Author Topic: I won't put another steak on the bbq ever again, unless there is no other way  (Read 2986 times)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
I prefer cast iron, then the oven.

Butter or Ghee in the pan, salt and pepper the pan.
Salt and pepper the meat.
Pre-heat oven to 500.
Heat the pan on med-hi.
2-3 minutes per side, searing them.
Put the pan in the oven for 8-12 minutes, depending on the rareness.  8 will make it rare and bloody, 10 is pink with a lot of blood, and 12 or more gets it medium.

Use the remnants in the pan to make homemade gravy...flour and milk.

Same thing for Swordfish, and other fish steaks, except the oven is set to 425, and I cook the steaks for 20 minutes after searing each side.  Never overcooked, very succulent, and never dry.

I only grill when it's for a lot of folks at the house.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
12  inch cast iron skillet / amish butter (browned) / searing hot for 2 minutes on each side / 8 mins in a 350 deg. oven / light dash of cayenne and a brush of rosemary after dipping it in the browned butter / 5 minute rest!

Damn now I'm hungry!

Oh....go to food wishes and look up the recipe for Fondant potatoes.  Perfect side for stakies!!!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:59:41 PM by ToeTag »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
but with "healthy" eating becoming more important..... especially as I get older...... Butter is now on the back shelf and other ways need to be found to get the most out of any cooking. Adding cream or butter is a cheat, and can kill you  :devil

Debunked now.. fat is considered good for you...sugar is the new enemy!

obviously moderation in all things is a good line to follow..

enjoy your butter and cream!
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
I do this all the time!  I use butter and oil,the oil stops the butter from burning.

I have 2 different cast iron pans,one is ribbed and made in the skillet fashion the other is 1890's pan that is 12 inches and very well seasoned.

I like to put the meat in the freezer for about an hour before cooking and only use dry seasonings. My dad was a chef and he taught me this when I was fairly young. He said keep your place clean and learn to cook,women like that.... :aok

That said I still like to grill but when it's 20 below outside you really have to WANT to grill!

:salute
You spell 'psycho' differently up there.  Never used 'WANT' in place of psychotic. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Hi Curval. I love pan fried steaks too. Can I suggest regular olive oil instead of extra virgin? Extra virgin has a low flash point, changing the flavor and even giving off toxic smoke?

Google it and it gives you an excuse to cook up another one. :)

This was excellent advice and I now have a bottle of regular olive oil just for steaks.  Much better.

My dog thanks you too, the remaining goo in the pan ends up drizzled on her kibble which she loves. 
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Its a dogs life
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
This was excellent advice and I now have a bottle of regular olive oil just for steaks.  Much better.

My dog thanks you too, the remaining goo in the pan ends up drizzled on her kibble which she loves.

Deglaze that fond with a bit of wine and you are 95% of the way there for nice pan sauce.  Real easy and quick.

Here is a instructional video:

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
LOL

That would be some seriously fattening sauce based on all the butter and oil.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
You spell 'psycho' differently up there.  Never used 'WANT' in place of psychotic.

Nothing Psycho about it,I grill all winter long!! It's just a little tough to do in minus 30 weather :D I keep the grill at the back door,lights are setup,it gets dark after about 4:30 pm and I can stay just inside and "watch" the grill.

Besides raw reindeer and whale blubber taste better cooked than raw,frozen it makes a passable Popsicle...... Fresh seal eyes are Canadian icecream!!!

The dogsled is all hitched up and ready to go!!!

:salute