Author Topic: Nvdia "Turing" cards  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Nvdia "Turing" cards
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:30:26 PM »
Reuters reporting that nVidia is likely calling their new retail gaming GPU line "Turing" and  perhaps not "Volta".  Due in March, sometime next month, they are also manufacturing like crazy.  Should be interesting to see what they bring to the table what with current GPU market conditions, as well as their incredible company financial performance in the last reports.

I've been waiting, just hope I'm able to snag a couple, my dealer is pretty good about pre ordering, but now, who knows.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nvidia-results-research/frenzied-demand-for-nvidias-graphic-chips-shoot-prices-through-the-roof-idUSKBN1FT2AW

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Nvdia "Turing" cards
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 06:16:30 AM »
Cryptocrazies....

Iceland reports that crytocrazy data centers now use more electricity than the entire residential population does.  Just awesome.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:30:19 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »
Wow, that's a crazy statistic.  I wonder how much longer governments will allow crypto to go unregulated, just based off the strain on the power grids worldwide...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:37 PM »
Can't discuss that Gman.  Let's not go down the P-word path.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »
Wow, that's a crazy statistic.  I wonder how much longer governments will allow crypto to go unregulated, just based off the strain on the power grids worldwide...

I can't happen soon enough! I am ready to return to my gaming hobby but I refuse to pay $1k for a video card alone.

I know I've said this before, but I will buy any video cards after the governmental crackdown at an 80% reduction.  :devil
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »
When it goes down pear shaped will decent gpu be sold for £20
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »

China has already started, though not to regulate but to make illegal, and some other countries are moving in the same direction.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:04 AM »
I can't happen soon enough! I am ready to return to my gaming hobby but I refuse to pay $1k for a video card alone.

I know I've said this before, but I will buy any video cards after the governmental crackdown at an 80% reduction.  :devil

You can already go to nearly an manufacturers site and buy 1060, 1070, or 1080s with a waterblock CPU cooler for as low as $440.

https://www.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 02:12:18 AM »
Turing won't be a gaming chip, it's supposed to be a chip for mining.
The codename family is wrong, Turing was a famous Mathematician but the gaming chips are named after famous Physicists

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
You can already go to nearly an manufacturers site and buy 1060, 1070, or 1080s with a waterblock CPU cooler for as low as $440.

Which is still more money than I would pay for a brand new model card a year ago. I'll wait... I refuse to pay that much money, gaming is not my life.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »
Turing won't be a gaming chip, it's supposed to be a chip for mining.
The codename family is wrong, Turing was a famous Mathematician but the gaming chips are named after famous Physicists

Correction. Turing was a logician. So, it could go either way. Nvidia wants to support gamers as they are the primary user base of GPUs. It is also true that game developers are struggling to find cards without purchasing entire workstations.

There are also new cards coming that will allow for new levels of artificial intelligence in games. To support this feature requires ultrafast memory, which is another reason for higher prices, and stacked memory. Prices are likely to remain high for some time, if you consider $400 high.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »
There are also new cards coming that will allow for new levels of artificial intelligence in games. To support this feature requires ultrafast memory, which is another reason for higher prices, and stacked memory. Prices are likely to remain high for some time, if you consider $400 high.

If this is to become the norm, PC gaming will die. It will be very sad to see consoles take over the market permanently.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 05:03:16 AM »
No, pc gaming will not die, because there will always be older cards, or new cards with reduced power. Also, not all games have to use the most powerful cards. Gamers have always been the driving force behind more powerful video cards. If the trend of price gouging continues, then Nvidia will probably go to a registration method of distribution, or you can buy a card with a new system. Plus, there are always embedded systems, all-in-one PCs, and so on.

It won't be the end of PC gaming, because games are made on PCs. Well, it is true that you can make them on Xbox One now, but what Microsoft allows today could literally be gone tomorrow.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 01:16:36 PM »
No, pc gaming will not die, because there will always be older cards, or new cards with reduced power. Also, not all games have to use the most powerful cards. Gamers have always been the driving force behind more powerful video cards. If the trend of price gouging continues, then Nvidia will probably go to a registration method of distribution, or you can buy a card with a new system. Plus, there are always embedded systems, all-in-one PCs, and so on.

It won't be the end of PC gaming, because games are made on PCs. Well, it is true that you can make them on Xbox One now, but what Microsoft allows today could literally be gone tomorrow.

This is truer than you imagine. I heard they are planning to remove x86 support for their next o/s.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 06:25:24 AM »
My personal computer is due for a refresh, but that is not going to happen.  For the first time, in a very long time, buying an OEM computer is much cheaper than building a computer.  It is a horrible time to need a computer.

Seems to be a race as to who can go up in price the fastest.  RAM or video cards.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese