Author Topic: OBS users  (Read 3337 times)

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
OBS users
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
For those of you that record using OBS, what settings are you using that you have found to work best? I've tried quite a few different settings and sometimes while recording I start to experience some lag on my end, only while recording.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: OBS users
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Post your OBS log file to pastebin and link it here.  Most systems should be able to record easily with the right settings. 

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-studio-high-quality-recording-and-multiple-audio-tracks.221
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:43:26 PM by BowHTR »

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »
Its cut off before I can see the good stuff (the performance statistics).  OBS sometimes doesn't completely save the file until you exit the program, which you've probably done by now.  So try uploading that log again, and make sure to cut and paste the whole thing.

You should be able to run NVEnc encoding on High Performance or High Quality preset on that for sure, and record every frame with little-to-no performance impact.  You're downscaling 1440p to 1080p... do you want to record at 1440p?  Should be able to, but it takes up more hard drive space.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
Its cut off before I can see the good stuff (the performance statistics).  OBS sometimes doesn't completely save the file until you exit the program, which you've probably done by now.  So try uploading that log again, and make sure to cut and paste the whole thing.

You should be able to run NVEnc encoding on High Performance or High Quality preset on that for sure, and record every frame with little-to-no performance impact.  You're downscaling 1440p to 1080p... do you want to record at 1440p?  Should be able to, but it takes up more hard drive space.

I'll repost it later when I get back home.

I would record in 1440p, however, my internet speed is so slow (4Mbps down 1Mbps up) that it just isn't worth the extra file size when trying to upload it to share with others.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »
I broadcast at 1080 and have had people request I bump down to 720 because of THEIR internet especially if watching on a phone (better eyes than mine lol) or tablet. Will post mine when I get to the PC. OBS Studio is pretty cool.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
I broadcast at 1080 and have had people request I bump down to 720 because of THEIR internet especially if watching on a phone (better eyes than mine lol) or tablet. Will post mine when I get to the PC. OBS Studio is pretty cool.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yeah, anything higher than 1080p and the videos I watch will be buffering every 15 seconds.   :confused:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »
I'll repost it later when I get back home.

I would record in 1440p, however, my internet speed is so slow (4Mbps down 1Mbps up) that it just isn't worth the extra file size when trying to upload it to share with others.

Ahh well if you just upload the raw files, then that makes sense.  But if you do any editing afterwards, you can edit it at full size and shrink it down to 1080 in the last step before uploading.  That would maintain the most quality.
Boildown

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
Ahh well if you just upload the raw files, then that makes sense.  But if you do any editing afterwards, you can edit it at full size and shrink it down to 1080 in the last step before uploading.  That would maintain the most quality.

Hmm, didnt know that. I do edit it all after recording, but wasn't sure as the best method of maintaining as high a quality as possible with a smaller file size to help with a timely upload.

One of my most recent videos. I think the quality could've been a little better, but I may just be picky.

https://youtu.be/9jzLGCyiRMo

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:11:06 PM by BowHTR »

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »
That was an aw some video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »
It was a bit blurry, but I think that was just due to low bitrate on your final encode.  You can't just let the upload run overnight?

Another thing is that YouTube assigns better bitrate encodes if you upload at 1440p vs. 1080p.  So that's another trick to keep the quality in there.  How are you editing and encoding it by the way?
Boildown

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 06:49:24 AM »
That was an aw some video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks  :cheers:

It was a bit blurry, but I think that was just due to low bitrate on your final encode.  You can't just let the upload run overnight?

Another thing is that YouTube assigns better bitrate encodes if you upload at 1440p vs. 1080p.  So that's another trick to keep the quality in there.  How are you editing and encoding it by the way?

I could let it run overnight. I use Vegas Movie Studio for all my editing. Here is that full pastebin https://pastebin.com/eXQwX9gJ
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:52:59 AM by BowHTR »

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
Hmm, it doesn't show the part where it says your encoding settings and how many frames you encoded successfully vs unsuccessfully.  Try this:  Get in the air and find a dogfight, then start recording, play for about 5 minutes, then stop the recording.  When you're done flying, exit OBS. That will force it to save the entire log file.  Then post that log file.  That will make sure there's an encode in the log.  Basically I want to see this and the stuff just before it in the log.

That's great about Sony Vegas Movie Studio, because that's what I use too.  So here's my OBS > Vegas Movie Studio > Handbrake > YouTube workflow (starting at the Vegas part):

First, in Vegas, make sure to right-click every video clip and select Properties, and then Disable Resample.  By default Vegas assumes you're shooting video with an interlaced camcorder at low framerates and sets itself up to blur the frames in a bad attempt to make it look less interlaced.  But gaming video is always progressive scan so we don't need that, and it fact, it messes things up if left on.  I haven't found a way to make it default to off yet.

Now what I do is record out of Vegas as an Video for Windows AVI, Uncompressed.  The objective is to create an "intermediate file" which I use Handbrake to encode.  This is because Handbrake is much better at encoding video than Vegas is, but Vegas is a good editor.  I pick the AVI option that says "uncompressed", and then Customize Template, then make sure the Framerate and Frame Size is correct, make sure the Field Order is None (progressive), the Pixel Aspect ratio is 1.0, and the Video Format is Uncompressed, and Interleave is unchecked.  I also have the OpenDML (AVI version 2.0) checked, because the file it creates will be huge.  Under Audio, I do PCM Uncompressed and the Sample Rate the same as what you recorded at, 16 bit depth and Stereo.  Finally make sure the Video Rendering Quality is set to use the Best option.

This will make a huge file on your hard drive.  I recently made an eight minute long 1920x1080p30 video that resulted in a 110GB AVI file.  That's ok, Handbrake will shrink it down, and you can delete this "intermediate" file when you're done.

In Handbrake load the intermediate file you created with Vegas.  I use (Summary) MKV format, (Filters) turn off Deinterlacing, (Video) Set a constant framerate at whatever your source video is at, Video Codec is H.264 (x264) or H.264 10-bit (x264), for Encoder Preset I go overkill and use Placebo... this takes longer but I just let it run while I do something else.. Anything from Slow on down is basically just as good.  Encoder Tune: None, Profile is High or High10, Level is auto.  For Audio it by default picks AAC, but I change that to FLAC 16-bit and make sure to expand the dialog and make sure the Samplerate is the same as the input video.  I clear subtitles (there aren't any), and uncheck Chapter Markers (pointless).

The only thing I didn't tell you what to set is the Quality on the Video Tab.  I do Constant Quality and the slider is up to you.  Smaller numbers result in larger files, bigger numbers mean smaller files.  Don't go less than 10, there's no point.  I think greater than 30 you lose a ton of quality.  Its a tradeoff for how long you want to wait for it to upload to YouTube.  I personally do 10 and wait as long as necessary.  A more reasonable value is probably 15-20.  If you're going to give it to your friends instead of YouTube use something like 20-26 (and change the Audio codec to AAC and container to MP4).

Youtube will compress your file again, so I like to give it the best quality file I can, which I think this method achieves.  The audio will be the exact same, no step after OBS records it does any lossy compression on it.  The video gets lossy compressed by Handbrake, but at least it isn't done twice, and Handbrake does a better job of it than anything else.  The video is also lossy compressed by OBS, but we'll deal with that once I can see your OBS encoding settings in the logs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:48:21 AM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »
Great video BowHtr.  That was really nicely done, keep at it, I'll keep watching for sure.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
Hmm, it doesn't show the part where it says your encoding settings and how many frames you encoded successfully vs unsuccessfully.  Try this:  Get in the air and find a dogfight, then start recording, play for about 5 minutes, then stop the recording.  When you're done flying, exit OBS. That will force it to save the entire log file.  Then post that log file.  That will make sure there's an encode in the log.  Basically I want to see this and the stuff just before it in the log.

That's great about Sony Vegas Movie Studio, because that's what I use too.  So here's my OBS > Vegas Movie Studio > Handbrake > YouTube workflow (starting at the Vegas part):

First, in Vegas, make sure to right-click every video clip and select Properties, and then Disable Resample.  By default Vegas assumes you're shooting video with an interlaced camcorder at low framerates and sets itself up to blur the frames in a bad attempt to make it look less interlaced.  But gaming video is always progressive scan so we don't need that, and it fact, it messes things up if left on.  I haven't found a way to make it default to off yet.

Now what I do is record out of Vegas as an Video for Windows AVI, Uncompressed.  The objective is to create an "intermediate file" which I use Handbrake to encode.  This is because Handbrake is much better at encoding video than Vegas is, but Vegas is a good editor.  I pick the AVI option that says "uncompressed", and then Customize Template, then make sure the Framerate and Frame Size is correct, make sure the Field Order is None (progressive), the Pixel Aspect ratio is 1.0, and the Video Format is Uncompressed, and Interleave is unchecked.  I also have the OpenDML (AVI version 2.0) checked, because the file it creates will be huge.  Under Audio, I do PCM Uncompressed and the Sample Rate the same as what you recorded at, 16 bit depth and Stereo.  Finally make sure the Video Rendering Quality is set to use the Best option.

This will make a huge file on your hard drive.  I recently made an eight minute long 1920x1080p30 video that resulted in a 110GB AVI file.  That's ok, Handbrake will shrink it down, and you can delete this "intermediate" file when you're done.

In Handbrake load the intermediate file you created with Vegas.  I use (Summary) MKV format, (Filters) turn off Deinterlacing, (Video) Set a constant framerate at whatever your source video is at, Video Codec is H.264 (x264) or H.264 10-bit (x264), for Encoder Preset I go overkill and use Placebo... this takes longer but I just let it run while I do something else.. Anything from Slow on down is basically just as good.  Encoder Tune: None, Profile is High or High10, Level is auto.  For Audio it by default picks AAC, but I change that to FLAC 16-bit and make sure to expand the dialog and make sure the Samplerate is the same as the input video.  I clear subtitles (there aren't any), and uncheck Chapter Markers (pointless).

The only thing I didn't tell you what to set is the Quality on the Video Tab.  I do Constant Quality and the slider is up to you.  Smaller numbers result in larger files, bigger numbers mean smaller files.  Don't go less than 10, there's no point.  I think greater than 30 you lose a ton of quality.  Its a tradeoff for how long you want to wait for it to upload to YouTube.  I personally do 10 and wait as long as necessary.  A more reasonable value is probably 15-20.  If you're going to give it to your friends instead of YouTube use something like 20-26 (and change the Audio codec to AAC and container to MP4).

Youtube will compress your file again, so I like to give it the best quality file I can, which I think this method achieves.  The audio will be the exact same, no step after OBS records it does any lossy compression on it.  The video gets lossy compressed by Handbrake, but at least it isn't done twice, and Handbrake does a better job of it than anything else.  The video is also lossy compressed by OBS, but we'll deal with that once I can see your OBS encoding settings in the logs.

Ok, thanks for all the info here. I'll give it a run and post the pastebin in the morning. Will any of those audio settings have any impact on recording multiple audio tracks? I normally have separate tracks; gameplay, TS/Discord, and my mic.

Great video BowHtr.  That was really nicely done, keep at it, I'll keep watching for sure.

Thanks Gman! Glad you enjoyed it!  :cheers: