Author Topic: Question for CM's - Side Balancing  (Read 2251 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Question for CM's - Side Balancing
« on: December 01, 2001, 12:09:00 AM »
Obviously there is a numbers imbalance so far in Clearing the Philippines.  I am wondering what is the cause of this imbalance?

1.  Is Clearing the Philippines designed to have a large numerical advantage for the Allies?

2.  Are Allied squads exceeding their registered quotas?

3.  Are Axis squads not meeting their registered quotas?

I think the morale of the Japanese pilots has been strong enough to weather the storm but it's obviously not an ideal situation.  Is it 1, 2, or 3, or some combination of these factors causing the imbalance?  Depending on this answer, can we do anything to prevent it from happening in the future?

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2001, 12:20:00 AM »
I think its the fact that allied squad are hitting their max register quotas. While the squads flying for the IJN have been turning out much smaller numbers.

I did an analysis of this over the last four frames (not counting tonight). You will note the average attendence over the last four frames and the max number denotes the max players the squad has ever put up for one frame.

The allied squads for this TOD definitely have a better track history of putting out pilots. MAG-33 I think put up 15, Nightmares put up 16, Rogue I think put up 4, 412th put up 8 I believe, and I know Arabian and Assassins put up around 8+ each. And I think 332nd mongrels put up 8 each. No idea what 416th put up.

Then again I have been nagging the COs of these squads for something like 3 weeks now to work on turning out their max amount of pilots.

JAPANESE
  AVG   MAX  SQUAD         FRAME ATTENDENCES  
 3.25 /  4 = 13th TAS      - 3 -  4 -  4 -  2
 6.00 /  6 = 308th RAF     - 6 -N/A -N/A -N/A
 6.75 /  8 = 332nd Vikings - 6 -  8 -  7 -  6
12.50 / 17 = 56th FG       - 7 - 17 - 13 - 13
 6.25 /  9 = FDBs         - 6 -  7 -  3 -  9
 6.50 /  8 = JV44         - 6 -  8 -  7 -  5
 7.50 /  9 = SBM          - 6 -  7 -  9 -  8
 5.00 /  5 = JG2          - 5 -N/A -N/A -N/A

Average = 53.75
Max     = 66

USN
  AVG   MAX  SQUAD         FRAME ATTENDENCES  
10.00 / 15 = Nightmares    - 15 -  9 -  6 - N/A
 6.00 /  6 = 332nd Mongrels -  9 -  9 - 10 -  9  
 6.75 /  8 = 412th          -  8 -  9 -  6 -  7
12.50 / 17 = Arabian       - 11 - 13 - 14 - 15
 6.25 /  9 = Rogue         -  3 -  4 -  2 -  4
 6.50 /  8 = 416th         -  2 -  4 -  6 -  5
 7.50 /  9 = Assassins     -  7 -  9 -  8 -  8
 7.50 /  9 = MAG-33        -  9 -  8 -  9 - 10
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2001, 12:23:00 AM »
Probably the best thing to do is to add this frames turnout and next frames turnout to the stats I compiled and take a look at what each squad averages on putting up pilots over the last 6 frames.

And then making sure some of the big squads are shifted about to balance things out.

Without adding in this frames turnout you have the Nightmares VMF-101, Arabian Knights, and 56th FG turning out the most pilots on a consistent basis.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ~Pyroman~

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2001, 06:00:00 AM »
Hey GhstDncr you mean "WE" don't you   :D

"sigh" sorry I couldn't make it guys!  Sounds like you all had alot of fun! <S>

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2001, 10:18:00 AM »
Funked...when I picked sides for this TOD I went off of the registered suads and their PAST numbers.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to check to see how many pilots you have registered and update them at least every TOD.

I had the 8th Armored on the Axi side and they were registered for 15 pilots.  Unfortunately the squad C.O. wasn't understanding the amount of commitment it takes and we dropped them.  Right off the bat the Axis are down 10 - 15 from the Allied.

