Author Topic: Carrying capacity of the Earth  (Read 13931 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Carrying capacity of the Earth
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »
Earth is no where close to being over capacity. Infact, some theories suggest the 7B people is not even accurate. That being said, transportation is the biggest problem facing our society today (besides the media). With transportation, people can live further apart. Have you ever flown across the US? It is incredibly huge, so much barren empty land where people could live. What do we have though? People living in square boxes the size of a prison cell in a city compact with thousands of people. With better transportation, we could spread people out to cheaper areas and begin to develop those economies. With better and faster transportation, billions of uninhabited square acres of land can be areas for homes for people. Without this kind of transportation, we will not advance very much further as a society. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 04:45:34 AM »
Earth is no where close to being over capacity. Infact, some theories suggest the 7B people is not even accurate. That being said, transportation is the biggest problem facing our society today (besides the media). With transportation, people can live further apart. Have you ever flown across the US? It is incredibly huge, so much barren empty land where people could live. What do we have though? People living in square boxes the size of a prison cell in a city compact with thousands of people. With better transportation, we could spread people out to cheaper areas and begin to develop those economies. With better and faster transportation, billions of uninhabited square acres of land can be areas for homes for people. Without this kind of transportation, we will not advance very much further as a society.

I prefer cities keep their problems in their city.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 07:16:37 AM »
If people were not as fat would there be more room?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
Drive from Indianapolis to Omaha on I80, 600 or so miles of endless Corn. 99% of that corn goes to either ethanol or stock feed not direct human consumption. The problem lies with the fact the agricultural production and human population growth tend to exist in separate geographical areas. Making certain countries like the United States, Canada, Argentina, ect far below carrying capacity, but other countries such as Bengladesh, Egypt, Uganda, ect which have high relative populations above carrying capacity. Education seems to be the driver. Developed nations with higher levels of education tend to have low, or even negative population growth, those countries also have the economic capability to purchase food if they are unable to internally meet domestic demand. Unfortunately, countries to are prone to famine have low education, relatively high population, low education, and lack the means to purchase food from other countries.

Chuikov

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
Some countries they produce like animals still. They have.lots of offspring hoping some will survive. You will see 10 kids all malnourished but the mom seems to be pretty well fed.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:30:43 AM by Skuzzy »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »
I prefer cities keep their problems in their city.

I hate cities.  Despise them.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
Drive from Indianapolis to Omaha on I80, 600 or so miles of endless Corn. 99% of that corn goes to either ethanol or stock feed not direct human consumption. The problem lies with the fact the agricultural production and human population growth tend to exist in separate geographical areas. Making certain countries like the United States, Canada, Argentina, ect far below carrying capacity, but other countries such as Bengladesh, Egypt, Uganda, ect which have high relative populations above carrying capacity. Education seems to be the driver. Developed nations with higher levels of education tend to have low, or even negative population growth, those countries also have the economic capability to purchase food if they are unable to internally meet domestic demand. Unfortunately, countries to are prone to famine have low education, relatively high population, low education, and lack the means to purchase food from other countries.

I guess Darwin was onto something...
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »
The point was, not that I am a proponent of this is, the 1st world nations devote most of its arable land to crops that strictly feed livestock, i.e meat production.
I can understand the argument, use more cropland for basic food stuffs Wheat, Rye, Barley ect, and less for Corn, Sorgum, and Soy. Furthermore, there are still massive tracts of land in the American south dedicated strictly for timber production, although the soil is not the best 'clay' with modern tech, it could be very productive farm land. Personally, i like my pork chops and beef sirloin, and would rather keep them at its current cost. My "aunt in law" worked for the U.N as a aid worker in Ghana, and the few times we've talked, it confirms Vraciu's previous statement.

Chuikov

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2018, 11:06:54 AM »
Well, as you noted, it's insane to me that we burn our food to drive cars.   

The other problem we have is taxation.   Our tax code promotes buying up land, wiping out the farming and low-density housing areas (country homes, small ranches, etc.) for cookie-cutter houses jammed roof to roof.   The area I grew up in is a prime example.   When I was a kid I had an orchard on three sides of my house.   That area is now about as population dense as Rwanda--and not much richer.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:32:36 AM by Skuzzy »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
+1
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2018, 01:58:54 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:33:20 AM by Skuzzy »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:33:37 AM by Skuzzy »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:33:58 AM by Skuzzy »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain