Author Topic: Spectrum Internet opinions?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Spectrum Internet opinions?
« on: May 26, 2018, 03:24:53 PM »
My Frontier DSL is limited to 7mb with no FIOS in sight.

My alternative is Spectrum.  Is their service satisfactory for AH?

Thanks for any tips.
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Spectrum Internet opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
I have had it here at this house for around 8 years. Absolutely no issues for speed/lag/ping, etc

Without getting way too technical over things, if you go that route and you choose to supply your own router, make sure it is gigabit rated for ethernet and wifi. For the speed packages they offer in your area, the speed advertised is the speed you would get over ethernet. Nothing is guaranteed over wifi

And make sure anything ethernet is gigabit rated also. I can go into a ton more detail/logic from what I see on service calls for slow speeds

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
I just switched to Spectrum from Frontier DSL (used to be Verizon) in January 2018.  The DSL connection averaged 7 to 9 mbps with slow downs to 2 mps (lasting several days) at least once a year.  This required a tech to come out and adjust their setting at the switching station.  The service  was always a headache, because they are required to come to the house first despite there never having been a problem at the house.

Spectrum has been rock steady at 114 mbps and I am really kicking myself for sticking with Frontier for as long as I did.  It actually is just a few dollars cheaper for me and I get a speed improvement of 10X.

Hope this helps

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »
Have had charter/Spectrum for almost 20 years. My sons where hoping we'd switch to FIOS just for the extra band width.... never needed it. 3 computers full time, a couple laptops on and off, and 3 gaming systems, not to mention streaming on the TV. Solid and steady all the time. Had to replace the modem twice in all that time and had not trouble with the service in setting them up.

Remember, connection for the game not only relies on you service provider (Spectrum) but also your location and the route your signal takes to HTC. Im in New England and have rarely had a connection issue to HTC.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:43:57 AM »
I also have Spectrum and it works Great.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 06:03:48 AM »
Our cabling here is above ground and the only service issues we have had occurs when there is a thunderstorm.  We lose service for about 24 hours each time one of those storms hits.

When it is working, it works well.  Outages seem slow to be cured.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the reviews and heads up.

I forgot to ask about phone service. Preference for or against cable for telephone? 

CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 01:38:01 AM »
Gooss, it all works great... the main thing I would recommend is read and watch your monthly bill religiously

reason I say that, I had Time warner cable ( Spectrum ) and my bill would gradually climb from having cable TV, internet, phone for $107.00 a month upwards of $386+ a month

I had to get down right rude and really angry with a top tier supervisor to reimburse me 3 separate times since I moved back to NC in 2009.... the owed back over charges were well over $1,100 each

Spectrum ( TWC ) is a great service, but they will take advantage of you if you don't stay on top of them

just a heads up  ( PS- I never had Spectrum, even when they changed to spectrum, I was still on Time Warner cable )

Hope this Helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 04:13:26 AM »
Thanks for the reviews and heads up.

I forgot to ask about phone service. Preference for or against cable for telephone?

I don't use Spectrum.  I have Comcast but...  at one point I bundled my TV, Internet and cable with them.  Guess what.  If cable service went out I had no contact with the outside world.  I dropped the voice service and got a smart phone on another network and now if one network drops out (Comcast seems to go down weekly for hours at a time where I live) I still have two of three services available (and even three with video on demand to compensate for TV or a Skype type service to substitute for voice).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:17:02 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »
Thanks again for the responses.  My wife is questioning the need to switch TV from DirecTV.  That may not be a fight I want to enter.  I may start with Internet and add services down the road.  I hate missing out on introductory package deals. 

CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »
Spectrum is miles above both DirecTV and Dish Network and a lot cheaper

Edit: the only thing I know for sure that beats all 3 above for TV is our 10ft C-band/KU-band Sat dish with a HD4TV tuner with mpeg2 sidecart and digital signal box......even with 24+ inches of snow on it the signal is crystal clear and can pick up all the different types of satellites
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:18:01 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:39:47 AM »
Yes Gooss. What TC said is true. Watch your bill every month and see if there are any price jumps. I had to call them a couple times and correct a few things with them and they reimbursed me credit for my upcoming bills. Now I pay less and I get more channels than when I was paying a higher amount. I guess all providers do the same thing. You need to keep updates on things or they take advantage. But overall  Spectrum is great!
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 12:37:15 PM »
Thanks again for the responses.  My wife is questioning the need to switch TV from DirecTV.  That may not be a fight I want to enter.  I may start with Internet and add services down the road.  I hate missing out on introductory package deals. 

You'd probably get a good deal on internet+tv to start, but you could also try it for a month and see how you like it, and afterwards drop the TV. I have always had good luck with Spectrum/TWC. As mentioned though, do watch your bill.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
We cut the cable long ago on television. We have FireTV, which uses DirecTV Now and allows you to install apps to get other channels that may not be allowed in your area. For instance, I installed an app for ABC New York to watch the Indy 500, and CBS All Access to allow the wife to watch her shows. Many networks now have their own apps, but the cable companies have existing contracts that force stations like ABC to block streaming in some areas, unless you have a pay-for-television account. Something even cheaper might be Hulu, or YouTube TV if available. Either way, you need to have the fastest Internet you can get, because the more people (including neighbors) that use streaming the slower and more buffering you will see.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 08:59:19 PM »
Spectrum is miles above both DirecTV and Dish Network and a lot cheaper

Edit: the only thing I know for sure that beats all 3 above for TV is our 10ft C-band/KU-band Sat dish with a HD4TV tuner with mpeg2 sidecart and digital signal box......even with 24+ inches of snow on it the signal is crystal clear and can pick up all the different types of satellites

What type/model receiver you have? I have a 7 1/2ft winegard that I still use alongside a 36" ku band dish for wildfeeds, backhauls, and live feeds when storm chasters are out and about
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women