Author Topic: Carrying capacity of the Earth  (Read 13791 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Carrying capacity of the Earth
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:34:13 AM by Skuzzy »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:34:28 AM by Skuzzy »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
We are nowhere close to using up all capacity of the earth.

Humans are very robust and can live in more conditions and on more types of food than just about any other creature.  We live in a wider variety of places than cockroaches and rats.  We can survive off of food that would kill a chimp and that bacteria can't even eat.

Add to this that birthrate decreases as standard of living rises, and that standard of living is rising in the world, and I doubt we will get to an overpopulation crisis.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2018, 04:29:11 PM »
I'm not a malthusian.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:35:31 AM by Skuzzy »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »
A lot of this so called issue would be corrected by thinning out the so called scientist. There are so many that the ones that are not busy are coming up with all kinds a granola for people to "think" they need to worry about.

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
Technology and experimental hermetic closed bio-spheres should give us the potential for artic, desert and underwater cities. 

As Dr. Ian Malcom famously said, "Life finds a way."
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
Soylent Green  :old:
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2018, 12:11:37 AM »
Soylent Green  :old:

"YOU BLEW IT UP!!!!!"     :old:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 12:54:26 AM »
IMO, the biggest problem facing species extinction is modern medicine. We have come so far with meds, that we are basically killing our selves in the future by saving us in the now. Think about it...as far as I can see, there has always been Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancers and STDs, among other melodies, only NOW we can keep them around and breeding. Sounds harsh I KNOW. Its the right thing to do...but every action has an equal and opposite reaction! Its no more survival of the fittest, its the survival of the best access to medical care.   On a SERIOUS NOTE...OUTLAW Plastic Surgery!!!!!! We as men gravitate to beautiful women...if we dont know how our partners really look...WE are DOOMING our posterity to lack luster genes! lol 
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:46 AM »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2018, 04:17:57 AM »
IMO, the biggest problem facing species extinction is modern medicine. We have come so far with meds, that we are basically killing our selves in the future by saving us in the now. Think about it...as far as I can see, there has always been Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancers and STDs, among other melodies, only NOW we can keep them around and breeding. Sounds harsh I KNOW. Its the right thing to do...but every action has an equal and opposite reaction! Its no more survival of the fittest, its the survival of the best access to medical care.   On a SERIOUS NOTE...OUTLAW Plastic Surgery!!!!!! We as men gravitate to beautiful women...if we dont know how our partners really look...WE are DOOMING our posterity to lack luster genes! lol
That is a misconception - you cannot cheat evolution. The fittest survive and carry on, but the criteria for evaluating "fittest" change. The only thing humans can do is to rock our evolution boat hard enough until it capsizes - but then the joke is on us. By that I mean that we extinct ourselves.

We are nowhere close to using up all capacity of the earth.

Humans are very robust and can live in more conditions and on more types of food than just about any other creature.  We live in a wider variety of places than cockroaches and rats.  We can survive off of food that would kill a chimp and that bacteria can't even eat.

Add to this that birthrate decreases as standard of living rises, and that standard of living is rising in the world, and I doubt we will get to an overpopulation crisis.
Yes, but would you LIKE to survive on food that will kill a chimp? Unless the food IS the chimp, my answer would be no. I want more than just survive.

The birth rates in the "west" (this includes Japan S. Korea etc) are going down, but that is not where the world population is. The majority of the world population are still reproducing at high enough rates and that is worse because thay are creating more people who are poor from birth, live with the poor, and will never be anything other than uneducated poor with lots of poor children of their own.

The world does not need to reach max capacity for a tragedy on mass scale - it is enough that regions of it reach capacity limits. The violence and suffering will then spill over to the more advanced civilizations that think that they are safe because we have not reached total global capacity.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2018, 05:43:35 AM »
Humin greed is the key factor.

The world doesn't run on greed, the world runs on envy and jealousy.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2018, 06:37:51 AM »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 07:07:44 AM »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women