Author Topic: Why so much animosity?  (Read 7207 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why so much animosity?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
I do not see the animosity directed at sneaking bases or undefended bases.  I see animosity towards GVers at being unable to locate an enemy that could be anywhere within a 6-7 square mile area before GV dar's arrival.  Now that GV dar has arrived the area has been narrowed down to about half that to 2-3 square miles. There is no flashing arrow, but it does make the possibility of find a GV more realistic and less time consuming.  So now there is animosity from GV'ers who feel like they can no longer hide for long periods of time undetected.  Action is forced if there is a determined hunter on the ground or in the air.  In my opinion GV DAR is a great add to the game and I still see no reason to remove it.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 03:17:42 PM »
I do not see the animosity directed at sneaking bases or undefended bases.  I see animosity towards GVers at being unable to locate an enemy that could be anywhere within a 6-7 square mile area before GV dar's arrival.  Now that GV dar has arrived the area has been narrowed down to about half that to 2-3 square miles. There is no flashing arrow, but it does make the possibility of find a GV more realistic and less time consuming.  So now there is animosity from GV'ers who feel like they can no longer hide for long periods of time undetected.  Action is forced if there is a determined hunter on the ground or in the air.  In my opinion GV DAR is a great add to the game and I still see no reason to remove it.
And who says Pigs ain't smart! Perfectly answered Waystin.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
I think the animosity stems from those who through either lack of training, or the inability to learn tactics blaming deaths on game mechanics, 'inaccurate' modeling, poor client end security, updates to the game, or a myriad of other excuses to somehow justify their death as a result of the world being out to get them.   :old:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
Stealth, feinting, and flanking are frowned  upon here.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 11:38:18 PM »
And who says Pigs ain't smart! Perfectly answered Waystin.
+10 Who don't like BBQ  :neener: Well unless it's shooting at you :bhead   Oh and snake tastes like chicken, if you can find the sneaky bastages :ahand miss flying with ya Coppr :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 01:00:54 AM »
Don’t know about animosity ?

Daftness more like

On knights they try and take 6 bases all over the map at the same time.

And all the bases have the town white flagged and all the hangers are up.

Knights are the UN of AH
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »

I knew I was in the wrong place....

Should have taken a left in Dubuque.

- oldman
Dubuque? I muffed up and went right at Albuquerque...No wonder we were a no show for beers on Friday. Puma was furious.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
Don’t know about animosity ?

Daftness more like

On knights they try and take 6 bases all over the map at the same time.

And all the bases have the town white flagged and all the hangers are up.

Knights are the UN of AH

:rofl :rofl Aint that the truth.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
Dubuque? I muffed up and went right at Albuquerque...No wonder we were a no show for beers on Friday. Puma was furious.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah!  What up with that!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 06:02:56 AM »

Since I'm not playing any more I can only guess based on the BB posts on the subject; but, given how many people are now complaining about "invisible" GVs, I'm guessing that for most players they're every bit as hard to find in the post GV dar era as they were before. You're right that the search area has narrowed down, but because their presence is now instantly known, and they have no real defense against planes with bombs, they are much more inclined to skulk around in cover and hide as opposed to progress toward a target and fight.

The reason to lose the GV dar is simple: a lot of players, especially GVers, loathe it, and the players that like it never complained about not having one before, which suggests the previous status quo wasn't an issue for them.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 06:23:49 AM »
Since I'm not playing any more I can only guess based on the BB posts on the subject; but, given how many people are now complaining about "invisible" GVs, I'm guessing that for most players they're every bit as hard to find in the post GV dar era as they were before. You're right that the search area has narrowed down, but because their presence is now instantly known, and they have no real defense against planes with bombs, they are much more inclined to skulk around in cover and hide as opposed to progress toward a target and fight.

The reason to lose the GV dar is simple: a lot of players, especially GVers, loathe it, and the players that like it never complained about not having one before, which suggests the previous status quo wasn't an issue for them.
Seeing as how you were always at 30,000 feet on a strat run it would have been hard to hear the complaints either way.  You do not have much a horse in this race.   Sorry to see you go but hard to figure out why you are trying to fan flames under a roast you never plan on eating if it gets cooked.   :headscratch:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 02:01:08 PM »

I believe the previous status quo wasn't an issue for them because before, they didn't do it because they had to search 25 square miles or so when a base was flashing, and get to within short icon range before the GV could be seen.  GVs were effectively protected by the level of boredom GV hunting created.

Now with GV dar, the area they have to search is about 9 square miles.  That's a lot more manageable, and more people feel that's something they can do with a reasonable chance of success.  That's why they like it, because it makes GV hunting more worth their time.

The reason GVers loathe it because it made GV bombing more attractive where before only a few people would bother with it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »
Seeing as how you were always at 30,000 feet on a strat run it would have been hard to hear the complaints either way.  You do not have much a horse in this race.   Sorry to see you go but hard to figure out why you are trying to fan flames under a roast you never plan on eating if it gets cooked.   :headscratch:

Are you just trolling about the strat run thing? Look at my stats (Havermyr) for tours 214 and previous to see what I flew or drove and how often I flew/drove them.
And I've described ad nauseum why the GV dar was a big enough deal for me to unsubscribe over. I'm persistent and emphatic about the GV dar because it changed a game I loved to one that, to my sorrow, I don't play any more.  It's not all bad--the time that's free now is used in doing other things I enjoy--but it's a sad thing nevertheless.
If I were the only one who loathed the GV dar and thought it changed the game in a fundamental way there'd be no point in me pursuing this, but I'm not: lots of people loathe it, some just as much as I do.

And finally, I'll repeat the post to which you responded (not answered!) in case you missed its point.

"Since I'm not playing any more I can only guess based on the BB posts on the subject; but, given how many people are now complaining about "invisible" GVs, I'm guessing that for most players they're every bit as hard to find in the post GV dar era as they were before. You're right that the search area has narrowed down, but because their presence is now instantly known, and they have no real defense against planes with bombs, they are much more inclined to skulk around in cover and hide as opposed to progress toward a target and fight."

Agree or disagree?

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »
 Flew on my son's $$$ unit via Steam again(keep trying to tempt him, I'm just try chip away) was 'handed' to myself, but loved it....seems better than I keep hearing. There is SOME aspect I love not being transmitted...and no I have no clue past that.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 06:51:04 PM »
Are you just trolling about the strat run thing? Look at my stats (Havermyr) for tours 214 and previous to see what I flew or drove and how often I flew/drove them.
And I've described ad nauseum why the GV dar was a big enough deal for me to unsubscribe over. I'm persistent and emphatic about the GV dar because it changed a game I loved to one that, to my sorrow, I don't play any more.  It's not all bad--the time that's free now is used in doing other things I enjoy--but it's a sad thing nevertheless.
If I were the only one who loathed the GV dar and thought it changed the game in a fundamental way there'd be no point in me pursuing this, but I'm not: lots of people loathe it, some just as much as I do.

And finally, I'll repeat the post to which you responded (not answered!) in case you missed its point.

"Since I'm not playing any more I can only guess based on the BB posts on the subject; but, given how many people are now complaining about "invisible" GVs, I'm guessing that for most players they're every bit as hard to find in the post GV dar era as they were before. You're right that the search area has narrowed down, but because their presence is now instantly known, and they have no real defense against planes with bombs, they are much more inclined to skulk around in cover and hide as opposed to progress toward a target and fight."

Agree or disagree?
I disagree.  GV's have always skulked around.  They would be foolish to drive boldly in the open without disabling ordnance or air cover during an attack.  This is not because of the addition of GV dar, it has always been that way.  What you are really asking is "why can't I up a vehicle and let them guess if it's an NOE plane or a vehicle instead of them knowing exactly that it is a vehicle and that the vehicle is in this 2-3 square mile area."  By the way 2-3 square miles a pretty huge hiding spot by the way.  Go ahead and sit on the sidelines and pout, but I do not see HTC changing this.  Too many like the addition and only a handful seem to dislike it.