Author Topic: Smoothing river  (Read 628 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Smoothing river
« on: June 28, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
Im trying to smooth out my rivers and lakes but keep running into a problem where either the beach tool wont pick up the water or it adds a random island spine

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hzeJnYM1sgTFg70nW1KDUntrtkD4Sve-/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Us9ZUAV-0JBxG1JfI6cJxJUv8XLHMSPZ/view?usp=sharing

Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Smoothing river
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 06:27:40 AM »
I kept meaning to post an image like that in the bug forum but as I do all my shorelines by hand, I kept forgetting to do it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:57:54 AM »
Is there a way to smooth the shorelines with just the brush without having to use the beach tool?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:53:43 AM »
Yes, set the raise hill to 1 and the smoothing tool to 1, even the smooth catmul will work shores very gently.

Then use a brush about the diameter of 2 polygons or 3 miles and quickly work the leading edge in swift strokes if it is an ocean shoreline where you have a lot of lee way to be creative. Just work the raise hill with build up or cut down until you get what you want. Sometimes the smoothing tool depending on the polymesh bias your river runs at gives better results. You can spot work it by reducing the brush to the minimum diameter, get down to nose level and slow work one tiny spot at a time. It will drive you nutz...... 

The beach tool does more damage than good if you are trying to keep to a theme. I've had three MA terrains to learn how to dislike that tool's results. Or you can do an illusion for rivers by setting the elevation tool to 1ft, brush in your river course, then use the path tool to lay down a river. I have 28 of those in my new terrain with bridges and roads everywhere.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.