Author Topic: D-Day 2018  (Read 407 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
D-Day 2018
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »
I didn't see a mention on any of the local news or national for that matter, perhaps I missed it.  I was lucky in that my Mother and Father joined my wife and I on a European vacation in the early 80's, we traveled to England and the small town on the outskirts of London, like so many others where my Dad and  our  army prepared, trained and waited for that Longest Day.  We traveled to France and journeyed to the coast and walked the beaches of Normandy.  When you stand there at the waters edge on Omaha Beach looking up that slight rise to the roadways, you see the few remaining bunkers and machine gun emplacements, knowing that on June 6th 44, there were hundreds more.  He retraced his steps from that morning, we did it may be 20 minutes.   On D-Day it took him almost 5 hours just to cross that same beach, His company, a rifle company, 150 men strong at the start, only 12 remained at the end of that day.   I came away from that vacation with a much better understanding of my Father and his demons.  They truly were the Greatest Generation.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: D-Day 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »
I came away from that vacation with a much better understanding of my Father and his demons.  They truly were the Greatest Generation.

You didn't do so bad yourself.

- oldman

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
I didn't see a mention on any of the local news or national for that matter, perhaps I missed it.  I was lucky in that my Mother and Father joined my wife and I on a European vacation in the early 80's, we traveled to England and the small town on the outskirts of London, like so many others where my Dad and  our  army prepared, trained and waited for that Longest Day.  We traveled to France and journeyed to the coast and walked the beaches of Normandy.  When you stand there at the waters edge on Omaha Beach looking up that slight rise to the roadways, you see the few remaining bunkers and machine gun emplacements, knowing that on June 6th 44, there were hundreds more.  He retraced his steps from that morning, we did it may be 20 minutes.   On D-Day it took him almost 5 hours just to cross that same beach, His company, a rifle company, 150 men strong at the start, only 12 remained at the end of that day.   I came away from that vacation with a much better understanding of my Father and his demons.  They truly were the Greatest Generation.

AHC and Smithsonian ran specials all day. I posted an Ike quote on Facebook if that counts lol.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 02:56:04 AM »
 :salute
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."