Author Topic: Updating video driver: Best way?  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Updating video driver: Best way?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
I like DDU - display driver uninstaller. Uninstall your current driver, then in safe mode run DDU, the reboot and install the new driver.  I tried out nVidia Experience, giant POS IMO, doesn't really even do anything, just eats up processes and has extra background tasks running.  Booo.   Custom install = the driver, physx, and the sound drivers, no 3d or the other crap. 

You can get away without doing it this way, but eventually parts of previous drivers may stick around and conflict with new ones - for the extra 3 minutes it's worth it to run DDU in safe mode IMO every time.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »
And, as I have mentioned before, go to

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

and get the Autoruns program, do a search for Nvidia, and uncheck the Telemetry latches in your registry.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 10:58:21 PM »

and get the Autoruns program, do a search for Nvidia, and uncheck the Telemetry latches in your registry.

Thanks for the link, Chalenge!

Excellent piece of software!

Found stuff starting up that I wouldn't have seen otherwise that really don't need to be.........

Team Red thanks you!!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 06:10:31 AM »

Nice find.  Microsoft would have been the last place I looked for a utility like that.  I am including it in the "Hints and Tips" post in the support forums.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
Ha! I thought it was you that suggested it. No telling then.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 05:54:59 AM »
Ha! I thought it was you that suggested it. No telling then.

Hehe,....I might have and then forgot about it.

No matter how we got it here, it is now in the "Hints and Tips" post.  I should put the installer on our download server, just in case it disappears from its original home.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »
OK, this thread has now caused me a good deal of confusion.  Using the Autoruns program has identified several Nvidia services that make no sense to me, and seem totally unrelated to my GTX 970 video card.  Why do I have Nvidia drivers for RAID and SATA, given that my motherboard isn't Nvidia (ASUS P8z77-V) and isn't configured for RAID?

I blame all of you for my confusion, btw...

Mike

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
It is a stock driver that comes with the operating system provided by Microsoft. You do not want to delete it.

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
It is a stock driver that comes with the operating system provided by Microsoft. You do not want to delete it.

OK then, it stays.  Thanks.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 05:41:52 AM »
Typically, you want to leave drivers alone.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »

Heya Challenge,

is this Autoruns program any different than me using services.msc? or is it basically the same thing? just easier for most to use....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
The Nvidia telemetry entries in your registry will not show up as services. Every time you reinstall the video driver the telemetry will be reinstalled even if you uncheck "GeForce Experience" during the installation. Autoruns is the only way to remove them, unless you want to go into the registry yourself.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 05:25:42 PM »
Got it, thank you
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Great information here. My question is related to this topic I think. If not, mea culpa.

I am about to replace my video card (GeForce 1070 FE which I will install in another pc) with an MSI GeForce1080 ti in my gaming (AH3) pc.

Q: Is there anything else that may be different or should be done when upgrading a video card as opposed to just updating the driver?

Thanks...Bix.   

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 01:39:06 AM »
Replacing any product that uses other than generic Windows drivers requires uninstalling the previous drivers and replacing them with new ones.

That may sound odd considering that you're going to use the very same drivers for both the old and new card. The logic lies in how the driver assigns various functions depending on the model of the card.

Download DDU from https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ and run it in Safe Mode. There's an option for changing to a new card after the drivers have been uninstalled.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni