Author Topic: What are the fleet speeds  (Read 876 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
What are the fleet speeds
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
The trainers page for torpedoes indicates the speed of the fleet is "34.5 mph or 1000 yards/min."  But 34.5 mph is actually 1012 yards/min. 

Which number is correct, and is it the same for the battleships?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:00:55 PM by 8thJinx »

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: What are the fleet speeds
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:00:07 PM »
Also, if I launch a PT boat from a BB, and run along side it at match speed, the indicated speed on the PT's console is 35 mph.  Same with the CV.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »
Snailman, please report to aisle six!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
Lots of great info HERE

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »
Lots of great info HERE

Thank you for sharing that link, Fugitive....

Looks similar to a PDF file I once had, thinking it was created by the same player

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
Sit on the deck in a plane, look at your E6B, CV runs at 35mph true.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
Lots of great info HERE

This is great info.  I'm finally giving aerial torpedo bombing a whirl, in JU-88's.  But just an fyi, the overlay cues in that link for the JU-88 are wrong, because the gunsight is offset from center.  It's extremely easy to use the gunpits and structures on the medium airfield as a reference datum to get all of the angle marks inside the cockpit or F4 mode.  I took an overhead screenshot of the medium airfield from the TE, which showed the 1 mile grid.  Then in a photo editor I drew a triangle with the 36 degree angle, and then moved it around until I found a spot that I could park a JU-88 with the gunsight centered on an object, with another known object 36 degrees off to the left.  Then I found my cockpit and F4 cues for the left side attack run.  I did the same thing for 36 degrees right.  Keep in mind you have to write down your field of view, and how far you sit back and zoom level, so you can repeat it in flight.

The cue marks I came up with are different than what's shown in the link, I assume because of the gunsight is off center.  Also, our field of view is variable, so the link's cues probably only apply to the field of view the original author had. 

So I ended up with a jpeg of the JU-88 cockpit with my cue marks.  And I marked the upper frame of my monitor with the F4 mode cue marks.  It worked like a charm. 

My only issue now is that I tend to release really late in the run, and end up getting shot down.  I'm pretty sure I can use a stop watch to avoid that, though.  I haven't tried it yet.  Such as, follow the fleet from directly behind to get its course, turn right and fly at 200 mph for 62 seconds and turn back on heading (putting me 6xxx yards off the fleet's starboard side), then fly at 200 mph until the fleet is off my left wing, then fly so many seconds past it (keeping this stuff secret until I can master it :devil), then turning to the left for a broadside, and releasing at the 41 second mark with the ship lined up with my cue mark, which should put me 2000 yards away, giving me time to peel off.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:17:00 AM by 8thJinx »

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
My method works.  I can sink any ship and escape auto flak.  Manned 5 inch, however, is lethal.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 10:32:02 PM »
It used to be that the CV traveled one sector in an hour.  Each Sector is 25milesX25miles. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes