Author Topic: Communication - Contact Reports  (Read 796 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Communication - Contact Reports
« on: January 05, 2002, 03:11:00 PM »
We don't have RADAR of any sort in TOD.
So communication is critical.

If you see bandits you need to report on country channel:

MAP COORDINATES
NUMBER OF ENEMY
ALTITUDE
TYPE OF AIRCRAFT

So many times in TOD I have seen whole units wiped out without giving a single report of this type.  I can understand being too busy to do it while fighting, but once you are shot down there is no excuse for not giving a detailed report on Channel 2.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2002, 04:10:00 PM »
Yup, happens a lot.  Don't forget as well:

If you ask for information (ie. Location of a squad etc) READ THE TEXT BUFFER.

Information has to be repeated several times because the person requesting does not watch the text buffer...  This is time consuming and distracting for all.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2002, 12:52:00 AM »
Heck if I were a CO (and y'all better thank God I'm not -- ask me about my CO record some time), I'd require every unit to post a report of location _at least_ at every status change.
Status change =
Rolling
At cruise alt
Attacking ground target
Engaged Offensive/Defensive
RTB (and RTB field)
Refueling/Rearming
Shot down

This is what channel 2 is for.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2002, 11:29:00 PM »
Dinger, if I had asked for all that info on Friday I would have had a neural melt down...  I think clear contact reports like Funked described are best.  If a squad is following the mission plan then the side CO shouldn't have to get more info than occasional position reports and sighting information when engaging the enemy.  That way the CO is not overloaded with information.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2002, 01:06:00 AM »
The idea is that no one person needs to keep track of all that, and certainly not at all times.  The main idea is that those squads not directly engaged can keep track of nearby friendlies, and coordinate defense, attack, escape and the like without having to wait for direction from the CO.
Here's what happened to us last frame:
A. We came in to target, unsure of our assigns because the group ahead of us hadn't reported.
B. On egress, we selected an RTB field and started going that way.  We got a contact report (minus altitude) from a squad near that field.
C. We spotted dots enroute, and repeatedly requested ident. on channel 2.  We had to send two ships at mil power to investigate.  As luck would have it, the fuel those two ships burned probably made the difference between survival and death.
D. The squadron at the field got eliminated, and failed to report this and the status of the cons (6-8 on the deck, very near the airfield).  We came in over clouds and spotted 6-8 cons, and assumed they were the contacts.
E. We got wiped out and didn't bother telling anybody.

Hell, if you're engaged, you ignore meaningless reports.  The brain is designed to filter rapidly out all kinds of information.
Position updates aren't always for the CO.
Hell, I've often been on scenarios where one person is designated flight leader, and leads, and one is the radio/nav officer, reports position on regular intervals, and monitors the position of other units.  It's not rocket science.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Dinger ]