We did add JG2 and Blue Thunder to the Axis to try and help the balance.  I can only asume that several Axis squads flew shorthanded last night and there was a lack of guest pilots.  

I will check the logs and look at attendance to see if that sheds some light on the issue.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
Thx guys, looks like it's just "tolerance stacking" as GhostDancer describes, and the effect of losing 8th Armored.  I think it falls under the category of "shit happens".  Carry on.   :)

PS Nice analysis GhostDancer.   :)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »
The 8th hurt for sure. You might be surprised how many squad sign up and then don't respond to my e-mails so they never get added. It is a screening process to add the squads that are more serious and have a solid understanding of the TOD. Even after that process we still have problems, (the 8th for example).

In TOD 2 the Mongrels switched sides to balance that TOD after the same thing happened. It is possible to do that again, but not something I like to ask of squads.

I have two other squads that could be added this week to the IJN side, but only time will tell. Just depends on the C.O. and if they reply to my e-mails.

In time I am confident we will have the same kind of committed squads the S3's enjoy, but it will take some time to filter out those less serious.

<S>
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by daddog:

I have two other squads that could be added this week to the IJN side, but only time will tell. Just depends on the C.O. and if they reply to my e-mails.

<S>

I am the IJN sucker...I mean IJN CO next frame :) Please send the 2 squads and threaten them with deleted accounts if they do not show....
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline DES

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
I would have been interested in being a guest for the axis side had I known you were short  :( I have no carrier experience and short AH experience but I make a good target :) If I can make it this Friday how early in the evening would i have to let someone know? Could I just show up in the SEA 1/2 hour before the event and sign up?

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
Des go here:  http://events.simladder.com/tod_guests.php

Axis squads are:
13th TAS
308th RAF
332nd Vikings
56th FG
FDBs
JV44
SBM
JG2

The sooner you sign up, the better.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Ammo,

I am waiting to hear from

kratzer - Luftjagerkorps 4-6 pilots
robes - 1/4 Gav Esquadrau 11-15 pilots
drill - 457th BG 7-10 pilots
joecrip - 51 Molders 4-6 pilots

Those certaily would help the IJN for frame 6.  ;) Kratzer and drill will be good for this Friday I am sure. Not heard from the others.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
RGR DD, I am gonna have to lower my numbers (committed) for the 56th. I am having a hard time getting guys to show up myself. I hope that those new guys contacft you soon.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2001, 08:06:00 PM »
Will go post in the 13th BBS next and try to whip up a little enthusiasm for the next frame.

It's fun, even when outnumbered. Be more fun if about 6-8 TAS were around to "welcome" our uninvited USN guests instead of just the 3 of us. <EG>

I'll go try to embarass a few into showing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2001, 09:03:00 PM »
onething I contact my guys (guest and members) when i recieve the orders once I find out exactly how many guys will be there
I then spend the rest of the week posting and punting fer guests till I get some answers. I will say this though the majority of guest that have flown with jv44 have went back and got their squad signed up.

I'm sure this is caused by the fun they've had but it could be that flying with jv44 has left a bad taste in their mouths and they cant stomach 1 more frame as a guest with us,,,,,,dunno

but if you keep looking folks eventually request guest status.

When tod 1st started we on the axis side had a lot of problems with folks showing up then. I believe in the second frame I had only 9 pilots to cover 100 miles of the french.

I have a feeling tho that when a euro friendly tod starts we will lose even more on the friday tod. I have 3 euro guys that fly with us and they have made every frame but would most likely decide to participate in the "euro" tod and I cant blame umm.......

oh well I'll find replacements.......

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
What would be beneficial to ALL involved is to have some sort of point modifier if the balanc sways more than, say 10%, then the modifier add's 10% increments to the under-handed side.

Food for thought, I feel Funks pain.

MAG-33 had about 7-10 for last frame, and this frame we've had consistent 12-15.