x1440, 120hz or faster. 

Or just get a VR headset.    :D

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
Thanks guys.  For some reason I had it stuck in my mind if I didn't use gsync I would be stuck at 60 hz refresh rate. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
Gsynch would be smoother at low framerates.

Adjust your settings for best picture with framerates to match the monitor, i.e. 120 or better.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 12:48:46 AM »
Rondar look at 27", 2560x1440, 120hz or faster. 

I'd rather recommend 30" for that resolution, it has roughly the same pixel size as the current one which correlates directly to font and icon size. I.e. the familiar look plus half a screen of extra space. I know by experience, I have both.

A strong yes for 120 Hz or faster.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »
In your thoughts, you might add VR.  Just note VR is not an eye candy machine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:54:03 AM by Randy1 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
I'd rather recommend 30" for that resolution, it has roughly the same pixel size as the current one which correlates directly to font and icon size. I.e. the familiar look plus half a screen of extra space. I know by experience, I have both.

A strong yes for 120 Hz or faster.

Given the Op's financial restraint I recommended the less expensive size for 120hz.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »
Given the Op's financial restraint I recommended the less expensive size for 120hz.

For what I've seen size doesn't affect pricing too much if the overall quality stays the same. Something like https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VA32AQ-1440p-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B01M10V28T/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1516896125&sr=1-5&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6570749011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547808011%2Cp_36%3A-40000 would fit the criteria for a decent price, IMO.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »
I'm not seeing 120hz for that monitor.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:37:11 AM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »
Vsych off and fast in nvidia settings, i just bought a 144hz AOC G2460pf monitor.

The freesynch no use for my card but the game is smooth and no stutters, i never go below 80 fsp and no tearing :banana:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario