Author Topic: The need for strategically implemented ground vehicles: tactical air operations  (Read 635 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Hi HTC:

I am aware that when ground vehicles arrive, they will not be a part of the strategical setup in Aces High.  However, Hitech did point out that it wasn't writ in stone, and this could change in future.  Hence, my strong recommendation for this to be changed.

The last changes to the La-5FN have altered its WEP capability, such that it only works up to 8,000 feet.  While the Lavochkin is just one of the ten, or so, aircraft in Aces High, any other Soviet aircraft to be implemented here will be similarly affected.  This will result in a whole set of future aircraft that will be limited to low-medium altitude.  

This, in and of itself, is not bad.  It is realistic and accurate, since the VVS was an air force mainly designed to support ground operations (as was the Luftwaffe). Thus, their aircraft should be implemented realistically.  However, given the current state of field capture (paradrop), the focal point of air combat in Aces High is exclusively in the air, whereas in WWII it was just as often (if not more so) on the ground.

What will result is an entire planeset that will be poorly suited to this game's method of strategy.  Also, a few other aircraft in other air forces will be similarly disadvantaged (Stuka, Typhoon, He-129(219?)).

I suggest that HTC seriously consider an alternative, yet not exclusive, method of field capture: via troops from ground vehicles.  Maybe, instead of making a jeep, make an armoured personnel carrier instead.  This will allow for 10 troops that can be carried to an enemy field.  The tank and flakpanzer will assist in seeing the personnel carrier to the objective.  Methods can be implemented that allow for no more than 15 minutes (40mph) travel time from objective to objective while keeping airfields at their present distances.  As I stated above, this capture method would be in addition to the paradrop method.  

Finally, it would not be necessary to create any ground vehicle production targets that would affect the availability of these vehicles, or any of their components.  Since most people play Aces High for the airplanes I should think that we would rarely see whole panzer divisions loose upon the land.

HTC, please consider it.

Added: I think it should be noted/corrected that what I'm recommending is actually a new tactical method, not a strategic one.  This new tactical method will, however, affect the strategy of the game, no doubt.

I'm also shooting for the record in edits ...

------------------
leonid
129 IAP VVS RKKA

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 01-25-2000).]

ingame: Raz

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Sounds good to me.  We need something to do with rockets.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog

Since most people play Aces High for the airplanes I should think that we would rarely see whole panzer divisions loose upon the land.

Mhhhh, this would be quite nice though  
Especialy if you can have a different bloke being the Gunner/Driver...

The "Bulge" all over again  

------------------
Saint
DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Right on Leonid.. we need positive suggestions like this; and we certainly need to modify the tactical enviornment.. the current one is getting stale.  

Salute!

Hang

------------------
PALE HORSES
"I looked, and behold; a Pale Horse, and it's riders name was Death, and Hell followed with him" Rev 6.8
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
I agree comletely with Leonid. We need a reason to attack the ground targets. Why carry all those bombs and rockets on a fighter, If a Buff will take out bases better and more accurately?

I am really, really, enjoying AH. However, there is more online sim competetion on the horizon, which will take ground warfare into account, and Fighterace already has a decent strategic system built into FA2, which actually makes hitting trains,tanks, and trucks important.

If you could even add supply routes to forward bases using trucks (Trains would be cool too ;-) to supply them, such that there would be a reason to attack convoys, I think that could add alot of depth to AH. I understand it isn't that easy to implement, but I hope you guys consider some scheme which effects the overall `strength'/`control' of the land to really push the notch up in AH. Great job so far HTC.

HaHa

We all know it needs to be done, we all know we want it to be done BUT I'm sure it requires a huge amount of resources to implement such a thing.. hence it won't be done  

Offline -cman-

• Zinc Member
      • http://cman.digitalmechanics.cx

I am aware that when ground vehicles arrive, they will not be a part of the strategical setup in Aces High. However, Hitech did point out that it wasn't writ in stone, and this could change in future. Hence, my strong recommendation for this to be changed.

This is interesting.  I'll have to go back and look at my notes and tapes but I am pretty sure HT and Pyro said in their interview for the October combatsim.com article that they DID want ground vehicles to fit into the strategic picture.  So, if this is true it may represent some rethinking on HT and Pyro's parts.

If true it is also dissapointing.  Both the players and AH need something else to do besides play endless games of capture the flag.  When WB 3.0 and WWIIOL (yuk, what an awful acronym) come out AH is going to be under a lot of pressure to distinguish itself as something besides, "Warbirds but better, but not quite as all-encompassing as WWIIOL."

A halfway decent tactical battlefield situation that can be affected by the players would certainly be a start.

Besides, I'm with Leonid. I'm basically a frontal aviation kinda guy.  I want to be shooting the sh*t out of tanks and stuff in my Sturmovik and Typhoon and I want it to MATTER.

------------------
-cman-
The Dweebs of Death
"Death before dishonor,
often just moments
before."