Author Topic: Lt. Karl K. Dittmer - P-51D "Dopey Okie" (HO*I) - 352nd FG, 487th FS - AH3  (Read 3629 times)

Offline RADMH

• Zinc Member
Re: Lt. Karl K. Dittmer - P-51D "Dopey Okie" (HO*I) - 352nd FG, 487th FS - AH3
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2021, 10:50:29 PM »
Alright this is a little crazy to me, Karl Dittmer was my grandfather. I was looking around online and came across this page. I made an account to tell you that this is something super cool to me and to thank you for memorializing my grandfather in some way.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 02:53:32 AM »
Alright this is a little crazy to me, Karl Dittmer was my grandfather. I was looking around online and came across this page. I made an account to tell you that this is something super cool to me and to thank you for memorializing my grandfather in some way.

Our pleasure to honour him.  :salute

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 08:10:33 AM »
Our pleasure to honour him.  :salute

I second that.

Rad, your grandfather had an amazing career.  A true hero.  I enjoyed learning about him while doing the research on his skin.   There is a gentleman out there who did a profile of Col. Dittmer's Mustang.    You may be interested in purchasing one for yourself. 

https://fstudiosweb.com/p-51d-mustang-dopey-okie-487-fs-meyers-maulers-fine-art-aviation-profile-prints

Click to Enlarge

I will be updating this skin to make it look better.  In the meantime the skin page, with some photos of your grandfather, and more details about his career, is here:

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/skins/index.php?skobj=p51d&display=P51D2022508&skinname=352FG/487FS%20by%20Vraciu

I'll message you when the skin is updated again.

In my original post I did not include his post-World War Two career.    Here it is. 

Post WWII career highlights:

Capt Dittmer left active duty and joined the Air Force Reserve on October 9, 1945 and was recalled to active duty with the Air Force on March 10, 1951.

B-29 Superfortress pilot with the 24th Bomb Squadron of the 6th Bomb Wing at Walker AFB, New Mexico - March to December 1951.

F-51 Mustang pilot with the 39th Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the 18th Fighter Bomber Group in Korea - December 1951 to May 1952.

Capt Dittmer transferred to the F-86-equppied 335th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, 4th Fighter Interceptor Group - May 1952 to December 1952. Credited with 3 MIG-15 fighters destroyed in aerial combat, plus 5 more damaged, for a total of 4 destroyed and 5 damaged in two wars.

F-86 pilot with the 417th Fighter Bomber Squadron at Clovis AFB, New Mexico - December 1952 to May 1953.

Staff of the 37th Fighter Bomber Group at Clovis - May to August 1953.

Major Dittmer served as an F-86 pilot with the 389th Fighter Bomber Squadron at Alexandria AFB, Louisiana, from August 1953 to January 1954.

Lt. Colonel Dittmer deployed to Southeast Asia in February 1966 where he served as an O-1 Bird Dog pilot and Tactical Air Liaison Officer with the 505th Tactical Control Group at Tan Son Nhut AB, South Vietnam - February to April 1966.

22nd Tactical Air Support Squadron at Can Tho AB, South Vietnam - April 1966 to February 1967.

Retired from the Air Force - October 1, 1969.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:21:39 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member

Just a quick update on the progress with your grandfather's airplane.  I think you will agree it is a lot better with the new metal!    I'm still trying to nail down the blue but I'll probably put this in as an update and tweak it more later.

NEW:

OLD:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:01:48 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Looking good.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks.  More tweaks for RADMH to see (low resolution though, sorry):

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 08:28:58 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Can I get some feedback on this shade of blue?    The nose art panel is from a different (earlier?) shade.  What should I aim for here?

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
I think the blue looks great as it is.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
It looks fine but maybe it could be a touch more saturated than it is currently.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Okay.  I'll try that.  Do I simply increase saturation with the tool the same way I desaturated it?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
(Deleted Post.  See Below.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:24:09 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Is this closer to it?

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
That looks good to me and yes you can use the same tool to saturate a colour as you use to desaturate one.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
That looks good to me and yes you can use the same tool to saturate a colour as you use to desaturate one.

Thank you, sir.   :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned