Author Topic: anyone playing on "steam"  (Read 1686 times)

Offline dixonaw

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
anyone playing on "steam"
« on: March 02, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »
Has anyone used the game on steam. I found that my Flight simulator 10 was more stable on steam than on my hard drive.
If I transferred all my settings to the steam version, would I be able to return them to the hard drive version or are they in fact just copied over rather than moved.
If you have played on steam how did you find it compared to the hard drive version
Matelot

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: anyone playing on "steam"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
Im pretty sure the Steam version of the game and what you call "the hard drive" version of the game are the same. The only difference is that they are put in different sections of your hard drive. One version is where you installed it C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III the other is buried inside the steam files. They both run the same way, the only difference being the steam version uses the Steam portal to start and connect with the game servers. I dont see how that would make one version run better than the other.

Offline dixonaw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »
Thanks Fugitive. I was under the impression that Steam used a "streaming" methodology rather than running directly from my hard drive. There is no doubt that when I run Flight simulator 10 directly from my hard drive It freezes after about 10 - 15 minutes of play, whereas played through steam a get over half and hour, before any sign of instability. That's what lead me to believe that it was streamed so I can't explain the difference.Also when I ran steam for the first time it asked if I wanted to transfer my original setting, I didn't. When I ran steam version I didn't get any of my joystick buttons to operate.
I think I will run the steam version (at least for a while) and see if there are any differences.
Matelot

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »
Thanks Fugitive. I was under the impression that Steam used a "streaming" methodology rather than running directly from my hard drive. There is no doubt that when I run Flight simulator 10 directly from my hard drive It freezes after about 10 - 15 minutes of play, whereas played through steam a get over half and hour, before any sign of instability. That's what lead me to believe that it was streamed so I can't explain the difference.Also when I ran steam for the first time it asked if I wanted to transfer my original setting, I didn't. When I ran steam version I didn't get any of my joystick buttons to operate.
I think I will run the steam version (at least for a while) and see if there are any differences.
Matelot

It asked you if you wish to import your AH2 settings. Also there is no way to have the same account between steam play and non steam play.

HiTech

Offline dixonaw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »
Thanks HiTech
I deleting my steam copy immediately. I have enjoyed aces high for many years with no real problems, so no need to drop it.
Matelot

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »
Instability with FS10 after half an hour points to some other issue. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 06:25:38 AM »
Another reason it may be working better with Steam is that Steam patches your games automatically, depending on your Steam settings.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
Another reason it may be working better with Steam is that Steam patches your games automatically, depending on your Steam settings.

Maybe not... I have new skins down loaded every time I am on
but I have never seen stutters or erratic FPS

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:16:49 PM »
 Humm, had issues w/AHIII on steam until it would not 'play'...opened somewhere, but not where I could access...
 Eviscerated the steam version (IE:deleted) reloaded from AH website, gained 10 frs while playing..granted it is in non-pay...
 Also...it(aces high game) recognized me...after doing go around.
 I am running old Azus laptop..best I have. Sometimes I do OK in match play.
 Your mileage WILL vary..
                                            JGroth