Author Topic: New terrain crash report  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
New terrain crash report
« on: May 28, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »
I have been testing my new MA terrain "Bearpit" but have been getting some crashes doing it. This terrain uses the new road, rail and river system, which may have something to do with it.
The terrain files have been uploaded to the server and can be accessed online using the arena "Bearpit Test".

The first of the attached dump files happened during offline testing while close to a bridge over a river, both of these were visual only routes. The game just froze and I had to ctrl-alt-delete to exit.

The other three were after I had spent an hour or so online in the terrain with no problem. I exited the arena and immediately re-entered it without exiting the game. The game loaded the arena, I was taken to field A1 (Knights), transferred to A3 (Bishops) and then immediately CTD'd. The next two dumps were the same thing. I tried exiting the game, using both DX9 and 11, entering an offline arena with no problem and then online again but with the same CTD.

During my testing I have discovered a couple of things about bridge objects, specifically the "bridge1b" object, which is all I have used in my terrain and all examples of which are all set to "barrier". I am not sure if these are bugs or are just a limitation of how these objects are implemented in the game.

Trying to drive or fly through the arches of the bridge does not work. In a plane it is an instant death and an LVT gets stuck half way.

If you are on one bridge and shoot at another bridge the explosion appears in mid-air well above the bridge and your aiming point. From anywhere else you can shoot at a bridge and the explosion appears where it should do. If this is a limitation rather than a bug I will just block the line of sight with a hill where I have bridges close together.

Another thing I noticed was that occasionally a GV crossing over a road will get stopped by it as if it had hit a tree. Not sure what is causing this yet though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:57:29 AM by Greebo »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: New terrain crash report
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
Bearpit loaded into a custom arena ok and I used CMEye to check it out.
I exited normally without incident.
Then when I re-entered without quitting to the desktop, AH locked up. I had to do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to regain control.

The weird part is that I could not reproduce this again over four or five tries.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:01:18 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:25:31 PM »
I've been getting lockups on various testing terrains in the same manner with some kind of path installed with patch 13. I'm about to start installing convoy roads and tracks for resupply on my current terrain. I've been avoiding doing it becasue of these problems.

Greebo, what color values and alpha slider setting are you using with your rivers to get a blend into the ocean color? The two layers are just enough different that it's an exercise getting close.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »
For my rivers I have got the alpha slider about 90% to the right and the river colour set at 160/160/160. I am also using a bridge to disguise the join between the ocean and the river.

I may change the CBM colour of the bridge icons to yellow to make them show up better.

Thanks for the attempt Easyscor, hopefully that will assist HT in finding the problem. Bustr if you are getting the same problem with no roads perhaps they are not the issue after all. I guess I could upload an old pre-roads version of Bearpit and see if it is any more stable.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:49:59 PM by Greebo »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
One test terrain has roads, rivers, tracks. The other only rivers. One CTD was in the terrain editor. For that one all I did was a create all to see if flak bases received a road versus airfields. Once they were generated to all the airfields on the terrain, I inspected what I was looking for and started deleting the three roads that generated for three airfields. I never did a save after generating the roads. When I had completed deleting the roads I started to select the flak base I had placed on the terrain for that test. The moment I pulled the select across the flack base object, the editor closed with an ahedit.exe error.

I attached the DMP file from that.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 01:36:44 AM »
Thanks Bustr, we are all guessing at this point. All we can do is give HT as much info as possible to track down the problem.

For what its worth I recreated my test arena this morning and logged in and out of it five times without a crash.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »
All greebos crashes are related to the same thing. There is a bug in adding and removing terrain objects dynamically.

This shows up most often when a train with a gun on it is in view range.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »
Great that you have found the bug HT.

Your mentioning of the train has made me think of something else that may be a bug. There are a few places on my map where a player can shoot at trains across a wide river with a GV. So I spent 10 minutes doing this during yesterday's testing and was able to hit the train repeatedly. The possible bug is that the train was from the same country as my tank but I was still able to blow up the rolling stock.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »
I should stop being hesitant to lay out my roads and tracks now becasue of possible issues?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
Great that you have found the bug HT.

Your mentioning of the train has made me think of something else that may be a bug. There are a few places on my map where a player can shoot at trains across a wide river with a GV. So I spent 10 minutes doing this during yesterday's testing and was able to hit the train repeatedly. The possible bug is that the train was from the same country as my tank but I was still able to blow up the rolling stock.

Was protect objects turned on?

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 02:50:51 AM »
HT I didn't change any arena settings from default. I assumed that as I was testing online the default settings would be the same as in the MA. Where is the protect objects setting? I just had a look through the game menus and could not find it.

Bustr, I stopped working on roads for a while because of the bug that stopped the convoys running. Then I figured that all we are doing is placing waypoints for the roads and its not likely a bug in the roads system would cause us to have to redo that. Also having a terrain with roads laid out would probably make finding bugs easier. So I routed all the roads on my terrain, although I'll probably edit them a bit more carefully after some testing.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 06:51:51 AM »
In ArenaFlags

Options, Arena Setup, Environment, Arena Settings, ArenaFlags

The Protect Objects checkbox
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »
Fixed the train CTD bug yesterday, it was a major PITA to find.Had it duplicated very quickly (I run at 400 times real time to test) Spent about 7 hours hunting it down.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
Thank you Hitech. I've started my road system to run convoys.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 01:33:29 AM »
Thanks Easyscor. The protect objects box does have an X in it.