Author Topic: Lt. John C. Donnell, Jr. - P-51D "PIN UP GIRL" (L2*V) - 479th FG, 434th FS  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
I’m aware that bands were not immediately removed.  But with nothing else to go on I was leaning toward them having been removed based on photos showing that very thing done to other airplanes in the squadron.  He was downed 15 February.   It is still a possibility, but at this point academic as you have eliminated most of the need for conjecture with these pics.  I can at least skin the bands knowing they were there at some point with the updated nose art. 

Thanks for digging them up.
+1 on that - it's now the skinners prerogative as most spring time 51's in the group had the bands removed. All the 434's had black bands on them upon arrival mid-44  - so Vraciu - what do you want to do?  Black bands or not....still a great skin :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
+1 on that - it's now the skinners prerogative as most spring time 51's in the group had the bands removed. All the 434's had black bands on them upon arrival mid-44  - so Vraciu - what do you want to do?  Black bands or not....still a great skin :aok

I can leave it to a vote.  Lol

I think I know what Devil would say. 

Now, are the invasion stripes on the belly still there?

Do Guppy or Lyric have any more treasure pics buried in their collections somewhere?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
I think I know what Devil would say. 

well if you think that I'm in favor of having the black stripes, you would be right.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
well if you think that I'm in favor of having the black stripes, you would be right.

:D
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
+1 for black stripes
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I will add them in.  Won't be until after this version gets released though.

I need help with the belly stripes.  Are they black-only?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
I will add them in.  Won't be until after this version gets released though.

I need help with the belly stripes.  Are they black-only?

Yes.  Please note how far up the fuselage they are too.  That was the depot applied last version.  And yes this bird should have the ID bands.  The photo evidence supports it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Yes.  Please note how far up the fuselage they are too.  That was the depot applied last version.  And yes this bird should have the ID bands.  The photo evidence supports it.

Black only with no white?  What is that color ahead of the forward black stripe on the left fuselage?   Just metal?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
P-51D-15-NA, s/n 44-14651
"PIN UP GIRL" - L2*V
Lt. John C. Donnell, Jr.
479th Fighter Group, 434th Fighter Squadron
Wattisham, November 1944

This is P-51D "Pin Up Girl" of the 434th Fighter Squadron, 479th Fighter Group, flown by Lieutenant John C. Donnell, Jr.   Originally painted for then-Lieutenant Berkley E. Hollister (four victories) by Sergeant Fred Hayner, the nose art initially included only the name.   Hollister scored two victories with this airplane in August 1944. After Lt. Hollister's tour ended the aircraft was assigned to Lt. John C. Donnell, Jr. at which time the female figure was added to the nose art on the left cowling along with "Muriel of Troy" on the right (in honor of his wife and home town in New York).   Lt. Donnell was shot down and killed by flak near Dreiskau on 14th February 1945.   Captain Hollister died in December 2015 at the age of 95.

Looks like the nose art was completed by the Squadron Painter SSGT Fredrick C. Hayner.  "Muriel of Troy" was in honor of *HIS* wife, not Lt. Donnell's.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Looks like the nose art was completed by the Squadron Painter SSGT Fredrick C. Hayner.  "Muriel of Troy" was in honor of *HIS* wife, not Lt. Donnell's.

‘‘Tis what I said  :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Black only with no white?  What is that color ahead of the forward black stripe on the left fuselage?   Just metal?

Just metal
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Just metal

Excellent. Thanks again. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned