Author Topic: VKB/Virpil/TM/CH comparison video  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
VKB/Virpil/TM/CH comparison video
« on: May 05, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
Did a quick video last night on the VKB/Virpil/TM/CH sticks/hotas.  I'm not a Youtuber, only have 1 DSLR and the missus has it at our other place.  I'm going to buy a better DSLR/Mirrorless Youtuber type camera and mount, get some cheap lighting, and break down the gimbals of the new sticks and the new Virpil WarBrd once it's out next month, and put up videos of that then.  Also do some larger round ups on all the other hotas and pedals I've got.  Until then, the lowest quality and unprofessional YT gaming video ever, below for you to enjoy.  Hopefully it answers a few of the questions about these sticks from other threads here.

Also, regarding the ability to rotate the stick for user pref/comfort (like a twist stick with the ability to lock it in a position that isn't the typical forward facing center), I realize that the direction that VKB uses for their sticks is more geared for users putting the stick in the center, as opposed to a right hand side position.  Users doing that would likely be ok and even prefer the direction that VKB allows you to move their stick (counter clockwise about 15 degrees), when either mounting the VKB stick in the middle of a cockpit, or putting it in the center of the desk. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGMo5SntuQ

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:13:45 PM by Gman »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: VKB/Virpil/TM/CH comparison video
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
No biggie about the vid quality watching from my phone! You covered the basic info just fine. I'll be looking for your follow ups.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »
Thanks for the info. Still undecided but leaning towards VKB. Fear that they’ve grown faster then they can handle. Hopefully quality control doesn’t suffer.
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 05:03:16 PM »
Ya Drano, another guy on another forum pointed out that due to bandwidth caps/etc it wasn't a bad thing to have the quality limit lower.  I'll upload both 1080p/60fps and a lower quality version in the future I think.

68Falcon - not an unreasonable position at all to hold.  IMO I do think that both Virpil and VKB will have increases in QC thanks to being under one roof, and not having to farm out their manufacturing to Asia (that's what I understand both are doing at least, moving production, assembly, test, and shipping/etc all under one building/roof).  I've been really impressed with all their stuff, I bought a set of VKB pedals based on WpnX's recommendation and explanation of them, Mk3 pedals a couple/few years back now, and they've been bullet proof. 

All 3 VKB sticks, well, 2 units and one base without a stick until the new (old) MCG Pro sticks and adapters come out for the Mk1 GF bases, have been excellent so far as quality goes.  Virpil, same thing with both T50s and their desk clamp/mounts, reallly excellent quality and attention to detail, even the places where they had to use very tiny zips to secure circuit boards to the gimbals/etc, were clipped and then sanded down to be flush and very pro looking.  I've been so impressed with both companies, it's difficult to pick one over the other.

Keep an eye out for used stuff too - I found a Mk1 VKB base that was literally brand new, still in the plastic, for about $170 USD after shipping, exactly 1/2 price of new.  Find a similar unit, add a TM stick, boom.  Their new stuff is still worth the $, you guys in the USA have fewer shipping/import/tax BS to worry about than I do as well, which will make the cost lower than what I've been paying too.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
Ya Drano, another guy on another forum pointed out that due to bandwidth caps/etc it wasn't a bad thing to have the quality limit lower.  I'll upload both 1080p/60fps and a lower quality version in the future I think.

68Falcon - not an unreasonable position at all to hold.  IMO I do think that both Virpil and VKB will have increases in QC thanks to being under one roof, and not having to farm out their manufacturing to Asia (that's what I understand both are doing at least, moving production, assembly, test, and shipping/etc all under one building/roof).  I've been really impressed with all their stuff, I bought a set of VKB pedals based on WpnX's recommendation and explanation of them, Mk3 pedals a couple/few years back now, and they've been bullet proof.  So, when I say "increase" in QC, I really mean just long term quality of what currently exists will happen IMO, I have 0 complaints on quality. I know there have been little issues here and there from what I read online in all the forums, mostly flip down trigger problems, but others too- they'll stamp that out I think, or at least be able to offer replacements rapidly with their new buildings and operations from them.

All 3 VKB sticks, well, 2 units and one base without a stick until the new (old) MCG Pro sticks and adapters come out for the Mk1 GF bases, have been excellent so far as quality goes.  Virpil, same thing with both T50s and their desk clamp/mounts, reallly excellent quality and attention to detail, even the places where they had to use very tiny zips to secure circuit boards to the gimbals/etc, were clipped and then sanded down to be flush and very pro looking.  I've been so impressed with both companies, it's difficult to pick one over the other.

Keep an eye out for used stuff too - I found a Mk1 VKB base that was literally brand new, still in the plastic, for about $170 USD after shipping, exactly 1/2 price of new.  Find a similar unit, add a TM stick, boom.  Their new stuff is still worth the $, you guys in the USA have fewer shipping/import/tax BS to worry about than I do as well, which will make the cost lower than what I've been paying too.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »
What can be done to extend the life of Warthog joysticks? My favorite setup is the MaxFighterExtreme-2017 with the analog toe brakes, but it uses that Warthog for Cyclic and Throttle, which has my worried.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
There are various things other than just regreasing with a better product.  Custom rings/etc are pretty common. (PTFE Oring etc).

This vid is a good start, there are others out there, I'll have to get on another PC and find my links for all of the TM WH stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS3t77k0M3I

I wouldn't worry too much Chalenge, with proper preventative or even post failure maintanence/grease, buying an inexpensive PTFE/Teflon o ring, and a couple other easy and inexpensive things, MOST Warthogs will last a really long time.  As I said in the video, I have 4 sticks and 3 throttles, and even though 3 of the sticks have had failures, none of them are fit to be thrown away, all work very well, even better than factory IMO now, and one I bought the week they came out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:37:01 PM by Gman »

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 05:43:46 AM »
Will a TM Cougar stick work with a VKB base?
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »
From what I've read on their website, especially last year, the answer is yes Falcon, but as their adapters for TM sticks are backordered for another few weeks, I can't say for sure.  I have 2 of the Mk2 bases and a Mk1 I found on ebay for $170 USD after shipping.  Once they fill my adapter, I'll try it and confirm.

I'm going to do a better set of videos, got the hardware for vid/audio/lighting ordered, and will do a full break down of the gimbals in the VKB/Virpil bases, and probably a TM WH and Cougar too, just to compare.  Also will review the different custom pedals we have (VKB/MFG/Slaw) and compare them to the CH and Saitek/Logitech stuff.

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
 Looking forward to reviews  :aok
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »
Hail to the stick Guru
 :salute :old: :salute
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
Hail to the stick Guru

That honorific goes to AkAk, easily, I may have more units, but he's forgotten more about sim info, including hardware, than I'll probably know.  I know he got the VKB pedals and IIRC was considering the VKB stick, it'll be real interesting to hear his opinion/etc on it and how it compared to others, including CH where he worked before the owner (unfortunately) sold it.