Author Topic: Windows Pro 10 N - and VR....  (Read 527 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Windows Pro 10 N - and VR....
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
I have three main gaming machines in my house... mine a 970GTX and a i7... son #1 with a decent i5 3.8Ghz cpu Win10Pro and a Asus 770 GTX, and son #2 has a i3 2.8Ghz 550GTX WinPro N.  What could go wrong?

So, here's my story...

Amazon had a special where I could get the Acer VR headset for around $300 each. I jumped on it - damn the requirements, I'll just upgrade my lads computers and mine if required.

I ran Microsoft's VR readiness tool... All 3 gaming machines needed Bluetooth 4.0, no problemo...a $60 fix. Two machines needed proper USB 3.0 plugs - ok, two PCI-e USB 3.0 cards...no problemo #2. Two of the boys computers also needed newer video cards. Min requirement for Video is 1050...so I picked up two 1050Ti's  and replaced a 550 GTX and a 770 GTX (though the 1050Ti is not as fast as a 770...but winVR says NEIN! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, all three machines now show green with the VR tool... set up my son's computer...after some registry fracking hacking...and WinVR works ok. FML...it took some serious sleuthing to figure out why it wasn't working properly. Anyhoo, after telling my OS that indeed it was VR ready via a simple registry edit, it finally setup the VR properly...yet the hand controllers won't work. But the VR is working just fine. pretty good actually.  Son is a little miffed that his framerates are a little slower than his original 770, but he's ok now that he has VR.  Pain points were that all Windows VR installs and driver updates are done via the fantastic (I say this VERY sarcastically) Windows Update ecosystem - and that caused ALL the pain.   :bhead

Onto my son's 10 Pro N machine. VR checks out (it doesn't have the USB issue). Plugged in the Bluetooth adaptor. Made sure it had the media player content installed. Ran the setup...and it wouldn't go past the main areas.  WTH.  His Acer VR won't install the drivers in the device manager. Then I do some sleuthing... turns out...Windows 10 Pro N is not VR compatible for windows virtual media.  Yet that is not what I based my decision on. The VR readiness tool says yes.

Solution?  Wipe and reinstall Windows 10 Pro.  Ugh. That is a weekend process.  :furious

So, I'm going to set it up on my PC next but I suspect I also have Windows 10 Pro N.

Why doesn't Microsoft make sure their VR check tools point out "HEY - YOU GOT WINDOWS N - NO VR FOR YOU!"

But no.  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:38:14 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Windows Pro 10 N - and VR....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
Sounds like a pretty huge hassle. Good for you figuring it all out and getting it up and running.

I"m sure posting about Windows 10 N(o soup for you) Editiion will save some folks some trouble.   :cheers:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Windows Pro 10 N - and VR....
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
Out of the four windows gaming machines we have in the house, 2 are Windows Pro N.  (of course, one if mine)  :bhead

This is going to be painful...
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech