Author Topic: Nose Bounce  (Read 1385 times)

Offline TheBala

• Zinc Member
Nose Bounce
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
Hi there i was wounding if i could get some help i have a problem with nose bounce when going for kills it just sways left to right and pretty much all ways miss my shots ive tried diffrent programs scaling advie from others ive spoke to ...so this is the last hope that some can help me ive also changed my stick 3 times over black widow is what im using at the moment but have got a hotas and the top gun version which all three are great for bombing but in a plane well no chance .....any help and settings would be great  :airplane:

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Nose Bounce
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
There can be 2 issues causing nose bounce,either pitch or yaw!  If the nose is moving up and down then it's pitch,if it's moving side to side then it's yaw.

You say it's moving side to side so I would suspect it's your yaw or rudder inputs that are causing the issue,you can address this in a couple ways,easiest is to add some deadpan and dampening,dampening will effect the whole movement of rudder and deadpan will basically give you a dead zone around center of the axis.

Then you can try scalling,first you need to enable it,then you need to make adjustments,there are many ways to setup the scaling and there is no one setup that works for all players and all setups so you will have to experiment with what works best for you.

Personally I would try some deadpan and maybe a little dampening then go from there!  I'm usually in the training arena most week nights between 9pm and 11 pm est. I'd be happy to walk you through some of this and see if we cant get your stick sorted out,much easier to do when I can talk with you and it shouldnt take more than 10 or 15 minutes and you can go from there!!

hope this helps.

:salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
There are a few things to try.  Isolating the issue is the most difficult. Go to Options->Controls->Map Controllers.

1)  In the "Map Controllers" window, select the stick you are having the issue with.
Now, with your hand off the stick, watch the numbers in the parentheses to see if any are changing on their own.  If they are not changing, place your hand on the stick and hold it steady.  If the numbers are still not changing, then we need to look else where for that is causing the errant inputs.

If they are changing, for any axis, then we have a potential culprit.

2)  Select an axis which has changing numbers.  Check the "Advanced" box.
Check the "Enable Scaling" option.
A new flap opens up displaying that axis and a lot of adjustments available.

Ignore the scaling sliders (those 10 vertical sliders), for the moment.  Those sliders are best used once you have the errant input under control.

There are two sliders (Damping and Deadband) we are going to start with.
There is also a graph next to those sliders which show the "Raw" versus the "Scaled" input.

If the "Scaled" input is wiggling, then you need to make some adjustments.

Damping impacts the stick motion through the entire range of motion.  Deadband impacts the off center motion of the stick.  Neither of these options will prevent the full range the stick has available to it.  It just alters how the game applies it.

If you can move the stick and the "Scaled" line stays smooth, once you are off center, then you need to apply "Deadband".  A little at a time to until the "Scaled" graph stays smooth.

If the "Scaled" graph continues to show errant input after you move and hold the stick in position, then you need to add some "Damping".  Again, a little at a time until the "Scaled" graph smooths.

You may need to use both.  It just takes a bit of time and patience.  Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:09:31 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
There are a few things to try. 

Skuzzmeiser, is there some prominent place you can post things like this Very Fine Answer, so that others can find it easily, perhaps even years from now?

- oldman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
What are you using for rudder control?

It's possible that some nose bounce is just the flight model reminding you that you're flying an airplane.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
I did not address the vertical input axis sliders.

This does: http://www.hitechcreations.com/flight-controls/detailed-joystick-settings
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:20:18 AM »
Also, switch to decaf.    :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline TheBala

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »
well thanks so much guys for the help and info i will try to do all you said and try to sort it...... :salute
many thanks
Bala

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
What are you using for rudder control?

It is important that you answer this question asked by FLS, because horizontal sway you are experiencing is likely caused by rudder input.

If you put in rudder and then quickly center it you will notice some "sway" that occurs before the aircraft fully centers.  This horizontal sway (and vertical nose bounce as well) can have a dramatic effect on shooting -- it will widen your bullet dispersion at range making your fire less accurate and less effective.

So, how to minimize it?  Two tips:

First, determine if your rudder input is unintentional.  It is very easy to put in "accidental" rudder, especially if using a "twisty-stick" and especially when maneuvering aggressively for a shot.  You can bring up the calibration screen mentioned above and fly around with your rudder calibration screen open to see if you are inadvertently using rudder when you are maneuvering.  If so, experiment with scaling and deadband. Personally, I avoid using dampening if possible, because dampening adds a small delay to your input as it smooths it out.  YMMV

Second, if you are "aiming with your feet" (using rudder to aim precisely), especially at a more distant target like someone you are chasing, I suggest pressing and holding rudder very briefly during the shot instead of pressing and releasing rudder while shooting.  If you hold the rudder steady, you will tend to get less sway.  Of course, this adds drag (slows you down) if you are side-slipping, so it is not something you want to do with large amounts of rudder input or hold that rudder input for too long.  This is just a momentary way that I have found will lessen horizontal sway compared to pressing and releasing rudder.

<S>
KP
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:49:36 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.